Camp Weds notes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 31, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    McCown couldn't be worse then he is as QB, throw him into the mix. Maybe he can add weight like Shea did :p
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Eh, you just struck a pet peeve of mine regarding experience at certain positions. QB is one of them. Offensive line is another. This conversation would not be happening if we were talking about the experience level of a safety or running back. Also, I'm bored.

The idea that Blanchard being unknown at QB is some desirable quality is ridiculous. Being an unknown is one of the worst qualities in a backup QB. Only a poorly run NFL franchise would go with only a #2 QB that was a UDFA with zero NFL experience except a year on the practice squad for another coach. Even Tom Brady had to spend a year proving himself to Belichick to be the backup QB when he came in as the fourth string QB in 2000.

That you keep saying McCown was out of the league for two whole months has no bearing in this discussion. He got cut from the 49ers in 2011 before we signed him. They had Kaepernick and Smith on the roster. What, you expected him to beat them out?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm with you guys. McCown is a crap backup. They're wasting a roster spot and $ with him. He belongs in a hefty bag, out by the curb, on garbage night.
  4. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,438 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    McCown has three years of starting experience, nearly a decade ago.

Cutler has seven years of starting experience.

Jay doesn't need a mentor. He needs somone to teach.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Wait, Cutler needs to teach someone? Now? No he doesn't. He's the starter. Everyone on this team is learning the offense. Jay is not beholden to teach. He is here to learn and perform at a high level.

Jay is at at the end of a contract year that if he plays well during could result in a 100 million dollar Romo level deal. If he fails this year, we let him walk, and he's got to go somewhere else on a "prove you can play" one year deal, and he probably never gets a chance at the big dollars again.

Hate to say it, but if I was Cutler, I wouldn't give Blanchard the time of day if it interfered with my learning this offense and my big chance at money like that. You can take your "good teammate" BS and cram it up your wazoo. I get my long term deal? Hell, come over here, son. Let me show you how it's done.

Cutler needs to learn this offense. We have invested far more into Cutler than any scrub UDFA we scraped up off the street. Emery needs to find out one thing this year: Can Cutler and Trestman work together. Trestman is the future here, not Cutler. If Emery's chosen head coach cannot get along with Cutler, we need to know that this year.

McCown has been a backup QB forever. He's learned quite a few NFL style systems. He likes to teach, he's not in line for some big payday, and the more helpful he is to the other players will help him stick to the roster. He seems to have picked this system up enough to hold his own little seminar to the rookies the first day of camp at the hotel.

We aren't worried about his potential, which is zero. We know what he is. He's a backup caliber QB. He's not going to step in and win the SB if Cutler goes down. He can be depended on to run an NFL style offense. Blanchard isn't ready to do that yet. I wish I could communicate that message clearer.

It's the difference who you want to drive you to the hospital, a kid on his learner's permit who only driven a car on a driving course, or my 70 year old dad. That kid might be the next Mario Andretti, but hitting the road for the first time he is more likely to crash the car.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    You cannot communicate the message b/c you have no ability to prove it. If McCown was capable of running an NFL style O, he'd be a starter somewhere, he's not b/c he cannot.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well as much as I hate to do this Ric (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) I have to call bull shit on that. Read that over to yourself again and you'll realize how ridiculous it sounds. There are at least 32 plus QBs on NFL rosters who won't be starters but they need to be there to play in case the #1 guy goes down.

If the keep there jobs or win jobs as a #2 I think it's safe to assume they can operate their teams offense well enough to at least have some chance of winning a few ball games but the days of a backup like Earl Morrall taking anyone to a Super Bowl are long gone and have been for some time. That sounds to me like they're all capable of playing in the NFL without throwing up in the huddle or tripping over their own shoelaces as they drop back to pass.

Why don't you explain who you want for a backup QB and what you expect him to prove before he wins that job. If you're gonna bitch about McCown then let's hear your solution. Campbell's NFL stats were far more impressive than McCown's and all you did was bitch about how paying him $3.5 mil was a waste so this year the cap is tight and we learn to live with a guy whose cap cost is about $3 mil less and that's not doing it for you either. So whose your pick to click big guy?

Blanchard showed some stuff last game but it was against Carolina's scrubs and we should pretty much have figured he could do that already. He went undefeated in college against talent like that. But how will he fare against the other guys first team? Well right now we don't know because he hasn't been up against them but lucky for us we have another QB who has been 50 times in his career and he did win some of those games so where in the blue hell do you come off saying that he can't run an NFL offense?

He already has, 50 more times than our #3 has in fact, so since these are our only two choices who are you putting at your #2 spot coach?
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    Soul, you ignorant slut(snl 70's skit, nothing personal) but there aren't 32 starting quality nfl starters right now, in the league, of the backups there are only a small portion that could start for those teams that don't have one...McCown isn't one of them...the few that are capable of starting were drafted recently and not likely to be traded and have not had a shot at FA. McCown actually did have his choise of teams to goto, and not one wanted him, which is why he was a HS coach and not even a backup a few years ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,839 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    303ß
    No kidding... and honestly, if Emery & co decide to go in a different direction and Cutler isn't starting for da Bears next year, I can all but guarantee he is starting somewhere else. That's how bad it is... at least that's what I think.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    You're still avoiding the last question coach. Cutler goes down and you've only got two bullets left to use so which one goes in the gun first? If Jennifer Aniston would have married me instead of Brad Pitt I'd never have left her for Angelina Jolie but I didn't get the chance. Why are we even talking about what isn't instead of what is?

There are too 32 quality starters in the NFL right now because two will need to start in each of 16 games every week. That makes them an NFL caliber starter but just like pistols some a .22 cal, some are .38s, there's a few .40 cals. a .357 or two and then there's a handful of .44 magnums. But they're all starting for their teams and if Cutler goes down and he's a .357 then we'll just have to use one of our .22 cal subs. Maybe next year we can afford a .38 or turn Blanchard into one.

So coach which one of those .22s you plan on using first? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well that's a given since according to Ric there aren't even 32 starting caliber NFL QBs around period and he can't be any lower than 15 or 16 on the list. That means at least half the NFL should be calling him the day he becomes a FA. :p
  12. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß

What no .50 cal reference? ;)
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    There were some but I think they're all dead now. :D
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    Bullets are bullets, meant to be spent one is not better then the other. I've answered that question multiple times. Wanna know why Pitt left Aniston for Jolie...Jolie's younger so thanks for making my point.

So Weeden is a quality starter in the NFL? Gabbert? Ponder? Locker? Those are quality starters in the NFL? Who you crapin'. Most of that 2nd paragraph makes no sense, but I think I get the point you were trying to make. Again, you have made my point. You're saying McCown is a .22, which is below all the other starters in the NFL, even the likes of the ones I mentioned, he is not a capable backup if he is not a potential starter. You claim Blanchard is also, but you don't know that for certain, Blanchard might well be a .38 or a .44 but you don't know for certain. But there is a better chance of him being that then McCown somehow becoming something he never was.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    That makes no sense. Of course he can run an NFL offense. You know, I realize I am wasting my time, so let's cut to the chase.

Who do you think the Bears are going to have as their #2 QB? Not who you would pick, but name the player on this team that you believe the Bears will make their backup QB. Then you tell me why they will make that choice.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    This entire conversation was never about what they would do, but what they should do. Two completely different subjects. If blanchard is not capable of starting in a pinch he should not be on the roster. We already know McCown is not capable of starting, he also shouldn't be on the roster. Campbell last year(perfect example of the idiocy of "vet" backup) was incapable of starting and never should have been on the roster.

Teams w/legit starting qb's do NOT have old washed up has beens on their roster, they have young guys that have potential, Think NE's is swetting Brady being down b/c they don't have a "vet backup" no, they'll run w/Mallett and know that the season is probably lost b/c you cannot replace Brady. But they would have never wasted cap or time on a McCown or Campbell or whatever other "vet" name you want to throw in there. Did Den have a vet backup last year when they took a huge gamble on Manning? No, none of those guys have any real in game NFL experience the likes of McCown and Campbell have, but they all have potential to do something if the need arises; same w/GB same w/the 'Aint's. You are wasting your time b/c your point is invalid. If Chicago runs w/McCown it will be as poor of a choice as Shea in the first round last year.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,892 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,211ß
    I am not a McCown fan. At all.

But having said that, I will reluctantly say that he is good for our team. He is not going to take a team by the scruff of the neck and pull them through to a game win. But most starters can't do that either. The guy comes in and plays nice solid, mistake free ball and can hold the lead and even score. I just don't know what more is reasonable to expect of a backup QB. I'd like our BU to be able to come in and not miss a beat from our starter, but again you won't see much if any of this in the league. I am not impressed with him, but taking any emotion and subjectivity out of it, the guy really is a good BU.

As far as Blanchard goes, I would LOVE to see this kid develop and take the #2 spot. The fact that is has not happened yet has me a little worried. If McCown is still the BU next year and Blanchard is still #3, then something is wrong. I want a young guy that is capable of being #3. I love Blanchard, but if he is not that guy, then we need to move away from him and get that person on the roster. Blanchard was running for his life last game and getting a taste of the Cutler protection. Hard to tell what the kid can do by watching that. Hopefully, Trestman has a good bead on his ability and I really hope the kid can develop. I have not seen any real negatives on him, but he may just be a middle of the road guy. Not sure how much time Trestma spends with the #3 QB, but I hope he can bring him along.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    BiH, I won't disagree w/most of that, other then the idea that McCown is capable of anything, he sucks flat/plain/simple. But if Blanchard isn't capable of surplanting him then the team needed/needs to replace both of them....I'll go w/needed.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,892 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,211ß
    WEll, Ric. I'm certasinly not going to expend a lot of energy defending McCown, but as much as I think he is marginal, the guy comes in and does the job when called on so I can't say much about it. We don;t seem to have any better options and with him doing decent when called upon, I am not going to deride him much either. I will agree that I would like to see a stronger option, but last year we thought we had one and honestly, looking back I think McCown would have done better.
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    I might say we need younger qb's. But where exactly is the cutoff? At what point of age do they stop developing or where can older dogs learn new tricks (if they have the arm)? Is there ever a modern instance of a "vet" reinventing his game?