Camp Weds notes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 31, 2013.

1. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,858 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    315ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I refuse to believe that is true for some teams. But I'm following ya. lol
    Pretty sure that was his point...

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    used to be that way, but w/the teams limited ability to practice and hit in camp and ota's and pre season is going to be a lot more then that. Many have wondered if it will mean more playing time for the starters to get them "football ready".

Also just remember that BOTH teams are running vanilla, so when the O is looking bad and it/s b/c they are playing Vanilla...so was the D they went up against.

3. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    247ß
    Like how it worked out with Caleb Hanie?

Until Blanchard plays in some regular season games, it's not smart to dump the vet backup for the unproven inexperienced guy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    1 Caleb Haine wasn't allowed to talk to the OC, and he wasn't allowed reps w/the O...ever.

2 How can Blanchard get reg season games if he's not the 2?

3 McCown has looked HORRIBLE

• Like Like x 2
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Zach Bowman being anywhere near non-ST field of play is a disaster waiting to happen. He's the suckiest suck that ever sucked and I'd rather we give TJ's reps to a kid.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    update to this last post. McCown actually looked good today minus the duck the threw to McMannis.
    Blanchard has looked good all camp from what I have heard
    And it was pointed out on Waddle and Silvey today talking w/JD that the backups have gotten tons of time, specifically the QB's and they said it's the first time they can remember that the the team had to make sure the starting qb had to make sure was getting enough reps b/c the backups were getting as many as they did.

7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,503 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Would be a nice added dimension if Hester can block kicks. I sure don't want to see Peanut out there trying to do it anymore.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/07/31/bears-o-line-shuffles-due-to-injuries/afoebq9/
    Bears O-line shuffles due to injuries
    Left tackles Jermon Bushrod and Jonathan Scott did not practice Wednesday, leading to a new unit up front that got off to a rough start.
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:12 p.m. CDT
    BOURBONNAIS — Cory Brandon has not played in an NFL game, yet he was the first-team left tackle at the beginning of Wednesday’s practice.
    Then Eben Britton, who has 15 starts in the past three seasons — most recently at guard — took over as the top left tackle for the majority of practice. Not an ideal look for a team that still has major questions along the offensive line.
    Jermon Bushrod remained out of practice with a right calf injury. He is still wearing a protective boot and considered day-to-day. Jonathan Scott bruised his knee early in practice and spent the morning with ice wrapped around it. Hub mentioned in his column yesterday that the Bears can't afford to lose Bushrod, and they had to go without his backup on Wednesday as well.
    The shake-ups on the O-line led to a rough start for the whole offense following a day off. There were pre-snap penalties, and head coach Marc Trestman was visibly frustrated with a couple of them.
    “You saw there were a bunch of pre-snap penalties that allowed us to look a lot sloppier than we have practiced throughout,” he said. Trestman did add that things improved as practice went along on the offensive side of the ball.
    James Brown continued to take almost all the snaps as the first-team right guard, with Kyle Long sprinkled in with the group for a few reps. Even with the injuries at left tackle, it is clear that J’Marcus Webb will not return to the blind side — he has stayed at right tackle.
    Trestman saw the bright side of the moving parts along the O-line for Wednesday’s practice.
    “Aaron [Kromer]’s mixing them up, we’re working through training camp to find the best five and the way to do that is to move people around and see who can play best at different positions and we’re going to be very patient with that,” he said.
    Kromer, who serves as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, reiterated that they are working to find the best group of five players to protect Jay Cutler.
    “Our goal is to find the best five. When we find the best five, it’ll be obvious,” he said. “Whether we put them at left guard, right guard, whoever they are, we’ll find them. And we don’t control when that’ll happen. It’ll just happen.”
    In five practices, we have now seen three or four different looks on the first-team offensive line. Britton said today was another example of the “next man up” philosophy and always having to be ready.
    “Guys might go down and you have to be ready to step in there and get the job done just as well as the [starters].”

9. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    247ß
    He'll get reps if the season goes down the tubes. I do not want the Bears to put the season on the line on a kid that has never played an NFL game if we are competing for the playoffs and Cutler needs to come out for a game or two. And from what I have been hearing on the radio, McCown has not looked horrible. He's been fine.

The Bears should not be in the business of developing UDFA QB's when we are trying to figure out Cutler's long term future. We have far more invested in Cutler than Blanchard. I have not seen a UDFA QB get so much hype than... well... Hanie I suppose. And he didn't win a game for us in 2011. You know who did win a game for us in 2011? McCown. With no reps or training camp.

Experience is important for your #2. Potential is great for the #3, but if he does not have that experience, that's why he's the #3.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    Trestman doesn't agree w/you. The backups, both McCown and Blanchard have gotten far more playing time then anyone has seen in camp in forever, by all reports.

I do not want the team to put hang the teams playoffs on the hat of McCown OR Blanchard, neither is going to keep the team in it. But I'd rather go w/what I don't know and hope for the best(blanchard's play) then what I do know and expect a different outcome(McCown not to suck balls).

How'd that experience work out for ya last year? Experience of a garbage player means jack squat b/c they are still garbage, if Blanchard is good enough to sit at 3 years he's good enough to see if he can back up Cutler. it's not like McCown will find himself on any other squad other then Chicago if they cut him. There's a reason that dude was coaching HS and not on a NFL roster when the Bears dumpster dived for him.