Breaking News: Bears sign Brian de la Puente

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Apr 6, 2014.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    603ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    No need to draft a center this year or even next year. Next draft is almost a lock for ALL defense other than a possible low low QB pick.

2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    810ß
    DLP should be the starter, Garza is paid too much not to start. Most likely Garza could retire. What's the catch that DLP couldn't find FMV?

3. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    Expect the un-expected from Phil. It looks like there isn't much/any hit to the salary cap. I don't understand why DLP would go for the deal. He must want to work with the Komer. That would be a really weird vibe if your team Captian is second string (assuming no injuries).
    The Saints look to be in a bad position now at center. The guy they are pinning their hopes on started two games last year at guard. I can't tell if he has collegiate time as a center, but his draft profile is as a guard. Strange situations, but I would expect them to pick up another center.
    Boggs moves further down the food chain. DLP would need a back-up next year if we keep him, so Boggs isn't out completely. But how many back-up offensive linemen will we be carrying during the season. He must be at least a bit worried.

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,803ß
    Yikes. I just saw that this was already posted. Sorry for the double post. Maybe a mod can delete the thread.

#54 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    810ß
    Is Boggs still eligible for P.S?

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,803ß
    It's a classic Emery move. We signed him for peanuts and we're not married to him long-term. Worst case, a position of weakness just got stronger - much needed depth if nothing else. Kromer has one less position of need going into the draft. It's win/win. Classic Emery move.

#56 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,923ß
    The changes in the CBA are having a lot to do with some of this I'd guess. You take a team like NOLA who had a gun put to their head by Brees a couple of years ago, then they get into it with Graham over whether he should be tagged as a TE or a WR, and then throw the Jarius Byrd deal in there and they need to cut guys. It looks like the line where they've gone for the $$$. They let Nicks got to TB, then Bushrod to us and now de la Puente. Rookies are just so much cheaper when you have all those big contracts to eat every year.

Some teams just find better ways to handle it and thankfully the Bears are one of them ever since Cliff Stein became the capologist. We saved roughly $9.8 mil in cap space by releasing Pep. We could have saved closer to $14 mil but they decided not to split his dead cap spce into two years and but the bullet now.

With that cap savings the got Houston ($5 mil), Young ($2.7 mil) and Allen ($3 mil) in exchange for just the net cap saving obtained by releasing Pep. That's a pretty swift 3 for 1 swap huh? And the roughly $9.7 mil in 2014 cap for these guys is a just a little more than what Pep's cap costs would have been if he'd played under his old deal. That's freed up $$$ for quite a few others.

It's easier to fix most problems when you have some spare cash you can throw at them right. We've all had that experience a few times before in our lives.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,292ß
    I get all the cap implications, Soul. But we are talking about a vet min deal which is pocket change by NFL standards. Even a rookie draftee isn't much less expensive than that.

9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,434ß
    yeah... really, I kind of feel bad for de la Puente. Phil picked his pocket.

10. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,923ß
    Maybe he wanted more than that but I was just speaking in general terms. I'm guessing that like Bushrod he liked the idea of coming to play for Kromer again and he know he has a shot to compete even this year for a starting job and he should just waltz into it and a longer term deal next year.

PS: It looks like it's coming about where offensive players actually want to come here to play now too. Not just the defensive guys. These older vets are looking for a ring too and the Bears look like they might contend for one.

• Like Like x 1