BREAKING NEWS: Melton done for the year

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 23, 2013.

1. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    to be honest collins has been out playing him but still a huge blow cause our depth there sucks. I would avoid any long term deal so we dont end up in another t harris situation

is okoye still around?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. A-11

A-11

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Yup, I can see it saving us 10+ million. Sad, but that's the break tear down.
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 2 / -1
    It may have been, but I think this actually increases the odds of re-signing him. His guaranteed money in the next contract just went way down. He just became much more affordable, though at a risk (see Tommie Harris).
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +375 / 0 / -0
    I like Collins and Minter next up and comers. I also liked Melton when he was up and comer but once they showed him the money he disappeared.
  5. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    This stinks especially with our lack of D-Line depth. Are there any decent DT that are free agents that we could pick up on the cheap?
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    Obviously we won't be able to replace a Pro Bowl defensive lineman. Losing a Pro Bowl player is a blow. But there is a guy who they might want to kick the tires on. Richard Seymour is available. He's 34 years old, but was in the Pro Bowl in 2011 (and is a 7 time Pro Bowl player). I like Collins to start, but Minter, much as I like him as an undrafted rookie "project" player, is not going to help much THIS year. A guy like Seymour could quickly spin up as depth in the rotation.

Here's an article on Richard Seymour from over this past summer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. beardownboilerup

beardownboilerup

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    do we have enough in cap space for richard seymour?
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    I think we have enough for a pro rated Vets minimum
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    Wouldn't the IR negate the money owed against the cap? either way, this is a perfect situation for both Seymour and Chicago, were they to come together.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    +1

His last year he made ~ $1-mil. We have that kind of money, especially now that Pep restructured.
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    This is the best I could find, but it is from 2011

Q&A: NFL's injured-reserve list has salary cap ramifications
    By Jeff Legwold
    The Denver Post

Posted: 08/22/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT5 comments

Today's questions about the Broncos come from Steve in Cumberland, Md.:

Q: How does a player's injury affect the salary cap? For example, would putting defensive tackle Ty Warren on injured reserve create salary cap space to sign another player?

A: When an NFL player is placed on injured reserve, it ends his season on the field. He can continue to work out and do his rehab in his team's training facility and take part in other off-the-field team activities, but he can't participate in practices — including walkthrough sessions.

When a player goes on injured reserve, his full salary cap figure counts against his team's salary cap unless otherwise specified in the player's contract. A "split" contract, usually for a late-round draft pick or an undrafted rookie, calls for that player to get half his salary if he is placed on injured reserve.

Warren, who has a two-year contract worth $8 million, would count fully against the Broncos' salary cap if he were to be put on injured reserve. Warren might miss the whole season because of his triceps injury. But the Broncos want to talk to their doctors after Warren's surgery before deciding whether to put the Texas A&M product on injured reserve.

"We'll wait and see what the doctors say, discuss it, look at all the options and hopefully we see a way to get him back during the season," coach John Fox said.

The Broncos would be willing to keep Warren on the active roster if he can play at all this season. He could be back in November if his surgery and rehab go well.

NFL teams try to factor in the cost of players on injured reserve against the salary cap when they make their business plans each year. Last season, one of the remarkable things about the Green Bay Packers' run to winning Super Bowl XLV was their ability to overcome injuries. They had 15 players on injured reserve by the time they advanced to the Super Bowl.

There was no salary cap last season, so the Packers didn't have to deal with that. But their championship showed the power of their young, deep roster.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18728864
  12. a_miljan

a_miljan

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    i think this is a huge blow for us, but we should not let this bring us down... i hope collins steps up, and fills the gap as good as he can

JABF, wheres your Long? you took a great player, and now... :)
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    Uh, already one of if not the thinnest position depth-wise on the team loses an impact player.
  14. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    This blows chunks. I like Minter, but he still needs lots of work. I just hope Emery can pull some magic from his bag. With the marginal dline play we have been experiencing this year, he may have been shopping already.
  15. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    Its a big loss sure but the fact is that he wasn't playing well so far. Paea is ideal at Melton's spot, as its where he dominated at in college. Collins is a good player. Bears depth isn't great but if you're on the roster you should be able to play. They move guys around as it is, so get Wooton & Peppers rushing from the DT spot more on 3rd downs. And its time for Emery to work the phones to see if any DTs, that fit what we do, are available. If it was Peppers that was out for the year, I'd be depressed. They can get over the Melton injury.
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    Well, Peppers has been almost invisible all year as well.... so it is a bigger problem than some are seeing
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    Wasn't invisible last night...nailing that coffin shut. And Peppers has been a FAR more consistent player than Melton. I think so many even forget how many times Peppers finds himself double teamed and has the game planned around him. Peppers means more to our D than Melton.
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    Did you see how slowly he was running? There is something wrong with him, and he looks like a shell of his former self.
  19. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we can afford to re-sign BOTH Jennings and Tillman now.
  20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    LOL Mr. Benjamin he's much older. He's not 100%. What do you expect from the guy? I'd be more irritated by the healthy guys like Shea & Wooton that aren't making any impact plays on that line.