Bring back Melton

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Feb 26, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    701ß
    I know several people here are not on board with bringing back Melton but I am starting to get on the bring him back bandwagon. This article makes a good argument that we may have a need for 2 DE's and having Melton resigned would give us a ability to fill some of the other needs without losing out at the DT position. Suggests a incentive laden contract much like discussed here previously.

From comments at the combine from Emery and Trestman I believe we will probably be seeing Melton back shortly along with Ratliff. That would allow us to concentrate on DE, DE CB, SS, FS, QB and TE. Not necessarily in that order.
    Depending on FA we can take a few of them off the board as needs and be drafting best players avail. and get some strong backups hopefully. I love this time of year, dream dream dream. LOL

http://dawindycity.com/2014/02/26/henry-melton-brought-back-chicago-bears/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    We need some bodies and as long as it isn't anywhere near what he was going to cost us before the injury then he is worth the gamble.
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    He is a bad attitude, injured (ACL is a full year don't be fooled by AP), one year wonder, that I hope they let walk.

Did I mention that I would rather not have him back.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Even if Melton is 100%, his attitude is good and we still retain a 4-3 base I still think it's no. Melton benefited from a healthy Peppers and a good scheme. We no longer have those now. So now re-insert those question marks and he is too expensive and too much of an unknown

-Pass
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +812 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    712ß
  6. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Let lovie have him in Tampa... Id prefer to draft someone early as possible and pick up another FA
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    It depends on how much he wants. Don't forget that he was injured and missed most of the preseason, and didn't have enough time in the season to get going, so I don't think it's fair to call him a one year wonder (with the implication being that he sucked last season). If anything, he's a good player with good potential. There's no guarantee that we will be able to successfully replace him and still manage to have two good DT's to shore up the line. FT tag him again, in my opinion.
  8. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    If ya FT him again I think it would be WAY to expensive, they should have so sort of injury exemption for this type of thing so it would not hurt teams with the cap
  9. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +812 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    712ß
    No, thank you. FT would cost us more than $9MM for just one year! That wouldn't be wise at all. We've got way too many holes to fill. Let him go to Dallas or Tampa. A first-round DT is not worse than Melton imo.
  10. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    The only way they can bring him back is on a cap friendly deal and I hope he sees that. Emery is prone to doing one year "Prove It" deals and I cannot see him getting big bucks from another team given his injury situation. The teams that would want him are cap strapped like Dallas and I think Jerry Jones is too gun shy
    to pull the trigger at this point.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    It's a bummer that FA comes a full two months before the draft this year cuz everything I have been reading says that if we are able to draft Aaron Donald at #14, we can let Melton walk. Just re-sign Ratliff and Collins (assuming healthy of course) and the interior DL suddenly looks a whole lot better. That way AD is shooting up the draft boards right now though I'm afraid he may not even make it to 14.
  12. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I was listening to Mike Mayock go on and on about Donald in the NFL network combine coverage. I would not be surprised if he is the 1st DT taken in the draft.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Hyperbole and buzz about individual players runs deep about this time every year no doubt. But AD is having an amazing pre-draft run right now. He blew up the Senior Bowl and wowed at the Combine. He's drawing comparisons to Geno Atkins in terms of being as good or even better a prospect as GA was coming out of college (they're both "undersized" pure-3Ts/1-gap penetrators). There's rumors that Dallas likes him a lot and they pick only one spot behind us so presumably could jump ahead with a small trade up. If he's there when our name is called, be tough to pass him up IMO given how key the position is in a base 4-3 and how crappy our DL was a whole.

My guess is Emery is going to let Melton walk unless he takes a team-friendly 1-2 year deal, which I don't think he will do. If he walks to Tampa or Dallas (Lovie/Marinelli), that probably removes a potential Donald-competitor from the high draft (TB picks ahead of us). That's the ideal for us and how I hope it plays out as of now. Probably frees up the $ to bring Peanut back too.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,358 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    749ß
    That would be good. In a year where we have so many holes to fill, it seems like we can replace Melton easier than Peanut. Not easy, but maybe easier. Emery has his work cut out for him this year for sure, no matter how this unfolds.
  15. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I believe, Melton will want more than the Bears are willing to pay. He seems to disappear in some games. There are some free agent options out there who could provide equal value at a better price. He will probably end up with Dallas or Tampa. He needs to explore the market to establish his dollar value. The Bears will then have a choice to make.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Yep, no thanks. Bye, Henry, unless you're willing to take a team-friendly short-term deal.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Id rather see him walk and take a high quality DT in the draft. Resign Ratliff and let Collins rotate.

Melton has attitude problems with arrests. Combine that with a blown knee? No thanks.
  18. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I'm not sure that Melton will be such a hot commodity in the FA marketplace. We have possibly the richest draft in the last 5 - 6 years. I suspect it will drive the value of FAs down, especially any FA who has any baggage at all.

Maybe we can get Melton in a relatively team friendly deal.
  19. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +730 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    As of yesterday, they (NFL Network) is reporting the the cap number will be at around $133 mil now. Of course, that helps us, but it also helps the other 32 teams. I think it was originally projected at $127 mil, then it bumped to $130 mil, now its up to $133 mil. That in itself will help drive up values for FA's.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    The salary cap has been raised significantly (I think $12 mil), so using it to ensure he stays one last season won't hurt. Besides, our defense needs insurance on the line, and that is what he would provide. If worse comes to worse, re-appropriate Cutler's contract this season. Only get rid of Melton if you have a sure thing at replacing him.