Can Bears maximize Michael Bush?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    If you ask me Michael Bush and Tyronne Wheatley are essentially the same person, so I could see Trestman's comments being honest and open. However, I think Rb's are the easiest position on the team to fill. There is a glut of them in the draft, on practice squads and in free agency.

If the game is save against the cap, and I think it is, Bush is designated as a June 1 cut to spread the cap hit out...meaning he would only cost $1mm. We can use the $2.8mm in extra cap space. Also, it's important to remember that we've already paid the cash to the man....cap is one thing, but the Bears are always mindful of cashflow.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,108ß
    I agree with all of that. I'd also add that it seems like the RB position is one of the easier ones to fill - especially a backup RB. I look at the $4-mil we're paying for a backup RB, and can't help but think we could use some of that money elsewhere. I'd rather see us spend a couple mil on our backup QB (McCown)......or maybe just have more money to re-sign another guy we need to keep. I 100% agree with the blocking comment.....our run-blocking needs to get significantly better.

3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Bush and Earl Bennett are pretty much in the same boat IMO. There both decent "backup" players in their respective positions who currently are being paid/have cap hits that can't be justified by what they now add to the overall team. Both of them have players ahead of them on the depth chart (Forte and Marshall/Jeffery) who are way better and too valuable to keep off the field very much so Bush and Earl get limited touches/targets.

Bush was signed to an overly generous contract as an insurance policy at a time when Forte was no longer under contract and threatening to hold out.
    Bennett was likewise signed by JA back when he was our only viable WR (hard to believe but Earl was a our best WR just a couple years ago).
    Neither condition applies any longer.

Both of them have younger/cheaper players who are threatening to take their job (Ford/draftee and Wilson). I am assuming the team is going to ask both of them to renegotiate and take substantial pay cuts or be released after FA and the draft have passed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    If we could redo Bush's contract then keep him. I cant find anybody better if the price is right.

Bennett ... outshadowed by bigger and better WR's. And yes ... Hester is in that catagory also.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,905ß
    Those are 2 good points, something that a lot of fans forget, cap and cashflow are 2 different things; and while it seems a given that both are going to be cap casualties b/c of their cost to play ratio the team might not want to pay them and someone else to replace them.

JJ, I'm aware of fresh legs and that Bush hasn't done anything since arriving here. I'm also aware that Ford is younger, cheaper and has even fresher legs and can ride the pine just as well as Bush can; and so could any # of late round to UDFA picks. He needs to take a substantial paycut to stay here, and if he's not willing to(and I'm not sure he should) then he should get cut to allow him to go somewhere else and get paid better w/a better shot to play.

6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    I just remember the year we had to start our AP due to injuries, and if you look around the league last year when the starting RB goes down it has a huge impact.

We need a good back up and Bush is about the best back up we can find.
    If they can get him to take a pay cut, then good, but I doubt he will.

I'm not sure I would want Ford as the backup, because we really know nothing about him.

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,108ß
    There have always been teams that have solid running games when the starter goes down. Some of the Denver teams of the past would be down to their 3rd string RB, and still be dangerous with the run game. Of course you have to have an offensive line that can run block. We don't have that yet.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,905ß
    Look at Hou a few years ago, they damn near made a star out of their 3rd stringer. Den, like JABF said, has always seems had a good deep RB group. And I remember AP doing okay when he came in. It had to be the 07 season b/c it's the only time he had over 100 touches for the Bears. running the b all he averaged 3.4 yards but avg'd over 8 yards per recs. In 230 touches he had 930 yards, not to shabby, and the 07 season was right about when that OL started to fall apart.

The trick is the GM/HC having the ability to find a quality rb late(they are out there). You don't need a starter in the making, or a former starter. You just need a guy that can play, and like OG's and C's, you can get them all over the draft w/regularity, and it's a lot cheaper then paying a guy 4mil to ride the pine as an insurance policy.

9. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    736ß
    ur right Ric, but remember Fortes contract issues and the moment they gave Bush big bucks - insurance policy

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,905ß
    a, I understood why they did it at the time, didn't like it, thought they should have just given that money to Forte and drafted one, would have killed 2 birds; now the team is dealing w/the repurcussions. They never needed a big time vet backup, which they have always felt the need to put behind Forte, they needed an OL that could actually hold a line and a scheme that actually worked.

• Like Like x 1