Bullying on the Bears?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearstuff, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,279 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    Hillenmeyer “hated coming in to work” because of Kruetz
    Posted by Darin Gantt on November 7, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    Long before Jonathan Martin or Richie Incognito joined the NFL, there were uncomfortable locker room rituals.
    And to hear former Bears linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer tell it, it was no more comfortable for him in Chicago than it was for Martin in Miami.
    Hillenmeyer told WSCR 670 that in 2004, the year he filled in for an injured Brian Urlacher, he “hated coming into work” because of the treatment he got from veteran center Olin Kreutz.
    “Because he was a jerk,” Hillenmeyer explained. “He was riding me because I was the third-year guy, or second-year guy, trying to fill in for a superstar. So I can relate in a sense that, you’re going to have people in your workplace that you don’t necessarily like. . . .
    “Olin led in a certain way. I would go to the grave acknowledging that he thought that everything he was always doing was in the best interest of the team. I don’t want that to come across like I’m admonishing him or saying that he was a bad leader. Because he was a great leader, but at the same time, when you have a room full of alpha males who were all the best player on their high school teams and one of the best players on their college team, to get everyone to buy in and fall into line, you need people that take leadership roles in an aggressive way like that.”
    Hillenmeyer didn’t offer specifics, but said that management has a vested interest in having the locker room under control, and was willing to turn a blind eye to certain things.
    “If you’re [former Bears General Manager] Jerry Angelo or you’re [former Bears coach] Lovie Smith, as much as you might not approve of some of the methods, you like the results,” Hillenmeyer said. “People were going to come to OTAs and they weren’t going to have loose lips with the media, they weren’t going to do a lot of things to damage the locker room – not because they didn’t want to, but because they were scared of Olin.
    “You need guys like that in the locker room, and coaches tend to just let it happen unless there’s something egregious going on that’s right under their nose.”
    While 31 other teams had a chance to stand up yesterday and tell reporters how Miami’s problems wouldn’t happen in their place, Hillenmeyer’s story, and rationale, is probably far more common than anyone would want to admit.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,367 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,364ß
    The more I read about Trestman, the more I respect him. He's smart enough to understand that demeaning your own players is not good for your team. Times change. Bullying is wrong.

Our whole foundation’s built on respect for everyone in the organization, respect for the players, respect for the game, honoring the game. We’ve talked about it a lot.”

“Here, it’s different. We look at rookies differently,” Brandon Marshall said. “You have to earn your stripes, earn your place on the team, earn your place in the NFL. But as far as crossing that line -- disrespecting guys, demeaning guys -- that just doesn’t happen here. Actually, coach Trestman did a great job of really going out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable from Day 1. There were some things where we were like, ‘Man, this stuff goes on in every locker room. We would love to continue to do it.’ But Coach just said, ‘Hey, we’re gonna nip that in the bud. I want guys to focus on football, and everyone just focus on their jobs and not Rookie Night or what guys might do to me the next day [in terms of hazing].’”

Kyle Long said Trestman made the no-hazing rule “very clear from the beginning.”

“I feel that’s very conducive to a healthy workplace,” Long said. “We really appreciate that about Coach, where nobody is put ahead of anybody else.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,367 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,364ß
    It sounds like Lovie was more "old school" and let the locker room run itself. Of course that's kind of how he ran the entire team & coaches. Auto-pilot. Trestman is a polar-opposite coach. He's everywhere, and nothing is too small or insignificant for him to ignore. It was amazing to watch him coach this summer at training camp. The guy was non-stop a "hands on" coach, all over the field. He seemed obsessed with every detail. I think he's obsessed with winning championships & of course he did that in the CFL. I expect he'll do that in the NFL soon enough too.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +719 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    Common sense things allowed singing your school song carrying pads things that make sense not belittling people. To many people today don't have common sense it has gone the way of Cubby world series.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    Didn't read the article, but heard the HH thing. He did say he hated coming into work b/c of Kreutz, but he said he knew Kreutz was doing it to try and make him better.

He went onto say that in a room full of alpha males(all these players have been the best athlete on their team since HS, and probably were in college also), that you need a guy like that to run the locker room and the coaches rely on those guys to b/c the coaches won't know everything going on.

He really didn't talk bad about Kreutz persay, but did say that he was the alpha in a room full of alpha's and teams need that.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,367 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,364ß
    And I'd bet Kreutz never went over the top. I can't picture him shaking players down for $15,000 vacations and stuff like that. I do like Trestman's approach better. Treat everyone with dignity and focus on football, not the crazy crap that Miami did. That entire Miami franchise sounds like a sewer.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Fred Miller found a solution to Kreutz' bullying. Smacking him in the head with a five pound weight.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    ya and all Miller got for it was a broken jaw ;p

jabf, ya I doubt he was throwing out racial laced vulgar rants on phone messages either.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    193ß
    Respect is the word that will run that locker room if the Montreal experience is any example.

One of the first things he did was to end the cliques that seem to inevitably form in any team. Think of all the ways an NFL team can divide up and add two more for a CFL team: Canadians vs. Americans and English Canadians vs. French Canadians. Trestman wasn't having it and he wouldn't let people sit together in their cliques during meetings. He made sure that everyone in training camp, knew everyone. Not only that, but they had to know what the other players in other positions had to do to be successful. His players had to learn to walk in the other guy's cleats. He built the team literally from the ground up. There was only one clique allowed and that was the Montreal Alouettes.

Many NFL refugees don't respect the CFL and most of those have very short, forgettable CFL careers. Trestman not only respected football's very long history in Canada, he made sure everyone joining the team knew it as well.

Respect. When you haze someone, bully them, make them carry your pads, there's no respect. When there's no respect, there's no team.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,800 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,213ß
    Hazing in and of itself is not a bad thing, it provides a bonding opportunity for a group of newcomers, while allowing them to prove themselves to their superiors. Doesn't matter if we are talking about military, NFL, or a group of college freshman. There's a reason why it has been utilized for thousands of years, because it does work.

However, there needs to be lines drawn between what is and is not acceptable forms of hazing. Like you mentioned: standing and singing your school's fight song, carrying pads, those are acceptable forms of hazing. Using racial slurs or physically abusing someone is not.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    if i hear about "bullying" one more time i am gonna puke.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,800 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,213ß
    Bullying is a huge problem in the US. Puke away.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Only if your a cry baby sissy
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,800 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,213ß
    *you're
    • Like Like x 3
  15. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hazing can be tool that reinforces respect. Making a rookie carry your helmet or pads? This is a good thing. Wrapping up your 1st round rookie to a goal post, or taking an ice bath, etc... I'm fine with, just use common sense.

If you're a prospect the team expects to get a decade of production out of these are memories down the line that help build team chemistry. Same thing with coaches taking steps to break up cliques, adjusting seating patterns, and having to learn other people's roles.

HAZING should be one of the only non competitive aspect the team ever deals with. If you make a rookie take a group out and pay for dinner, it better be that same rookie you and the people in that group take out to lunch throughout the year.

The problem I see is that these guys are 95% all alpha males and the competitive drive is what got them into the locker room. Just have to be smart about it like Trestman appears to be and leave your taunts and ridicules with rookie night. After training camp, just STOP IT! You shouldn't have to do anything other then be a good team mate and coach up like you would anyone else. Welcome to the NFL point was made, time to work.

Keep it reasonable and something that does not become a competition. This is not a well I did this so you're going to have to do something more bull shit, or bull shit to start with. IT IS PRETTY DARN BASIC.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  16. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Or someone who has trouble with spelling or punctuation, I agree.

• Like Like x 2
  17. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The other thing that gets me is that between individuals there is no hazing. That is something different. If a coach asks a leader to lean on someone he is asking anonymously for the team or a team group to step in.

If there is ANY competition it should be with the creative ideas to be fairly used.

No one should be judge and jury and if your going to put someone down to rebuild them why give it a face?

I know you all should or do get it. Kinda sorry I posted. The whole topic is just over done and lacks any sense of reasoning.
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,693 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    Hazing is one of those things that most people know how to do right, but due to the small percentage of people that don't have common sense, is looked down upon unfairly.
  19. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,626 / 18 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    So many broomsticks and only one ass lol
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,799 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    Hell... my "congratulatory" hazing in 1985 resulted in my ENTIRE right arm turning black and blue and eventually being in a cast for 5 weeks. And I got yelled at for not being able to do certain things while in the cast.

Good times... good times...

I can only imagine the uproar now if anyone in the USN even thought about stuff like that now.
    • Like Like x 2