Buddy Ryan's influence still being felt in NFL

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 3, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/buddy-ryan-influence-still-percolating-through-nfl

Per Moon Mullin's latest column:

The Bears won’t be going to a 3-4 defense anytime soon under general manager Phil Emery but one of those schemes with distant ties to the Bears is being credited with defensive successes with several of the division-leading teams in the NFL.

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, who learned his defensive philosophies from father and legendary Bears coordinator Buddy, has gotten the Jets back on their feet with a 3-4 blitzing approach that has produced results in Kansas City (8-0) and New Orleans (6-1), second and fourth, respectively, in scoring defense. The Jets currently stand sixth in yardage defense.

Ryan’s influence is even being credited with some of the defensive success enjoyed by the Buffalo Bills, whose defensive coordinator (Mike Pettine) held that job with Rex in New York until his contract expired after last season. It probably also helps that Pettine’s defensive line includes 330-pound tackle Marcel Dareus, the third-overall pick of the 2011 draft, end Mario Williams, the first-overall pick in 2006 and signed for a free-agency ransom from Houston, and 335-pound end Alan Branch, formerly with Arizona and Seattle.

Here is the WSJ article which basically credits Rex (who employs his father's schemes) with saving "Defensive football" in the pass-happy NFL. Great reads, gents. On a related note, it was great to see Buddy at the Jets-Saints game today. God Bless You, Buddy. The Bears really need to do something to honour his contributions to the organization. A "BR46" helmet sticker or jersey patch would be nice, at the appropriate time.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304402104579149930444589524?mobile=y
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    this also shows why we should can tucker... the jets and saints d sucked last year with same people and the ryan's take over on poof killer defenses with same players
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,618 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    I was trying to get this board to watch that game Sunday. If Rex Ryan is fired for some stupid reason after this season, I'll give up my car to make him DC.
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Henry, I like you. I really do. With that having been said, I would give your left nut for one of the Ryan brothers to be DC for the Bears. Your right one too.
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,618 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    No, I'm not big enough of a fan of football to give up either of those for a coach. I'd donate blood to see the Cubs win the series, though.