Browns, Bears are only teams to skip Johnny Manziel’s pro day

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 28, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    If you were GM for a team with a serious QB need and Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater were all available, who would you take?
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    625ß
    He just DOESNT FIT on the CHICAGO BEARS.

Not what were are building.

Maybe if we were the 15th highest scoring offense in the NFL.

Hey ... we are the fifth highest scoring team in the NFL.

Lets keep it focused as to the 31 ranked DEFENSE.

We can always get him in the future ...
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well that's one of the issue all the draftniks and even former pros are talking about. Just how much of Manziel is a QB and how much of him is a celebrity and which one wins out. With Tebow it was obviously the celebrity part. Manziel comes into the draft as much a celebrity as he is a passer and the more time he spends on promoting Johnny Manziel brand whatever the less time he spends learning to be an NFL QB. Jeezus, "Dubya" Bush was at his F'n Pro Day. Since when did that assclown become a pro scout. LOL

The rookie QBs no longer get $60 mil in guarantees so a guy like him comes in hungry for those same endorsement dollars that guys like Manning and Brady get and yet they proved themselves on the field before the became celebrity pitchmen. Will Manziel be content with that or will he be looking for his "Flutie Flakes" deal before the ink is even dry on his NFL contract. I mean this kid doesn't even have to seek it. It comes to him and as we all found with Tebow they'll make him a celebrity whether he can play or not. It's that intense.

We don't need a QB bad enough to take that kind of risk with him. Long ago Halas had another Texas QB who may have been similar in certain ways to Manziel and Halas traded him because he had others who fit team and him better personality wise. That was Bobby Layne and he became a HOF QB but I'll bet if he were alive to day Halas would tell you that it didn't bother him that he let him go. He wasn't a fit for the Bears and neither is Johnny Manziel.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    No but in this case, like Tebow, you can predict his celebrity status coming in the door before he's even gotten close enough to see which teams door he'll be walking through. THAT is what concerns me. This kid is as much a "product" as he is a football player. Mike Zimmer called his Pro Day a "sideshow" all arranged and scripted to make Johnny look his best. It think one of the other writer's put it best when he asked the question, "Is Johnny Manziel gonna be a pro QB or is he gonna be a "brand"". Which one wins out?
  5. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    He will be fine if he goes to a proper team. We of all fans should know this after the last couple of decades....Brady and others weren't projected to be stars, but given the tools and opportunities from great working organizations that had their shit together from head to toe, they have succeeded..
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    I'd take Bortles myself
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    Everyone but me. :thumb:
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Sure but he'll probably end up in Cleveland which has replaced the Bears in QB hell. I can't help but thinking that's the last place a publicity and endorsement hungry Johnny Manziel wants to be. He has an opportunity to silence his critics but will he? I'd say it's still 50/50 but all I really care about is the one team he isn't on and that's mine.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I don't hate him either. I like him a lot right where he is.........not on the Bears. :lol-027:
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'd probably take Bridgewater if I wanted a kid whose best prepared to go now.
  11. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    The thing that worries me about Manziel is that he chose NOT to do things at the combine. The Combine, with all its faults, is still a controlled environment. The purpose of which is to measure the physical abilities of a player.

I find myself asking if the reason he chose to showcase his talent at his pro day (rather than the combine) was to better control the test by which he was measured.

If the last is true, then this means that Manziel is aware that he is not as good as his hype, and is trying to hold onto his draft value. Smart? Yes.

Do I think we should draft him early? NO. Ask me again in the third or fourth round.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    I hope Minnesota drafts him