Camp Weds notes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 31, 2013.

1. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Plenty of teams carry two QBs. Most of them are teams with an elite QB and a veteran backup. Frankly, I'd rather Blanchard get first crack at any spare PT for various reasons, but it's always nice to have a fallback veteran who has taken many snaps in the league and knows what to expect.
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Bah, I relied on my Packer fan coworker to know if Coleman was their 3rd stringer. You'd think he'd know. Looks like he was on their practice squad.

Harrall was not from a smallish school. He played for Texas Tech. Way better competition than Whitewater faced. He also played a season with the CFL. But that's not even why he is the backup QB over there. He's been with the team and the same head coach for 3 years. Look, if Trestman had been here for three years and so was Blanchard, that's different. He'd know what he's got.

Now, let's look at the Packers situation. Coleman was a 7th round pick in 2012. He sat the practice squad for one year. You would not think it odd if the Packers cut arrell and just went with Coleman as their only #2 QB?
  3. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,989 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    XaOs, good catch, forgot to point that out. I heard someone this mornin saying they think they did that to have help defending the new running/option style qb and hopefully have him fill out their qb spot. They said just last week they had met w/Texas A&M on how to defend these running/option qb's...and I think their early schedule includes SF and Wash so it makes since that Vince might well be running the scout team also.
  5. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Too true ric. The fact that the packers are also dealing with trying to find a new LT may also have impacted that decision.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    No, he wasn't. He was on the PS. As I said, the Packers carried only 2 QBs last year and neither of them were veterans. Graham Herrell was a udfa from the football factory that is Texas Tech....big whoop.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,989 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    More and more you are seeing young kids backing up established starters, it's not 100% but it's more and more common b/c they are cheap and are showing they are more ready then they used to be.
  8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Rogers was a veteran :). But so was Herrell.

1) Herrell has been in the NFL on the Packers since 2010. He also played a season in the CFL in 2009. He's a veteran.

2) Texas Tech faces way better competition than Wisconsin-Whitewater. Big whoop that all you want.

3) Even with all that extra three years under the same coaches, Herrell's first regular season snap resulted in him bouncing off his center and fumbling the ball in the red zone.

What is so special about Blanchard that makes you think he can handle backup QB duties with zero experience? Look, I agree with Ric that seeing young kids backing up the starters is not unusual. Seeing one as inexperienced as Blanchard is.
  9. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Regarding Blanchard,

Blanchard didn't go to UW Whitewater on a football scholarship. He did not loose a game (granted Div II games) in more than 3 years as a starter, including (3 consecutive) championships. Blanchard was then a walk-on at training camp last year, where he went head to head with a 5th round draft pick (Enderle) who was considered worth keeping as a 3rd QB on the roster too prevent him from being poached off the waiver wire. Blanchard competed his way to the same round of cuts (final cut down before the regular season) as that 5th round pick.

Blanchard has earned through competition the right to compete for (not be given) that backup QB position. It is the next logical step in his progression. May the best player win.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,989 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    WNML, i don't know that blanchard is special, I know that McCown isn't. See the difference?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    I mis-wrote. I was referring to reserve QBs (roster or ps) when I said neither was a typical "vet backup". That's the debate here. If you are going to try to portray Graham Harrell as such because he played at Texas Tech (not a major program) or was on a CFL team for a season, then I have to laugh. Very few others would consider that "veteran experience". The only NFL RS plays the guy has ever participated in were a handoff or two in garbage time and fumbled snap. Please.....

Look, you have me mistaken here. I'm not a McCown hater like Ric. I was talking about bringing him back early this past offseason as a cheap vet alternative, especially when it became apparent that the draft was not going to offer us much. He is back and he probably will stick. But....if Blanchard totally outplayed him and was ready to be a #2 in Trestmans eyes, I would have no problem cutting him either and going with two to save the roster spot. Remember, McCown can pretty much ALWAYS be brought back later if need be cuz no one is going to pick him up.

That's all I am saying here. I just didn't want to see a repeat of last year where we wasted $3.5m on a vet backup who accomplished no more than any rookie could have.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,989 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    Damn straight i'm mccown hater; but i'm a former failed starting qb now qualifies me to be a backup guy hater....I have nothing against McCown personally.

Give me a young guy that is an unkown anyday over a known dud.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Correct.

I still think Young maybe just helping out with the Read Option.
  14. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,425 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    Exactly, I'm a McCown hater also if that's how it's viewed. I would much rather take a chance on a rookie/unknown possibly being good, than overpaying, or even not paying much for someone we know will definitely suck. McCown sucks, and we've seen it, it's proven.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    None of you guys are seeing this in the right light. This isn't about developing a QB this year. The Bears have never been a QB factory. The backup isn't playing or competing for starting time. In terms of the backup QB, this isn't about potential. It's about who knows more about the game at the NFL level right now. McCown knows the NFL game. He's actually teaching this playbook to the other rookies. Blanchard is still figuring it out.

Blanchard is fighting right now for the right to be the third string QB. Did you read that article Ric posted about Trestman just wanting to see how his poise is on the football field this preseason game? That's not a "Yeah, we are thinking of using him as the backup QB so I can finally cut McCown."

The Bears could very well go with two QBs, but if we did, it would be McCown that is the one who stays.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    This is how the backup QB position should work out this year. McCown is the #2. Blanchard, if he does not lay an egg during preseason, would be the #3. He gets to know the coaches, learn the playbook and learn from Cutler and McCown. Maybe during a garbage time game he gets a couple snaps. He does well with the scout team. He proves to Trestman and to us that he isn't just a another UDFA.The coaches start to trust him.

Then, In 2014, McCown retires and maybe Blanchard becomes the #2, or maybe they want him to have more seasoning and they go out and get another vet for a year. But his development and progress is just a small footnote to the big decision of whether to keep Cutler.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,989 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    No We, you're looking at it from the long light. The backup qb's role is go in and win NFL games if the starter goes down. All a former starting qb has done is proven he cannot do that.
  18. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    McCown won the game he started for us in 2011 against the Vikings. You know who didn't win games as the backup? Hanie. Let me ask a question. Were you excited when we made Hanie the #2 QB? Because I was not. I was hoping we could convince Bulger to not retire.

Now, I know McCown lost the Packers game in Green Bay on Christmas Day 2011. In his defense, he'd only been here a month. You have got to cut the guy some slack for that.

We didn't play McCown during the regular season in 2012. What more do you want from your backup? He's considered a mentor to his teammates. He can actually give Cutler advice during a game from his years of playing NFL defenses. He's got zero potential long term, but he can get the job done as the backup QB right now.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,989 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    I stand by my previous statement, McCown a former starting qb in the league lost his job b/c he was not capable of doing it and was out of the league b/c of it; therefore he is, by the eyes of EVERY NFL team not capable of being a starter that wins games. And reality is that is what the backup has to be capable of doing; Haine was an unknown, there is no way of knowing if he was capable or not. Campbell was a known, he was a known piece of unqualified garbage and played like it. Blanchard is a uknown, there is no way of knowing what he can do, McCown is a known, a known unqualified piece of garbage.

and this conversation is old there is so many good things to talk about, why is this the one you keep dredging up?
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    Can McCown play RT???