Brandt thinks Chicago will host draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Jun 11, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    372ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

NFL media senior analyst Gil Brandt said on SiriusXM radio that he thinks that Chicago is the favorite to host the 2015 NFL Draft.

Continue reading...
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,002 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    Im sure every NFL fanbase is thankful for the lack of Jets fans that will be in attendance.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +638 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    If I were a betting man, I would put a hundo on it.

Mayor Rahm has been twisting the Commish's arm for the SB or the draft pretty hard. We all know (including Rahm) that Chicago wont get the SB, but playing his brand of politics has almost secured the draft as a bone tossed by the league to the Mayor. Hell the draft is all the Mayor probably ever wanted, but he played the game and he'll most likely get it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,446 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß

This is exactly the way I see it too.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +489 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    313ß
    The way the draft is growing in interest it may financially be a bigger cash cow in time anyway. You have 3 days of the draft vs one day for the Super Bowl. Somebody will figure out how to market this draft and turn it into a cash cow equivalent to the Super Bowl as far as the City profits go. It only makes sense you have 3 times the opportunities, and lots of teams within 8 t0 12 hours to Chicago by car. Even California is 5 hrs by plane, and 3 hrs or so by plane to New York and lots of money in those states for those who want t0 be a part of it.

The City and infrastructure is already in place and the more than enough bars downtown to the burbs. Lots of possibilities from an advertising side, the infracture exists including hotels, food, and party locations, transit, etc,. City needs to turn this into the NFL version of Mardi Gras with everyone in their team Jerseys instead of costumes and punctuate it with the draft.

I can see this being somethings cities start to bid for much like the Super Bowl. Hopefully they will restrict it to teams who can not host the Super Bowl due to weather and stadium combinations and make this an opportunity for those cities to showcase themselves.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Much more than one day for the Super Bowl.

It is known as Super Bowl week for a reason. Where ever the game is hosted is a cash cow for the entire week
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +489 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    313ß
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,446 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Yep, at least that gives the cities a even chance to recoup some of their expenditures.

But BSB's point is well taken. Chicago is an almost perfect location because of it's central location and ease of travel to and from. The East Coast has had the benefit of this event long enough. It's time to either spread it around or to let Chicago bid on keeping it located there. The city will never see a Super Bowl as long as the Bears are playing in SF and LA makes very little sense because if they won't support an NFL team why would they get all excited about hosting the draft?

This is a golden opportunity to show how well it works out with Chicago hosting although I wonder if they wouldn't be better off going out to Rosemont than to have in at somewhere like McCormick place. It's much closer to O'Hare and less congested out there than in the city although the could still hold some events there too.
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +489 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    313ß
    That was my point they turned one day of the Superbowl into a week.

They will figure out how to turn the 3 days of the draft into a week long party too.
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    That would be horrible. Each round has its own day? I guarantee that the last two or three days will cost the hosting city money due to lack of interest
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,446 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Yeah, three days of waiting to find out whose Mr. Irrelevant is already more than enough. They already have it strung out longer than Grateful Dead jam.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +489 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    313ß
    NO, NO, NO, NO.... Not suggesting they make the draft longer, just suggesting they make the festivities around the draft longer. Get all the fans in from different teams and have pre-draft and draft party venues. Get the players invited to the draft out to meet the crowd. I just threw this out as an example, but I could see the marketing arm turning the draft into a week long session over the 3 days of the actual draft and make it a cash cow as well.
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    I will play along because I am bored

Sunday-Celebration of all things football, special attention paid to the team with the #1 overall pick. Interview with the network.

Monday- Media Day 1- 32 booths, one for each team. GM, HC, last years first round pick. Members of the real media only

Tuesday- Media Day 2- 32 booths, one for each team. GM, HC, last years first round pick. Fans asking questions

Wednesday- Round 1

Thuraday- Round 2-4

Friday- Round 5-7 pick 31

Saturday- Celebration of all things football fans. Recap of draft, celebrate the football fans. Contests with fans to see who can accurately predict Mr Irrevelent. Prize, seats to the SB and tickets to next years draft. Interviews with fans Ect. Focus on Mr. Irrevelent too though; like a game show, reality show. Mr. Irrevelent gets a trip to Hawaii.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    You'd be surprised how well they travel!
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I gotta be honest...I think you people have a serious misconception on how much money the Superbowl actually brings to it's host city. It actually ends up costing much more than it's worth when you take a look at all the demands the NFL has. Sure, some businesses get a momentary boost, but in the long run everyone ends up paying for it with the multi-million dollar breaks the NFL receives. Hosting the draft here in Jersey was a financial nightmare. I also think you're overestimating how many people actually go to watch the draft live. Radio City Music Hall has a seating capacity of 6,000. It's less for the draft because of all the team personnel that are there, two networks, etc, etc. It's not like there are 70,000 plus people in the city for a week. I mean good for Chicago if it gets the draft...I love the city, and the Bears...but let's not make this out like it's a financial windfall waiting to happen...it's not.
    • Like Like x 1