Brad Biggs: Signing JC to a long-term contract is not a slam dunk decision yet.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    107ß
    I agree with MP and SFBear on this. It just seems to make the most sense. I just wish we knew exactly what Trestman believes he has in Jay Cutler. Jay shows us tantalizing glimpses of being the guy who can win a Super Bowl - but then he has games where he makes poor decisions. He reminds me a bit of Romo in this regard - a guy who can look good in some games, but who is your backbreaker in other games......and will never win a Super Bowl for you. But I realize I'm a meathead fan who knows nothing here. That's why I'd love to know the unvarnished truth about what Trestman sees in Jay. The good, the bad & the ugly.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +445 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I really don't see the need to FT Jay. I don't believe anyone is going to be throwing big time money at Jay's feet especially if Josh keeps performing. If Bears let Jay go outright of course he would be scooped up but I don't believe teams are going to be busting the doors down for him when there better potential QBs in next years draft season for developing teams. So Emery just has to sit back let the lesson play out and the decision will be as obvious.
  3. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I am with the crowd to pick up a mid round QB. We need to focus on defense but have a long term hole at QB. The turd in the punchbowl is that the odds you have a very productive QB goes down quickly the later the draft round. Like JABF said this will be a critically strategic and difficult draft year to navigate.
  4. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    The issue with not using FT is the duration of the contract he will sign. If we can get him for two years at a cheaper per year rate, don't use the FT. I certainly don't want to see a 4 year contract for sure.
  5. RighteousDefector21

RighteousDefector21 Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hello gentlemen, first time poster on your site. I like what I see so far so thanks for having me.

I'm a long time Bears fan. Father is a long time Bears fan as well. I'm also a big Jay Cutler apologist.

Most of that has to do with the fact that he's the most physically gifted and probably the most talented QB to ever take a snap for the Bears. It's nice to see someone, no matter how polarizing, behind center that isn't a retread or a busted early draft pick.

Some of the reason I like Jay a lot is also because he makes Chicago relevant offensively. No, it hasn't always been pretty. No, we haven't always had the pieces in place. No, he hasn't always been able to stay healthy. But many media sources asked the question as to why Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford received big contract extensions without a big playoff track record. It's easy... who else would they rather have that's available? The Bears need to ask that same question.

Be careful what you think of the QB's in this draft... It's not really all it's cracked up to be as a whole. The Bears aren't picking early and I'd personally be weary of taking a QB anywhere in the late first round. The depth of players potentially available on the defensive side of the ball in the late first round all but guarantees us a solid starter next season.

Jay Cutler makes the Bears relevant. He's the best option we have right now and he's already in uniform. Tom Waddle said it well the other day: "Jay is tenth in QB rating and adjusted total QBR. And that's right where I want him to be. He'll never be in the Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees echelon, but we don't need him to be."... obviously paraphrasing slightly if you listen to the show.

Jay has the capability of being a real top ten caliber QB, and has proven to be such on occasion already. And yes, he can win Chicago a Super Bowl. My prediction is that he'll garner about 5 years/$85-90M range. My gut tells me that this is probably already done behind closed doors. With Tillman and Peppers probably unlikely to return, the money will be there to pay Jay.

Thinking positively, he's made strides already under Marc Trestman. A second, third, fourth year in that system could turn him in to the QB Chicago needs him to be.

We've already surrounded him with one of the best sets of weapons in the NFL... Marshall, Forte, Jeffery, both Bennetts, and a retooled offensive line that doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Do we really want to subject that line of stars to dealing with a rookie QB? Hard to imagine B-Marsh staying so positive without his bro in town.

The answer is simple. He's the best thing we can get our hands on anytime soon and it's already pretty good. In a QB driven league, it's slim-pickings out there given that Chicago is going to draft between 18-32. Mettenberger seems like a guy who could fall to Chicago that late. But do you really want to play Zach Mettenberger over Jay Cutler? Even when we can pick up a guy like Bradley Roby or C.J. Mosley or Shazier?

Guys, I'm afraid whether you personally like Jay Cutler or not, the best decision for Chicago is to pay him and keep him here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    107ß
    Welcome to the messageboard. It will be interesting to see what they do with Jay. I'm curious.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    Welcome RD21, JC also makes the Bears irrelevent when he continues to throw td's and turns the ball over at a near 1 to 1 ratio. The best qb's in the league do not do this, and in today's nfl your O cannot afford to be so generous w/giving the other team more posessions and chances to score.

Last year I would have somewhat agreed w/you, but Trestman is proving that he really can take any qb and have them play at a insanely high level compared to their actual talent.

If they keep him I have no issue really, but if they move on it won't ruin my day, or Bears season.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. inchibearfan

inchibearfan Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    (2) I am not impressed with a single quarterback in the 2014 NFL draft. I think its selecting a Matt Ryan for most of the quarterbacks and for Johnny Manziel, he could be boom or bust (e.g., Ryan Leaf).
  9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    If I'm McCown, I do everything I can to stay here. He knows the system, is productive, and is well liked in the locker room. The chance of him going somewhere else and producing again this late in his career aren't in his favor.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    107ß
    I love having a solid backup. We are still winning ball games with our #2 QB. How cool is that?
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,248 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    139ß
    Dude, this is such a good idea, I'm not only stealing it, but I'm going to start saying I came up with it in a few days, and you ripped me off, LOL
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +997 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    How cool is it to be 2-0 with our backup starting and see the Packers go 0-2 with theirs?

I'm so impressed with this above all: McCown has played 8+ quarters and hasn't turned the ball over once.

Are you reading this, Jay?
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,248 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    139ß
    Wait, the Bears are better with a backup QB than the Packers are with theirs? Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it sounds to me like Trestman's able to coach a lot better than anyone's giving him credit for.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1