BREAKING NEWS: Melton done for the year

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 23, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,293ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Yep, no way Melton is back at any time this year. He may never be back for the Bears at all. Hate to say it, but Phil will prob draft his replacement and move on from a player who will be trying to return from a concussion and and an ACL surgery. Not worth much risk, that's the reality.

2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    I disagree heartily. He moved damn fine off the snap and after that fumble recovery.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multime...n-for-TD/46bf9432-ca06-413e-97dd-149d66205958

His burst was on display right off the snap and as he broke away from a hold damn quickly straight toward the sideline and cruised on in. Not exactly what I would call a great example of his deteriorating skills.

3. popcornlover

popcornlover Guest

ßearz ßuckz:
    I Think he will sign for the bears at the vet min.................. for next year

4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    I'd like to believe that in the altruistic sense of loyalty. However, I can easily see the situation souring and there's always a team willing to throw out decent money on guys like him just for the right to purchase his "loyalty" down the road should he regain his footing and rebound.

5. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    120ß
    Said it during the offseason... I wouldn't pay up to him. He's more a product of Peppers. Peppers had 3 bad games and while Peppers was bad, Melton hasn't done anything. Coincidence?

I doubt he stays with our team. Still go with my prediction that Melton will sign somewhere else and Peppers gets cut and we end up with a 3-4. McClellin, Washington, Bosic, Greene - those picks would all look good in a 3-4.
    If we stay with a 4-3 we have to find an impact DE

• Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    Let's not go all crazy with the 3-4 talk, just yet. To reference the Bears defense and to paraphrase Mark Twain: "Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated." Meaning, if the defense can still play well (and, as an interesting parallel, the '06 defense did pretty well when they lost Tommie Harris), an automatic conclusion that we'll go to a 3-4 is a bit much. Hell, Melton's gonna have troubles expecting big money coming off an ACL injury. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a smaller paycut, but somewhere else, because Chicago Bears who have a higher view of themselves tend to do just that (or retire).

• Like Like x 1
  7. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    972ß
    My feeling is that the 4-3 to 3-4 transition will require more new players than replacing what needs to be immediately done in our current scheme.

Can Lance Briggs play a 3-4 LB or Anderson? Who will play the NT? Do you see our current DE's being productive in a 3-4?

IMO, switching to a 3-4 would take all our 2014 draft choices and a lot of free agent cap money (maybe all of it).

Not saying that we won't eventually switch to a 3-4, but it may be 3 or 4 years down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,226ß
    Don't forget, we have ALOT of expiring contracts this year. Especially on defense

9. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    191ß
    Not really. After Harris' injury against the Vikings, they gave up 27 to the Rams, 31 to the Buccaneers, 21 to the Lions, and 27 to the Packers. It was a real concern going into the playoffs. They did alright against the Seahawks and good against the Saints, but they were pretty awful in the Super Bowl. Two crappy RBs ran all over them and Manning didn't even have to do much of anything. It was especially frustrating because history has shown that if you put Peyton Manning in a close game in the playoffs, he will find a way to choke. I think that a healthy Harris might have changed the outcome, and I am certain that a healthy Harris and a healthy Mike Brown definitely would have changed the outcome. That being said, Mike Brown was never healthy. :(

10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    How about moving Wootton to tackle on passing downs? I agree that Collins has been playing better than Melton. I like his quickness.