Browns trade running back Trent Richardson traded to Indianapolis Colts for first-round pick

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by 4th and 26, Sep 18, 2013.

1. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    119ß
    Two games into Trent Richardson's second season, the Cleveland Browns have given up on the running back who was the third pick of the 2012 draft. In a surprise move, the Browns shipped Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts on Wednesday for a first-round pick in the 2014 draft.
    There's spinning your wheels, then there's the Browns. This is one of the more baffling moves the team has pulled off, and there have been plenty to go around.
    Richardson has not been great in his one-plus NFL seasons, but last year he was playing through injuries most of the season. He has flashed his tremendous talent already (when the Browns weren't deciding to let Brandon Weeden throw 53 times in a close Week 1 while giving Richardson just 13 carries in a close game, anyway). The new front office, led by general manager Mike Lombardi, decided to ship off Richardson already – and in the process announce they've practically given up on the 2014 season after two games.
    [Related: Slideshow: Biggest NFL in-season trades]
    For now, it looks as if the Browns will turn to free agent veteran Willis McGahee to fill the role that Richardson is leaving.
    When you give up on the third pick of the draft after a little more than a year and turn to someone like McGahee, you have to wonder if the franchise has any long-term vision. There's almost no chance the Colts' pick will be in the top five, especially now that the offense has added a legitimate running back.
    The Colts lost starting running back Vick Ballard to a freak knee injury in practice last week, leaving them with Ahmad Bradshaw and little else. Colts owner Jim Irsay got Twitter buzzing with this message on Wednesday afternoon.
    Less than an hour later the Colts had stolen Richardson from the Browns.
    "Trent's a great player and we expect him to have success in this league," Browns CEO Joe Banner said, according to AP. "Right now, based on how we're building this team for sustainable success, we're going to be aggressive and do what it takes to assemble a team that consistently wins."
    Richardson has 298 carries for 1,055 yards and 11 touchdowns in his 17 NFL games, while adding 58 receptions for 418 yards and one touchdown. Again, he dealt with injuries last season, including broken ribs, so the numbers don't tell the whole story.
    [Related: Brian Hoyer to start at quarterback for Browns]
    How bad was this trade? Well, Cleveland running back Dion Lewis, who is on injured reserve, wasn't sure if he was being pranked:
    The Browns at least have some ammunition for next year's draft. After the Richardson trade, it's a pretty good bet their own pick will be very high in the first round.
  2. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    119ß
    when did the browns sign jerry Angelo?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Are Cleveland Browns still in the NFL?
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    heard this, again I wonder if the Bears have had been on the phone w/the Colts and G-men about Bush, he's not getting a ton of playing time and Ford isn't even dressing, so why not try and get someone to overpay....like the colts just did....not saying he would have garnered a #1, but he well may have got the team a 3rd.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,291 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    Hell no, we shouldn't have tried to trade Bush. We have a favorable contract, and the Colts really made a bad trade here. They've got a bad offensive line, Richardson's ypc is 3.6 and the Browns offense doesn't even rely on him that much (not to absolve them from the stupidity of this trade). It looks like they're absolutely 100% committed to tanking to get Bridgewater. I hope for their fans sake they start to have some kind of continuity in the FO, because they traded a 4th, 5th and a 7th just to trade up to get him in the first place. I think this is insurance against the Jags to get that number one pick.
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    I would trade Bush for the right offer. Since Forte is the main back, Bush is expendable. Just don't give him away. But if someone is dumb enough to give up a third for him, I'd have to really think about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    Benj' that's what I'm sayin, the Colts just way overpaid for a RB, supposebly the most easy to replace, dime a dozen position on the O to replace, and we have a legit 2nd teir starter as the backup. If a team is willing to screw themselves in the draft to get him, why not?
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,291 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    Forte hasn't proven he can survive an entire season, and Ford is an unproven. If we traded Bush, that means we'd immediately have to look for a Willis McGahee type, when the inevitable happens. We're better with Bush than with another 3rd round pick.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    RB's, outside of the blitz pickup is the easiest position to learn in the league. RB's don't get better w/age, if they are worth their salt they can have an immideate impact more then any other position.
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I don't blame Cleveland for tanking the season if that's what it takes to make a better product on the field then lose all the games you can. Because if that number #1 pick is that good you go for it. When Bears where bad when Wanstdude was coach and we had no chance of going nowhere in 1997 season losing everything would have been the way to go. That following year Peyton Manning was in the draft no lets get Curtis Anis instead. Bears and running backs always looking to get off the F'n bus running. I'm so glad that shitass remark has gone out the F'n door.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,291 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    Peyton Manning went #1 overall, and the Colts had a death grip on that pick. No one was getting it. What was stupid was trading a #1 pick for a proven bust at QB.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,291 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    I'm also feeling even better about picking up the Vikings defense in FF for this weekend.
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    FWIW: Bush has only had eight rushing attempts in these two games for 15 yards. That is 1.9 YPC.

I doubt there are any teams calling the Bears about him, and if they are, likely not offering much of anything for him.

If the Bears trade him, not sure they would miss him or lose much by using Ford in his place.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    Jason Campbell is such a great backup that Hoyer is getting to start over him....wow.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    Campbell kinda sucks, as we all should know by now
  17. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Call me crazy but in this case I think both teams win on the trade.

Colts have their QB, and they get a needed piece.

Browns put on the paper bag face again, and restock next year. T.Rich went #3 overall, which is a steep price. BUT, look where running backs are generally getting picked now days... I can see them getting equal value at the position (if they even want to go that direction) with the Colt's first round next year in the mid 20s. What is more, I think you have a greater chance of getting a quality running back in the later rounds. More diamonds in the rough sorta thing... (they have been loading up with draft ammo before this trade, fyi). The browns wanted an Adrian Peterson, they took a shot and missed. Martin > Richardson.

What I do not like is giving up and running out of bounds short of the sticks. F___ that! as a fan I couldn't stand it. This game isn't poker, why fold? Overall a reboot is a good strategy, but I can't support it. I want to root for the guys that bounce back after getting knocked down.

You can build your team multiple ways, now Lombardi gets his wet dream (his own team)... Your choices better be good Michael because that was your best player. You miss next year, and you're done. Better choices and fa's would have been my plan. We'll see, if Lombardi is good you'll know it soon.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  18. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    140ß
    It must really suck to be a Cleveland fan.

19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,291 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß

This was a stupid move for this year, but if the Browns actually want it to work, they had god **** better keep Lombardi for a few years, so they can have a coach and GM who can actually implement their system, long term. They have 2 firsts , 2 3rds and 2 4ths early in the draft. Use one or two of the latter picks to get another running back. Draft Bridgewater and continue to build that offensive line.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Browns actually saved face. They never should have drafted Richardson that high. He was overrated. Just a byproduct of Alabama hype. To actually be able to get a number 1 pick in return is quite a deal, all things considered. The Colts seem to think he's going to be like Edgerrin James and they'll be sorely disappointed.