Browns, Bears are only teams to skip Johnny Manziel’s pro day

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 28, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,402 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    I'm surprised so many teams DID go to his pro day.

2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    Man, I think this kid is all about his media exposure and how to best market himself for a top draft pick and a big payday. I don't think anyone expected him to blow this "draft rehearsal" and I believe that's mostly what it was. Just prepare for all of the throws they expect you to make, don't perform any you suck at, and wow them with the ones you can do well.

The Bears don't need him and with his personality I don't see him as ever being a fit in Chicago and if the Browns want him they've already made their minds up anyway so why tip their hand? Actually maybe this does tip their hand but in Greg Gabriel's latest mock they wait until #26 to take him not at #4.

IMHO I don't think there's a riskier QB pick in this draft than Manziel. His style of play may need to be altered dramatically to fit NFL teams style of play. If I was a smart GM I wouldn't want any part of him not only because of the media circus that seems to be attached to him but because I think the kid might be the biggest QB bust since Ryan Leaf.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Johnny Manziel not a fit for Chicago? Let's see, how many QB's have we had that love to party? I can think of Griese, Grossman, Orton, Cutler and McMahon without trying.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,402 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    I wouldn't be a happy camper if we spent our 1st round pick on a QB anyway. Not this year.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    It has nothing to do with that Henry. I couldn't care less what he does on "his" time. With his diva personality and lack of size he's not a fit. This kid loves to freelance so maybe you put him in a read option offense but not a WCO that require an entirely different skill set. He's not a Trestman type of guy period.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Yeah, but you gotta consider that he went up against the toughest conference in the NCAA his freshman year, and his worst games were when the defense just simply overwhelmed his offense. I've watched him for most of his career, and I completely agree that he throws some crazy ass passes, BUT, would you not at least agree that Texas A&M's coaching staff is inferior to ours?
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,018 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    from what I heard he has a problem w/his arm strength also, people reporting from his pro day said he had to pause and use his hole body to throw deep passes, that won't cut it in chicago and the wind that whips through the home stadium.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,402 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    The transition from college to the NFL seems especially difficult for QB's. We often hear about how a college QB is a "sure thing" lock for being a star at the NFL level. Yet, they seem to bust at an alarming rate. Even Heisman Trophy winners can wash out. You see guys who were the "darlings of the draft" often unable to get a backup job as FA's after a few years in the league - even when they are still in their 20's. And some are simply not in the NFL after a few years.

Manziel is certainly not a lock to be anything special, even though a lot of folks act like he's the latest "sure thing" at QB. He definitely could be good though. If I were a GM, drafting a starting QB would be my worst nightmare come true. It's such a crap shoot.

One thing we seem to have that most teams don't, is a head coach who seems pretty QB savvy. I'd think we'd be wise to get a young kid here for Trestman to spin up for when the Cutler era is winding down.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    I know, and I don't deny he has some talent, but I still think the kid has bust written all over him. I don't think he'll ever have the freedom in the NFL to do what he did in college. Maybe with the right team and in an offense built around his skills he can succeed but he's not a stand in the pocket passer and that's still something even mobile QBs need to be able to do in the pros.

Anyway, he's a sure 1st round pick for someone and there's zero chance Emery would draft a QB number one while Cutler is still his main squeeze. He could take a kid this year whose very raw but has the upside to play once he's been taught how to succeed and be far better off for less money. Paying ANY first round pick to sit just doesn't make sense to me when cap dollars are short.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    We seem to see even more of that now than we ever did before because team expect these kids to come in and start. Looking around the NFL how many really good QBs are there? You have a Rodgers, a Brady, and a Manning who just seem to know how to win. Then you have guys like Cutler who have the skills to do it but haven't quite gotten the grasp of managing a game as well as the top dogs do. And then a whole bunch of guys hanging on the fringe. They get a shot at starting, fail, get released or traded and spend the rest of their careers as backups.

Teams spend a 1st round pick on these guy and three years later their lucky if they can get a 6th if they trade them. The list is pretty lengthy too.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Oh no, I wasn't suggesting drafting him (unless he fell to the 2nd round), I just think he's got the right attitude to handle playing against good defenses in the NFL
  12. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    It may be a smoke screen by the Browns but not by the Bears.

To be honest I've watched a lot of his games & the kid is fun to watch. Anything could happen on any play with him at QB. I hope he gets drafted in the top 10 so another top player that we may be interested in falls to us. In fact I hope all but one of the top rated QBs goes in the top ten. Maybe a team who needs a QB freaks out & gives us a ridiculous trade offer. Not likely but stranger things have happened & something stranger probably will happen on day 1 of the draft.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Sorry, but I just don't see it in Johnny. Like Mayock was saying that if you force him to be a pocket passer and play straight he has a good chance of beating himself. Trestman could work wonders with him mind you but I don't think he's durable.
  14. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    He needs to go to a team that runs a "Run & Gun" type system and not many do that plus he'd get killed if he tries to scramble and gets leveled by someone like Allen. He's no Fran Tarkington that's for sure.
  15. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +851 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    785ß
    I have the feeling that Manziel could become another Tebow.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +336 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    167ß
    He is either going to be an exceptional quarterback or a total bust. Just my personal opinion, the odds of Johnny Football being a bust vs being a stud area about 70-30 (or higher).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,474 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    Some are comparing him to Drew Brees. Manziel isnt necessarily a bust simply because he doesnt fit the prototypical QB mold. Admit it...if we didnt have Cutler, and were still bouncing between Rex and Orton, who wouldnt be the least bit excited to see Emery gamble and take a shot at Manziel if he dropped to us? Nobody can predict the success of a drafted QB.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,018 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    If the Bears were still bouncing between Orton and Rex after nearly a decade I'm not sure I could have still been watching. The very thought makes me feel queezy
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,402 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    Sometimes I wonder how some of our past QB's would have performed with an offense loaded with our present talent and led by a solid offensive mind like Trestman. We all hate on Grossman now. But early in his career he had some talent. Talent that may have been developed better in our present situation. We'll never know. But I sometimes wonder about this.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    79ß
    I think he would be a good fit for the high octane offense that Philly is running, he is great on his feet that would help spread out the defense but ya...I don't think he will do well in the NFL if dropped into a starter spot right away.
    I was a little surprised to hear Rice comparing him to a young Steve Young.