Brad Biggs: Signing JC to a long-term contract is not a slam dunk decision yet.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,272ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    If the team continues to win with him at QB, then I hope we keep him too. So many times, when the starter QB goes down to a major injury - that's the end of your season. A backup who can keep the plane in the air, is a valuable commodity. Especially nowadays where QB's drop like flies in the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,136ß
    This is what i posted before, these are our options:

1.Let Jay walk at season's end, re-sign Josh, draft a Franchise QB. Downside: won't be able to focus on Defense early in the draft.
    2.Franchise Jay, re-sign Josh, put off QB decision until after 2014. Downside: miss out on what may be a good QB draft class in '13.
    3.Franchise Jay, let McCown go, draft a rookie to develop. Similar to #1, but more expensive. Leaves us some wiggle room in the draft.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    If Pompeii is right, and the cornerback class this year really IS bad, and we go to FA to find another starter, we HAVE to look for a QB this year. I'd really like to have both QBs we have now plus a rookie, but I won't complain if McCown goes.

4. kevperro

kevperro
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    470ß
    I'd like to have a bigger body of work from McCown to judge this by. If he continues to play anywhere close to the level he has over 3-4 more games.... I'd personally dump Cutler and go for one in this draft. It saves us a ton of money which could be spent on our many areas of need. If I thought Jay was "the guy" or had the potential to be our Super Bowl QB, I wouldn't feel this way but I think we have seen a big enough body of work from Jay under all kinds of circumstances and what you see is what you get.

5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,933ß
    There are so many moving parts right now.
    Will McCown continue to play well? Personally, I don't see any reason why not
    Will Cutler continue to improve? Again, I don't see why not
    Will he improve enough? That is the $64,000 question
    What will Cutler sign for?
    What will McCown sign for?
    Who will be available to us in the draft?

Right now, I'd still like to see Cutler improve and be our franchise QB. He has made strides but not sure if enough. I wanted to dump McCown, but I just don't know how you can advocate that because of how well he is playing and how cheap he is. He has to be the biggest bang for the buck QB playing right now. And lastly, I don't think you can just stay pat with Cutler and McCown for another year. At some point soon, you need to bring in a young gun.

How all of those ingredients will mix together, I have no idea.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jbunch14

jbunch14
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    219ß
    I have been a huge Cutler supporter, and I still feel like he could develop into a SB QB, however: He is going to be 31 next year, and he has suffered significant injuries in each of the last three years. The clock is ticking in a very bad way. McCown is running the offense efficiently, although I view him as nothing more than a stopgap measure, he has great coaching instincts and could be a great asset to a rookie coming in. Huge talent in the upcoming QB class. Maybe now is the time to tie Trestman to his QB and see how he does. How about a tag-and-trade scenario for Jay? What compensation could we expect?

7. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    I really doubt McCown is that big of a factor in this whole calculation. He's played well (love him for beating Green Bay) but he's also a 34 yo career journeyman who's no threat to be the #1 for any team next year. My point is...I can't believe he's gonna be all that expensive to re-sign (and I do think he should be for several reasons we've been over) so whatever he earns isn't gonna be a deal breaker regarding other moves.

He is, and will be, much cheaper than the $3m+ we wasted on Jason Campbell last year.

8. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    840ß
    I would think the smart play would be to FT JC, resign Josh, draft a qb mid round then after 2014 you can still draft a qb and have some developmental depth when Josh fades away.

• Like Like x 1
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    740ß
    After this last game and my huge dissapointment with Marc and Jay, i would let Jay walk if Josh continues to play smart and giving us first downs, inch by inch.
    Lets not forget, Cutler and McCown had the same number of TD passes last weekend although Jay played 90% of the game!
    He will be more ready for next year too

10. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    That would seem the best plan to me.

• Agree Agree x 1