Briggs out 4-6 Weeks

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 21, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    When Briggs went out Castanzo and Greene shared time. Should be interesting in what they do.

Trestman in his presser at 12 said that either Anderson or Bostic will call the D plays.
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Yeah, im trying to find the silver lining in this mess, and all i can come up with is that it is as good a time as any to get them some starting reps (Bostic and Greene), seeing as how they are going to be the future of the LB corps anyway. We kind of knew that Trestman's first season was not going to be a Superbowl one, and that 3-0 start lifted our expectations way too high. But, the other silver lining: it is good to see that we are getting our offense in order, and we can pretty much blame the missteps of this season to Injuries, and poor DEFENSIVE play.

All in all...i like where this team is headed. I hate injuries, especially when they happen to multiple key players, this year has just been a straight up curse, but many of the pieces are in place for the future, and that is a good sign.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    ya the O is defnately headed in the right direction, and most, if not all, knew the D was headed for full blown rebuild it not this year, then next. Now we see the team should have just went w/this year.

it sucks b/c the O showed up 1 year to late; and in reality Emery should have never had to keep Lovie last year IF he didn't want to. If the team could have got Emery last year, then the team might well have been able to get the O respectable enough, and have a respectable enough D to make a run at the playoffs, this year though, b/c of the age and inj's not so much.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. milehibearsfan

milehibearsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just a thought, but the way the Dlinemen and linebackers are dropping DA Bearss would probably be without Urlacher by now too. Conte Sucks and where is Major Wright.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    The way the inj bug hit, Izzy and BU would both have been out by pre season or week 2.
  6. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    the good thing is that Trestman was the PERFECT choice for this time in the NFL...it is a QB-centric league now, and shootouts are the norm over defensive battles. Lovie was trying to re-live the glory days of the early 00's Buccs success, but that time was over...just look at our 2005 season, we played lights out on defense, best in the league, finish 11-5, and were one and done.

Now is the time that we can focus on offense, and put up 30+ points a game on a regular basis, and get into these shootouts. If we can get that consistent in scoring, like your Broncos or Saints, we will only need a "Mediocre" defense to help us get a championship.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    I agree, new DL and new DB's in the FA and draft, and a legit backup qb to step in for Cutler inj's, and or step in for Cutler when/if he moves on, then next year continue to build the OL and WR's and overall depth.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    My fault, was posting from my phone earlier and the thread wasn't coming up lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Im kind of expecting Emery to focus on drafting a future starting QB, either this draft or next. We have Long and Mills for OL for the foreseeable future (10 year starters even), so a couple more OL in the next few years to replace Garza/Bushrod/Slauson, and we will have a young, talented OL for quite some time...offense starts there. AJ is going to take over the #1WR position when we lose Marshall (2014, unless he re-signs). Black Unicorn is going to stay here awhile i think (2016), but im sure we will be drafting a complimentary TE at some point in the next few years. Then we have Forte...he is going to be more difficult to replace. Overall, our offensive situation bodes well for a young QB.

LT: Bushrod:Kyle Long will take over in due time
    LG: Slauson:needs replacing..contract is up after this season, might re-sign.
    C: Garza: probably going to replace in this upcoming draft
    RG: Long:going to switch to LT in a year or two, going to need a new RG
    RT: Mills: a permanent starter for years to come.

TE1: Black Unicorn: signed through 2016. Plenty of time.
    TE2: Maneri?:going to need to address this soon. Either this draft or next, or FA.

RB1: Matt Forte: Signed through 2015, plenty of time to find his replacement down the road.
    RB2: Bush: Also signed through 2015, so RB will be addressed 2014 draft i would guess.
    FB: Fiametta: 1 year deal, can probably sign him to a decent FB extension.

WR1: Marshall: Signed through 2014. Might extend him. If not, AJ will take over #1 spot in 2015.
    WR2: AJ: If he keeps up his progress, going to receive a huge extension in 2015 (contract year).
    WR3: Bennett: also signed through 2015. Probably draft another WR in the 14 draft.

QB: Cutler: No clue what is going to happen.

So, looking at our offensive needs going forward, i would break down our future drafts as thus:

2013 Draft: C, TE, LG, QB?
    2014 Draft: RB, WR, RG
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Yeah, I'm not ready to completely give up on a 4-3 team just yet. Partially because we will prolly find a way to win at least 3-5 more games and that will put us in the black hole of the 7-9 win season. Yet another missed playoffs and crappy draft pick. So with that said the defense is broke, the tampa 2 is outdated and frankly no longer a respectable scheme. Therefore if we have any other thing we put in we have a bye week to get accustom to using it. Our front 4 sucks and we have aggressive young LBs. I know I'm not Tucker but I would love to see him let our young LBs loose. Let Bostic and Greene play aggressively, fast, and instinctively and go hunt Rodgers. Man blitz may be what we have to do...will we get burned, im sure but if we can force some arid throws and create some pressure maybe we can save some hope and not give up 40+/425+ each week.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    I tend to believe Boggs is the future Center, but even if not, the Bears can draft a C in any of the late rounds and get a good one. TE LG and QB yep agree w/most of that. I tend to think they'll cut Bush since they aren't using him anyways, call up Ford and then draft another late round RB or get one in UDFA.
    2014, if Ford/UDFA cannot replace forte eventually then ya. RB, OL every year until we have good depth so ya.
  12. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2013 draft was a while ago Jimmors!

Anyway I'm not sure Long will take over LT any time soon, Bushrod signed a five-year deal, 3-4 years I see as more realistic for when Long takes over the LT. Slauson will probably end up getting re-signed seeing how much attention needs to be given to the D and Emery have already expressed his satisfaction with him.
    The defense has to be the focus point in the up coming draft. Offense needs to hold on a bit longer and I'm sure they are able to, espeically if they resign Cutler to another deal, Trestman will get more familiar with the players and the players will get more familair with the playbook and Trestman.
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hmmm maybe this is perfect time to get certain DE time at a LB position.....what's it gonna hurt?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rogelio

Rogelio Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Keep in mind that Bushrod, Slauson, Long, Mills and Bennett have had a huge deal to do with our offense being better. It wasn't just playcalling. But yes, combine this offensive coaching/talent with the defensive talent (can't really judge Tucker yet) from the last few years, and we'd certainly be looking at a first round bye in the playoffs, rather than an all-round bye.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    True, but Rog, maybe w/Trestman here we draft DeCastro last year instead of Shea. Now the OL has 3 new young guys on the line in DeCastro, Long and Mills, or maybe they go w/DeCastro, Eifert/Warford(who was 1 position behind Long in the top rookies article) and now you still have 3 guys in place, and a young TE to boot.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    I was tying the draft with a particular season to avoid confusion, since all of the contract numbers are based on season years, not offseason. So if a contract is up in 2014, then its easier to say "we need a replacement in the 2014 (feb '15) draft," instead of saying "2015," because then you are thinking that its a year too late.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That is the only brightside of all these injuries that I can see is that our Rookies are getting a fair amount of playing time.
  18. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Good thing I traded the Bears D in FF.

My boss, the CFO and I we're discussing this very topic at work this morning. We should have gone with DeCastro or Chandler Jones but it was likely that the 2012 draft was a Lovie Smith draft especially with drafting Shea.
  19. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't think we need a LG to be honest. I would think that if you could get Slauson to re-sign at a reasonable price I would do it. I think they should look at Boggs for the new C.
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    A bit off topic but if long keeps excelling at RG there is no reason to move to LT. Remember the Trestman Kromer system relies heavily on short sets and they require a lot of pulling with G lead plays in the run game. IE, guards in this system are as important if not more. Besides why would we risk moving a great RG to LT and risk regression.
    • Like Like x 1