Briggs to wear a Shoulder Harness in 2014

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Mar 17, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4691133/briggs-to-wear-shoulder-harness-in-14
    Briggs to wear shoulder harness in '14
    March, 17, 2014
    Mar 17
    2:20
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com
    CHICAGO -- The left shoulder injury that knocked Bears linebacker Lance Briggs out of seven games last season will force the seven-time Pro Bowl selection to wear a harness under his shoulder pads next season.

Briggs told ESPN 1000's "Carmen and Jurko Show" on Monday that he is still recovering from the fractured shoulder he suffered while attempting to make a tackle in the Bears' 45-41 loss to the Washington Redskins on Oct. 20.

“My injury was very avoidable looking back at it,” Briggs said. "I stayed on that tackle on the wrong side or on that block on the wrong side. I should've stayed on the outside [of the ball carrier's body] and hammered the ball in. I saw the ball and I tried to play fast. But I went down, and I thought about the injury every day that I was on the sidelines.

"As far as my shoulder, I will have a strap and go out and play football. My left shoulder is getting stronger and we’ll continue to work on getting it stronger until the shoulder is 100 percent."

Briggs did return to action in Week 16 versus the Philadelphia Eagles, but he clearly wasn't himself after the long layoff. Briggs recorded only five tackles as the Eagles routed the Bears 54-11.

"I was not at my optimum weight at all," Briggs acknowledged. "I mean, the Eagles are tough for any defense because they run 60 to 80 plays per game. At that point, I really didn't think I was going to come back and play at all the rest of that year so I ended up just sucking it up and playing the last two games. In that last game against the Green Bay Packers (seven tackles, one sack and one tackle for loss), I was fine with my conditioning. But there wasn't a whole lot I could do for the two months that I was off. That's what happens, you know."

The Bears are counting on Briggs to have another Pro Bowl caliber season in 2014. Entering his 12th year with the Bears, Briggs is scheduled to earn $5.5 million and count $6.5 million against the team's salary cap. The expectation is for Briggs to anchor a defense that has already experienced substantial turnover in the offseason after a disastrous 2013 campaign.

"Defensively, we have a lot of holes and we are in the process of getting that stuff fixed," Briggs said. "We have a draft coming up and we're going to pick up more important players that are going to help us win. When next season rolls around, hopefully we’ll have those parts that can allow us to perform at a high level."
  2. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I'll bet Lovie would give us two first round picks for him.:36_1_11[1]:
    • Like Like x 4
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Guarantee is reduced play will be Tuckers fault and have nothing to do w/his shoulder and having to wear a harness. Hell it will be Tuckers fault his shoulder is in a harness.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I blame Mel for the potholes in the street in front of my house too. I think he forged Obama's birth certificate also. :-)
    • Like Like x 4
  5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Well, if he properly coached the players, they wouldn't be tackling from the wrong side and breaking their shoulders, would they?

:lol-027:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I hope that Briggs can make it back strong this year, win a SB, and then Him and Peanut can retire as Bears.

The reality is that Briggs is at the age where you begin to worry if he will fall off the cliff due to age or injury.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    This really is a bigger issue then I was thinking, Briggs in a harness isn't going to stay on the field, which means that your primary backup to MLB/SAM is probably going to have to see plenty of time at WILL. Which means that She/Greene will be your SAM's(imo) Bostic backing up WILL and now there is no one backing up MIKE, and nothing about DJ screams durable.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    If Shea gets his shot at WLB and can not produce, then he needs to be cut.

I actually think that Bostic could be much better at WLB than he was at MLB, and again if he gets a shot and can not cut it there then I think you let him go.

Green looked like total Horse sh!t all season, so I think he is a ST player at best.
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,976 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    162ß
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Briggs will turn 34 years old this season. I have that sick feeling that a gimpy guy in a shoulder sling may not be very effective, even if he is able to stay on the field. I mean, will that affect his tackling somewhat? Will he be a bit gun-shy tackling if he's favoring a bad shoulder? It seems like it could be "Urlacher-II" to me. Not good.
  11. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    More chances a few LB could get drafted again?
  12. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just means the bears will be drafting a few more LB's as depth behind Briggs, hopefully can find a possible starter to groom to take Briggs place when he retires.
  13. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Emery will be drafting replacements regardless. Age is now Briggs enemy and it's time to groom another LB.
  14. [S]alvatore

[S]alvatore Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He needs to hit that HGH hard so he can get back to 100%.
  15. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    OK, can I be serious for a minute? The Bears are obviously trimming some fat and some age; Lance Briggs is making $6.5 mil this year with a shoulder harness and only $1 Mil in dead money? Now, if there is a FA linebacker out there that would be a stud for us, would it be smart to cut Lance loose and bring in a different vet LB or would this be too much of a loss in vet leadership for one year? What do you guys think? Even if they wanted to, is there really anyone out there that is still available? I haven't even been looking at linebackers. I love Lance (as seen below), but I love winning more.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +901 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    206ß
    4da, where's the loyalty??? :)
  17. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I do Agree with ya 4da about cutting him but I think Emery is also trying to combat Urlacher's attitude with kindness. So Emery figures that he has the LB's to fill in ( in Emery I trust) and in 1 year Briggs and possibly Peanut will retire. Emery will show he has the compassion as Mother Theresa and the vision that shows we can use their knowledge to help the rookies to learn their roles that will be vacant..
  18. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    LOL, compassion of Mother Theresa!:23_28_100[1]:

I agree that their knowledge and experience is a valuable commodity. I honestly don't know if I would do it (cut him), but that's a chunk of change. It's just food for thought; I don't see anyone on the open market that could effectively replace him at this point, even if he shows some decline, he's better than the FA's left on the market unless someone is cut soon.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    to many holes to fill for the team to cut Briggs and try and fill his spot also.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    yea, I tend to agree ric. There comes a point where you stop making changes or you run the risk of having a NEGATIVE impact instead of a POSITIVE. That said, his cap space could help fill some of those holes, otherwise I wouldn't have even suggested it. But I do agree, at some point you have to stop making changes just for the sake of making changes. I guess I just point it out as a potential if the right opportunity presents itself.