Camp Weds notes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 31, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,406 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    Not really, McCown was horrible tonight, dude was in against the 2's and couldn't move the ball, and could only score if the D gift wrapped a TO. Blanchard again was running for his life w/the 3's OL. Blanchard being hurt does suck though, was anyone listening to what the announcers were saying about how high the team is on Blanchard?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,419 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    That's great and I'd love to see it, but until Blanchard gets healthy and shows something, McCown is the #2. Again, just the reality of it, like it or not. Blanchard better get well soon cuz he's running out of PS opportunities. Good news is he's still got another year of practice squad eligibility and he probably won't be poached.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,296ß
    This is what I was saying earlier... Or maybe yesterday. While I don't think McCown is a super QB, the guy gets it done.

I'm worried that Blanchard might be getting robbed of development opportunities because he is #3 and his only time to play is in the pre-season. Unfortunately, our #3 OL is like a death sentence. He is like a pinata back there.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,406 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    Yep, that OL he's playing behind is...wait did, get him hurt. and he rarely even has 3 sec's to make a read and make a clean throw.
  5. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,850 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    Exactly... so they didn't know... they were hoping (or "guessing" to use your terminology) based off of what they saw in practice. I was merely pointing out the flaw in your argument that you just shouldn't play a QB unless they know how they handle themselves in the regular season... lol... every pro QB at some point has never played a regular season snap. But I understand now that you were using the word "know" kind of loosely there, so that explains that...

I'm on "Team Blanchard" for 2nd string and keeping McCown on speed dial for if/when the shiz hits the fan. Trestman seems to like Blanchard and see something in him... and we don't know if he can step up during a game and be a solid starter... but we pretty much know that McCown can't at this point in his career. I'd rather take a shot with Blanchard and hope we strike UDFA gold (a la. Tony Romo) because, let's face it... if Cutler goes down and we need to use either one... the season is probably toast.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    They are guessing based off what they saw in practice over a year or in some cases years of practices and garbage time during regular season games. You want to promote Blanchard to second string after watching him in one training camp preseason over a few months. Even though he has never been on a 53 man roster, played poor competition in college, has never stepped onto a field during a regular season game, and has whose only experience is that he's been the 3rd string QB this year and on the practice squad last year.

It's such a bad idea to go with the untested player without a known vet on the roster. You'd rather just scratch the lottery ticket during a real live NFL regular season game than let the process of the player proving himself to the coaches over time. I'm just surprised there are so many posters with this same opinion.

From what I've been reading this morning, it sounds like the kid was considered a longshot to even make the roster anyway.
  7. AtomicTommy

Ratings:
    +2,850 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    And you might be right. This debate might be a moot one.

But yeah, I kind of do... and it's been two training camps and pre-seasons, not one. He was signed after the 2012 draft, not this year. Maybe it's just my gambler mentality, but when my back is against the wall (The team's back absolutely would be if Cutler went down) I'd rather throw my cards down on the table and take a shot at the playoffs than slow play with McCown to the offseason. I think it's safe to say that McCown isn't going to take us to the post season. We don't know if Blanchard can. Remember how screwed everyone thought the Cowboys were when Romo's number was called... you never know unless you let 'em play.

And you can dog Blanchard's college competition all you want... doesn't make what he accomplished unimpressive by any means... based on your criteria for what makes an acceptable young NFL QB, some kid who tore it up at Southern Methodist University and Sam Houston State (Yes... that would be Josh McCown) should never even have gotten a shot based on who he played against in college... and shouldn't even have been Jake Plummer's backup. FWIW, Blanchard's college career blows McCown's out of the water.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,406 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    ^^^^^ This 10000 internet points to you sir.
  9. AtomicTommy

Ratings:
    +2,850 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    Also, like I said in the post you quoted and responded to, I'd keep McCown on speed dial for when the shiz hit the fan and Blanchard had to start... and I assume McCown would be the first person called if Cutler went down and Blanchard had to start... so you wouldn't be going with an untested player without a known veteran on the roster... at least not during the next game. Cuz you'd have Blanchard and McCown there to bail him out if it failed.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    I'm just so surprised
    Are you kidding me about Romo? He was on the Cowboys for three years before he got a shot, and that was from Bledsoe getting injured.

Those schools you listed are division I teams. Besides, McCown was a 3rd round pick, and was not the only QB on his roster besides Plummer.

Look, I don't understand the flack I am getting for wanting my backup #2 QB to have played in a regular season NFL game before if I am not going with an emergency QB on the roster. That's what you guys are advocating. MB at #2 if he were healthy and no #3. And it's stupid. I'm sorry. It's just football stupid to run an NFL team like that. You can't afford to lose a game because you didn't think to carry a QB who has taken snaps during a regular season game before unless you have been coaching him for at least a year and know more about him except a training camp.

I'm not weighing in anymore on this topic. I've beaten it to death. It's been fun, but I can see some other posters' feelings are getting hurt by my insistence on this idea. Not you, Tommy, and you've been quite civil. Don't take anything I have said personally. Just defending my ideas as best I can.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,406 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    "Look, I don't understand the flack I am getting for wanting my backup #2 QB to have played in a regular season NFL" Romo had played in 0 nfl games before he was thrown in as backup, same w/Yates. Both proved that you don't need NFL experience. you're entire theory is flawed.
  12. AtomicTommy

Ratings:
    +2,850 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    It wasn't really my intention to give you flack... and I won't and am not taking anything personally... I was just debating my position, as well...

As far as how long Romo was on the team is irrelevant... his number was called when it was called. I don't necessarily think having an extra training camp and preseason of snaps with the 2nd and 3rd teams is going to prepare you for taking over the starting QB spot (rolling with the 1s, might help some). You either have it or you don't... and you'll never know if you have it unless your number gets called.

Sidenote: How many articles did we read about how shitty Aaron Rodgers looked in training camp? I remember quite a few. "Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn" type articles... Now look at the dickhead. lol

I guess where you and some of us disagree is you think it makes sense to have two veteran QBs... I think it makes sense to scrap the second veteran and replace him with someone with potential and that can be groomed unless that IS your starter, in which case, a veteran backup makes a lot of sense, since you probably don't have the time and resources (its impossible) to groom 2 QBs at the same time.

Anyways... I'm ready to move on too. lol
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,406 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    "since you probably don't have the time and resources (its impossible) to groom 2 QBs at the same time."

Unless your wash, then you pimp 2 starting quality qb's in the same draft. btw Wash did pretty damn well w/Rookie/Rookie zero nfl experience and Rex Grossman(awful) w/nfl experience as their 3rd. Again proving the theory of vet backup as invalid.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Romo was the special teams holder for years for the Cowboys. He had taken snaps during games for experience. Parcells loved his potential, yet it took him three years to make him the #2. Do you see what I am getting at? There is valuable experience being gotten there. If they had just gone with romo as the #2 his rookie year, then that would prove your point.

There is a huge difference between a player getting one preseason/training camp on a team with the same coach, or getting one preseason/ training camp, sticking to the roster, getting an entire season of practice and game time preparation, and then another training camp and preseason.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Wrong, they had a vet backup on the roster that could play if Cousins struggled. Also, Cousins was a 4th round pick and played in a better conference. Your point would be proven if Washington did not have anyone as their #3 emergency QB.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,406 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    no #1 and #2 were rookies w/zero experience, doesn't matter what conference they were from. Tebow was from a major conference and he sucked balls. Talent is talent, all a big conference does is give you a bigger stage to ply your wares to your future employers.
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Guy, the point we are arguing is if you can have an inexperienced QB as your #2 without carrying an emergency QB. That's the point. If Washington had taken some UDFA QB off someone's practice squad who spent one year on someone's practice squad, made him the #2, and then cut Grossman during preseason. That would be your point.