Can Marquess Wilson Make Chicago Bears’ Offense Better in 2014?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Wouldn't it be cool to see him improve enough this off-season to be a real threat on offense this year? He's an amazing talent for the 7th round pick. Emery did well here.

2. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Yes it would! According to the article, he will have to beat out Bennett in training camp, but if I'm not mistaken, the salary cap and our need to add help on defense may do that for him. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is much (if any) dead money associated with Bennett, so cutting him loose could be a relatively painless way to free up some cash.

If this kid can even learn a fraction of what Jeffery did in the off season, he will come back and be better than Bennett. In my opinion, Bennett has never been the same since he got that real hard hit in the chest going across the middle in a Saints game a couple of years ago. I think he was out for about 1/2 dozen games after that, and I don't think he's really come back since then.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +483 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    Agree with you about Earl, he was never the same after that hit.

If Wilson goes and works out with Marshall and Jeffrey in the off-season, I fully expect him to come in and dominate as #3
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    218ß
    I don't think he'll dominate, there isn't enough balls to go around enough for him to do that. Right now you have a 2 #1 WR's(Marshal and Jeffery) a #1 RB, who's right now a top 5 back, and a solid rec TE. Dominate isn't the word, and he'll struggle to even find the field if the team continues to need to use 2 TE sets b/c the OL needs added help.

All he has to do is be capable of coming in and making a few plays each game and it will be a good season.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    It will be very helpful if he comes on and is capable or making plays from the slot. If he is working out with Marshall and Jeffery then that's very possible.
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I think 4dabears is exactly right about Bennett. Freeing up the cash could also bring back Joe Anderson (who is a FA I believe). Tolliver could be an option if he trains with Marshall as well. Still though I think the O would be best served with a good second TE or a very fast slot WR. Great to see this position finally being a strength and nobody named Drake coaching them.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Don't know why you guys attribute so much to working out with BM lol

AJ is a talented Wr and his on field success has little to do with BM. His attitude and humbleness may have to do with having a mentor like BM who has been through the issues, but thinking Joe blow will be a star from working with BM is insane lol
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +436 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    If Wilson supposedly weighs 194 than I don't want to get on that scale I would weigh 450.
    It was weird and great to actually see 2 WR playing at same time in the pro bowl and I believe Wilson could make it 3. Bears go from having no legit #1 WR to the point they now having 2 with a 3rd waiting in the wings. Obviously if they can get the D going next year will be very very interesting.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I agree that ultimately the player has to have the talent, and you either have it or you don't. But I do believe it is valuable to have players who are willing to get together in the off-season, at Brandon Marshall's place, to refine their skills. Jay Cutler has also said he's going down to B.Marsh's place this off-season, to help the WR's.

How cool is that?

They'll probably have a lot of fun too, while alsoo working on route running and timing with Jay passing to them. For our youngsters, this has to be good for their development. It sounds like Marquess is joining them this year. I wish the 6'5" Toliver would join them too. We now have 4 tall/fast WR's ranging from 6'3" to 6'5" - and all have decent speed too.

I have a LOT of respect for Brandon Marshall starting this thing last year. Having an older veteran like him as a mentor is priceless, and I'm not just talking about the WR skills. Since he's come to the Bears he's been a real leader on the team. I love it.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  10. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Really? Insane? Pretty strong words man.
    I don't expect (nor did anyone say) that Marshall can turn "Joe Blow" into a "star" by working out with him in the off season. However, can you make any kind of valid argument that AJ didn't improve immensely between his first and second year? What happened between those two years? I believe Jeffery received a lot of one on one time with one of the league's best receivers. Are you not suggesting that is irrelevant? I understand the Post Hoc logical fallacy, but you can't ignore the benefit, either large or small, of having that opportunity. Furthermore, we're not talking about "Joe Blow", we're talking about guys that played the position in College and were drafted because they are already pretty good. So you are suggesting one on one time spent with a Pro Bowler who plays the same position that you play would not be responsible for a significant elevation of your game? You're saying to suggest that is insane? Hmmm, OK.

So I guess one on one time my High School son gets working with a big time college pitcher wont do him any good? Right? If he improves dramatically, develops a killer knuckle ball or splitter, it will all be because of his own talent and not the instruction he gets. Thanks for the heads up. You just saved me a ton of money. I'll just have him check out Kent Murphy's baseball wisdom on-line.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    yep insane...some of you really take things to heart don't ya lol

I'm not discrediting BM and what he means to the team but the improvement comes from working together like JABF mentioned. So the improvement has nothing to do with BM directly. But apparently i'm pissing in everyone cheerios lately so i'm done.

Have fun and BEAR DOWN!!!
  12. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Working w/BM is infinitely better than working with Drake which would have been insane.
  13. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Being a great WR requires not only talent, but a huge number of techniques in order to be most effective. Do you remember the GB game last year when AJ was called for three offensive PI calls? When was the last time you saw BM called for one? Do you watch him play carefully? He pushes off on nearly every route, but he does it subtly. Do you think that BM is the receiver that he is simply on talent alone? No, he has refined his craft through the years, and that is what makes him one of the best in the league. It was patently obvious watching AJ this year that BM has taught him well, and I'm sure he will continue to refine those skills and become a consistently dominant WR. I hope that the other youngsters on the roster recognize the opportunity that they have, and take advantage of what BM is offering them.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,198 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    79ß
    yeah, no, maybe, i don't know.
  15. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Patterning one's game around a pro and apprenticeships aside, how many athletes go to camps that are riddled with seasoned pros with some great stuff to show? Individual sports for example give intensive one-on-ones in hopes of gaining just a small edge. Which in a setting like the Olympics is the difference in medal color. Comparatively pros do seek other pros like a Kobe seeking out an Olajuwon to work with to reap large dividends.

In the grand scheme of things it does matter. How indelible would probably depend on the person and the circumstance. Working out with a seasoned pro for a month or so straight would reap big dividends for an unseasoned pro.
  16. Passepartout

Passepartout Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Seems like picks that are in the 7th round and 6th round do better as 1st rounders usually go bust. Tom Brady and Joe Montana are the perfect example of six round picks. One is in the HOF and another will be there!
  17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    Hmmm ... in order to get Wilson involved we'll have to move Alshon or Marshall from split end and flanker to ... Slot ?

What if Wilson plays slot ... can he play slot ? Ok thats some deep shit right there ...

Jeffry and Marshall at outside ... Wilson under the middle ... if Wilson is as advetised ...

does that preclude the need for a pass catching T.E. ?

In other words you have the basic best 3 man combo at WR THE CHICAGO BEARS have seen since ...

well ... your grandfathers have never seen it.

:pamela:

But then again thats all speculation.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    218ß
    JJ, no BM/AJ will stay where they are. MW will be in the slot most times, and if he's as advertised has yet to be seen.
    No it doesn't preclude a pass catching TE, it precludes a 2nd blocking TE though, which means that 2 things have to happen:
    1) the OL has to be better at blocking on it's own
    2) Cutler has to be better at getting the ball out quicker
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    The Bears are evolving into a team with a nice variety of weapons. It's an array of effective and talented weapons that can make big plays. Once Trestman fully develops this offense (we're just seeing the first iteration of it now), it will be an offense that will be difficult to stop. Any decent defense can shut down a one-dimensional offense. But the Bears are building such a diverse offense that opposing defenses won't be able to beat us by simply shutting down Brandon Marshall, or even our top 2 WR's. Beginning next season, we should have every single skill-player on offense, a person who can make big plays - this included RB's, all of the WR's & our receiving TE. All Cutler has to do is learn to spread the ball around to keep the defenses off-balance. The key here is for the offensive line to continue to improve as Ric noted. The OL is better, but it's not where it ultimately needs to be.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  20. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    From what I saw this kid is quick... like really quick in and out of routes. The question is if he can add bulk and maintain that speed to survive life in the NFL. He shows good hands, great quickness and ball awareness.
    • Like Like x 1