BREAKING NEWS: Melton done for the year

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Mike Brown was missed more than Tommie, by far. Also, most of the second half meltdowns (except the Bucs game, which Rex actually went clutch) can be attributed to BAD QB play, especially Rex Grossman being more interested in the NYE party than the Packers game, which he went away with a 0.0 QB rating
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster SuperFan

Not forgetting that at all. But if we stay in a 4-3 then we can resign players who still have 2 or 3 years of productivity left and try to fill in the rest. If we switch to a 3-4 we need wholesale changes at DL, LB and then maybe deal with replacing Tillman.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters

Melton won't be as big a loss as some are making it out to be. He was playing like crop and was obviously still trying to shake off a concussion and a slow start from missing the preseason.

The way Melton was playing, Collins and/or Minter will be a wash in his place and may even be an improvement at this point.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I understand your point that Melton wasn't 100% yet, but he was headed in that direction. A healthy Melton is one of the top DL's in the entire NFL, a Pro Bowl DT. I like Collins as much as anyone, but he's not a Pro Bowl player. And Minter? He is nothing more than an UFA rookie "project" that may or may not make it in the NFL, even as a backup.

Gotta keep it "real" here.

Losing a Pro Bowl DL when the defensive line is struggling already - is not a good thing.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

With as many who are FAs as there are, it would be very easy I sign players to start the transition to one year deals an draft their replacements.
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear

As "real" as I can keep it. If the 3tech position can garner the same numbers w/o Melton as it does with him then that is acceptable. Currently, the pass rush is at low tide. I'll take putting in a decent player like Collins, changing the dynamic early, and letting the defense gel now as opposed to later when we're desperate.
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

+1 He wasn't even playing well in the Steelers game. I'll be glad when the Bears don't bother resigning him. I don't want to see the Tommie Harris saga play out all over again.
  8. Cenra7

Cenra7

Melton was a loss, but not a huge loss. I think they will be able to fill his spot without losing much at all.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68

I agree. Melton wasn't doing squat. Not to say he wouldn't have picked it up (or maybe not, you don't know) but he wasn't playing anywhere near pro bowl level. He did have a history of disappearing for weeks at a time before. After he went out, Collins made a noticeable difference in getting more pressure up the middle. There were quite a few players last year around the NFL who mumbled a bit about Melton's pro-bowl selection and Emery turned out to be wise in not handing him a big LT deal based on only one year of major production.

We DO need to sign a vet DT (Okoye?) for backup though.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

just to get it right: I'm not talking about a switch now during the season. I say that Melton won't be anything special as UFA and not a must keep player - like a DT that goes to the Pro Bowl again.
    Now we won't have to keep him if we don't want to. DJ Williams and Anderson only have signed for this year. Briggs can play as ILB in a 3-4. As can Bostic, Greene and Shea and Washington.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

Are we going to sign a DT? What the hell is Emery waiting for?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Benjamin

someone worth signing that is better than what we already have, who is that much better to justify spending money on a player who might only be marginally better than what we already have
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Tarkus

Tarkus

^^This^^

We should know by now Emery is not one for knee jerk reactions...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68

He is also Mr. Prepared who knows what's out there at every position. There aren't going to be stud DTs just lying around unsigned at this point. We just need a vet depth player who can fill a role in rotation. I can't believe the club would leave that to Minter as a rookie udfa.
  15. The Benjamin

If the veteran player is about the same as Minter, you likely will
  16. dachuckster

dachuckster SuperFan

^^This^^

If they are the same you will see what you have in Minter by playing him. Maybe even develop a solid player in the rotation over time.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

That's my feeling too. Emery will "dumpster dive" and look over "road-kill" to see who might be able to be on an NFL depth chart. Also, when they sign the guy, he won't know squat about our defense. At least a green UFA rookie like Minter has been through training camp. People who think you easily replace a loss of a Pro Bowl player are in denial. Our defense is "less than it was" no matter how a person tries to sugar coat it.

Henry Melton > Collins > Minter

The guy Emery pulls out of the toilet will be less than Minter (initially at least) otherwise the guy would be on a roster right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

If Minter secured a roster spot, then the Bears should not be hesitant to play him regardless of his inexperience. Everyone single person on the 53man roster should be a guy that can come in and play at a moment's notice. And if they can't do that effectively to some degree, then they don't belong on the 53 man roster. Get Minter out there and see what he can do. And if he can't play then get him the hell off the 53 man roster.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

That's a good way to look at it. I'm trying to get over the disappointment of Melton being out for the season.......but I'll get over it :-)
  20. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

I agree totally, there is a reason they we're picked to be on the 53 man roster. The sad thing of it is that most teams don't think this way especially with young guys. I understand Emery looking around for veteran depth (you can never have too much depth especially on the DL) but Minter should be able to play.
    • Like Like x 1