Can this defense survive the bye week without giving up 400 yards?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 27, 2013.

?

Can they?

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    The O is not the problem. They are scoring more points than basically everyone but the Broncos.

The D Is what is killing the team.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    Benj, but they are scoring those points b/c of D turn overs and ST's giving them great field position, not b/c they are driving the field eating up clock. If they have to drive the field, more often then not they are failing to do it. Again this O is only getting 50+ yard drives 3 times a game in most instances; and that isn't enough to protect this D.

The D is A problem, but THE problem. But the solution to the problem is the O taking more time off the clock, keeping ToP in their favor, and the D off the field. The question is how do they do it? IMO they need to get rid of the max protect 2 TE sets, put an extra WR out there, Earl, Joe, Marquise, whoever, and get the ball out at 3 steps.
  3. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    Well... Using that logic the defense is to blame for always being on the field then. Shorter field position, shorter drives, less time for the D to rest.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    no it's not using the same logic. If the O is staying on the field it allows the D time to rest, while tiring out the D, the O doesn't get tired or worn out.

Also the O isn't scoring as much w/out the D's turn overs and ST's 's short field, If you're postive on the O is that they are scoring, a lot, then it's negated by the fact they are handed short fields by ST's and D turn overs....when those don't happen, the O isn't scoring, so this idea that the O is just putting up video game #'s isn't a true understanding of what is happening on the field, it's a mirage that hides the O's real ineffeciencies.
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    So, let's see if I can understand you.

Even when given a shirt field, you want the offense to stall to lengthen the time of the drives and not score right away to give the defense time to rest?
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,272 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    153ß
    No, he's not saying that. He's saying, the offense isn't capable of moving the ball long distances, and HAVE relied on the defense this year, for shorter fields. The Bears are one of the worst at TOP, and 3 and outs, so how no one sees the problem of having a mediocre defense on the field more often and for longer lengths than they should, is beyond me.

Part of the reason why our offense has so many problems is that our offense is more unbalanced than it was under Martz or Tice. I understand that in the west coast offense, the RB's carries will be parlayed into catches, but with us passing on 60% of our downs, and us having the 4th highest YPP average in the league, it's pretty obvious (besides seeing it each game), that when the offense DOES click, they're looking for a big play. Now, my guess for why our running game is unbalanced is a combination of having an offensive line that's better at pass protection than running, a quarterback that likes to audibilize too much, and a HC that, at this point, isn't using any diversity in our run game (besides the 3rd tackle as a TE).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    I get that part. But others write off the low TOP to the defenses ability to get the offense a short field to work with.

So just trying to figure out exactly where he stands is all
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I agree with everything above and that's a very well put diagnosis of the growing pains we are all seeing on the O side of the ball. I still don't think Forte is being used enough/properly, Bush isn't being used at all, and Cutler still balks too often at hitting the checkdowns and running the play Trestman calls. We are getting off topic for this thread but, of course, better ball control by the O would help the D. No kidding. Rested is better than tired, no surprise there.

But let's not kid ourselves here that the D isn't a steaming pile of garbage. Even rested, it would still be just well-rested garbage. In the week 7 game, the O made several long, ball-control drives that converted into points (with Josh McCown at the helm!!) and the D couldn't make a single stop. Not one to win the game in the second half. And this wasn't against some offensive juggernaut of a team. It's been the same story all year. The D sucks.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Garza wanted to thank you for showing your support Henry. MP blowing up the house is not a good option... Sometimes you remodel a room (ie. O Line)... Sometimes you get a new curtain (D Line would improve safety play). The point is too much has been invested, a little paint will go a long ways and I believe Emery is already scouting inventory at home depot.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I'm in favor of a "little paint" if that includes 2 new DLs, a CB, a S (or at least depth/competition), and serious consideration given to some new D coaching staff.
  11. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm still on the fence evaluating the D's coaching staff. I don't know enough to properly assess where the real problems are. Injuries are part of it, but can not be the escape goat for everything.

It is not a comfortable situation, so I agree at minimum some furniture is going to have to move around. Hopefully this has been a productive bye week...
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    Agreed, and Henry and I haven't said they were any good. but them rested is still better then them tired, and them not on the field is still better then them on the field.
    FYI: Josh got the majority of his long drives in the3rd and 4th, and by then it's already to late, the D is gassed.