Brian Urlacher using his new Fox Sports job to criticize Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 11, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Brian Urlacher using his new Fox Sports job to criticize Bears

BY RICK MORRISSEY

Sports Columnist

Last Modified: Mar 11, 2014 02:19AM
    In order to spare you future irritation, allow me to anticipate Brian Urlacher’s very public reaction to the inevitable moments of when the Bears part company with some of his former teammates.

On long snapper Patrick Mannelly: “Chicago has lost a great statesman. Clearly, Bears general manager Phil Emery is a Communist.’’

On cornerback Charles Tillman: “Who among us can love again after this?’’

On linebacker Lance Briggs: “Has anybody seen Emery and Putin in the same room together? Yeah, I didn’t think so.’’

On cornerback Tim Jennings: “Joan of Arc, Abraham Lincoln, Simba’s father in ‘The Lion King’ and now Tim Jennings. Tragic.’’

On defensive end Julius Peppers: “Michael Jordan meets Albert Einstein. Somebody arrest Emery for a double homicide.’’

On safety Craig Steltz: (Biting his fist to fight off tears) “I can’t talk right now.’’

On quarterback Jay Cutler: “One, he never was a winner. Two, he’ll never work at Fox Sports.’’

We all understand that Fox pays Urlacher to stir the pot and a TV analyst with no opinions is not an analyst but a coat tree. Perhaps our ears are too acutely tuned to anything even hinting at controversy from the ex-Bear, but it seems that Urlacher’s most-pointed opinions have had to do with his former team. And at least from the vantage point of our fair city, it’s hard to figure out how Urlacher does his job with all the sour grapes in his mouth.

Last week, he ripped the Bears for letting returner Devin Hester walk.

“Look at what the Steelers have done the last couple days signing Troy Polamalu, Heath Miller, some older guys to a couple more years just so they can retire as Steelers,” Urlacher told FoxSports.com. “The Bears could do that with Devin. He should retire a Bear. He set all those records in a Bears uniform, and his No. 23 should be retired one day in Chicago.

“It’s just the loyalty factor. It’s just not there. He should be a guy that retires as a Bear.”

This is indeed about loyalty and Urlacher’s sense that the Bears showed him none when they made him a one-year, $2 million contract offer in 2013. That memory seems to bleed into everything he says about his former team. He never seems to tire of ripping the franchise for firing Lovie Smith and, more to the point, for existing.

It’s worth mentioning that no other team was interested in Urlacher’s services when the Bears made what he considered a paltry contract offer. At the time, I thought they were silly to make him any offer. They clearly didn’t want him back and were offering him a contract for public-relations purposes. Dumb decision, and this is what that decision has wrought — a man with a TV show who is angry at the only offer he received.

The surprising part is that Urlacher, like all the people who have had the privilege of playing in the NFL, knew the day would come when he was going to be cast aside. Death, taxes and the end of a football career. All inevitabilities.

When things end badly for a beloved athlete, it’s always best for him to get away, create some distance. Time and space can heal a whole lot of hurt. Look at what it did for the Big Hurt, Frank Thomas. He had a messy ending with the White Sox in 2005, went away in body and spirit, and now their differences are history. Everybody’s smiling.

As we’re finding out with Urlacher, the healing process is not helped when the former athlete is handed a microphone on a regular basis. I’m sure Fox is encouraging him to talk about what he knows best, the Bears, and then branch out. It might want to start a Bear Rip-of-the-Week segment just for Urlacher.

I don’t sense this is doing a lot of good for his reputation in Chicago, though the memories of him chasing down running backs will be the lasting ones. The grumblings about his former team won’t last.

But it has gotten old already. And it’s not particularly valid.

It was time for Hester to go. It was well past time for Lovie to go. It might be time for Tillman to find employment elsewhere. That’s how it works in pro sports.

Maybe Thomas can lend Urlacher his nickname. The Bears icon still seems to be hurting in a big way.

Copyright © 2014 — Sun-Times Media, LLC
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +495 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    Pretty good Summation. Urlacher needs to go away for a while and come to peace with the situation before he is the most disliked Bear in History
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    Yep, but it's allowed, if that is how he chooses to use his knew position and voice he's allowed. It won't last very long though as it will get old; especially as the team starts to turn the corner and starts getting into the playoffs again.
  4. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    He never impressed me as being the most mature individual with his rants against fans who criticized him or his teammates over the years. It seems to me that BU had a pretty hard landing at the end of his career.

I expect his adjustment to how his career ended will take a while, if he ever comes to terms with it. There is a real family retired Bear greats who can get together and still bask in the adoration Bear fans. Unless Brian gets his act together he stands the risk of always being on the outside looking in. As much as his sniping at the team pisses me off, I feel sorry for him.
  5. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I hope alot of fans write to Fox and they eventually pull his reins back a bit
  6. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +639 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    RICK MORRISSEY, not particularly a fan of his but...:36_1_55[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Brian was a great football player for the Bears for a long time. I'm sure Urlacher is still feeling the sting of how he was treated by the Bears. I'm sure if the Bears had it to do over, it would be handled differently. He went from being the face of the Bear franchise to being out of football. Was it time for him to go, I'm not sure. No other team picked him up. I guess that meant his playing days were over. I read a book about going from "somebody to nobody." It talked about the challenges of not being on top anymore, and dealing with being an average Joe. Some people with big ego's never are able to accept their new role as the average Joe. I guess Brian is bitter and still mad at the Bears. He will probably be mad for a long time, and take every opportunity to slam the Bears. He is only hurting himself, and the opinion people have of him.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,851 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    103ß
    It's pretty sad now. He's just hurting himself with this. It reminds me of Gale Sayers rants. People quickly see you as a pathetic disgruntled ex-player who can't deal with life after the playing days are over. The people who pay him now are just using him for his name. After awhile he'll be irrelevant and they'll toss him like a used condom.
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    Many ex players like Brian are critical of their team as announcers and for a season or two it may be intriguing for the casual fan. But in the long run being overly critical or bitter isn't good for either ratings or market share.

Eventually they will look for another color guy. If Brian wishes a long career in broadcasting he should mend fences with fans which at least would be a fall back position for him as he is not yet wowing anyone with great analysis.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I would like the Bears and Brian to mutually mend the fence. Their is egg on both of them. The mutual fence mending would be great for both of them. It is tough to see the former face of the franchise bad mouthing the Bears. Get together Brian and the Bears apologize to each other, and move on in a positive way.
  11. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,492 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Well, Brian, the problem with over-paying veterans (out of loyalty) until they retire (regardless of how they perform)... is they, you know, never seem to retire when you do that... because why the hell would they?

Brian would have played until he was 40 if they kept paying him $2.5m/yr
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    One day , I hope to see a reunion night ( with a clip of John Belushi saying " we're putting the band back together " ) when all of these guys come back , and get honored during halftime . But it won't happen if Lach keeps running his jibs .
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    What exactly would they be honored for? They didn't win shit
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    This group has given us some of the greatest memories in Bears history . They don't have to " win " something to be honored . Some of them are Bears H.O.F'ers though for sure .
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Sorry, I don't like celebrating TEAMS that don't win anything. Honoring a player for what they did sure, but a team, no.

As a Cub fan, it makes me sick that fans celebrate the 1969 Cubs. That team had some great players, but they crapped the bed. Celebrate the player, honor the player, not the team. Because at the end of the day, the team with these guys did not win a Super Bowl.
  16. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    I agree and that's what I meant with my original post . Lach , Peanut, DH - just some of the guys like that .
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Speaking of Lach though, he is a filthy hypocrite.

Remember back about 3-4 years he got pissy for Sayers talking bad and telling the truth about where they were?

Lach got post saying something like "We have enough daggers being thrown at us, we don't need them coming from inside the Bears family"

Which is exactly what he is doing now.

Filthy hypocrite.
  18. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    He's talking out of loyalty to guys he's played with . And him saying that he thinks not re-signing Peanut is a mistake is no real big deal to me . It's an opinion and I think too many people are reading this the wrong way and making mountains outta molehills . Someday they'll kiss and make up and all will be well . Which is the way it should be ( barring anything outrageously unforgivable being said in the future ) .
  19. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    There will be no kissing and making up between Urlacher and the Bears until Emery is gone, he hates Emery for "disrespecting him"
  20. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    The main reason why i want Emery to keep doing what he's doing concerning players and making the team better, I really hope he can bring a championship to the city and I would love to see what dumb ass urlacher gonna say then....lol