Can we please stop making excuses for the defense?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Sep 29, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Did the offense play poorly today? Of course it did. Did Bad Jay show up today? Of course he did. With all of that having been said, can we PLEASE stop straining to make excuses for a mediocre defense which seems to prevent teams from scoring ONLY when it actually generates a turnover? Stafford picked us apart today, IN SPITE of the fact that Megatron didn't have a huge day. Instead, Stafford simply (and efficiently) spread the ball around to 6 different receivers, posting a completion % of 65.7 %. This defense CANNOT generate a pass rush (today's effort? one total sack...which was also the sole QB hit). Yes, it was by Peppers, which does not make it any better. Gold sticker goes to Pep...he finally registered a single sack...now where was the rest of the DL?! Meanwhile, Detroit racks up 3 sacks, 6 total QB hits and countless pressures.

How this defense (with a DL which cannot rush the passer, CB's who are average at best IN MAN COVERAGE, and safeties who are only slightly above average ON THEIR BEST DAY) continues to escape blame is beyond me. How many more TD drives do they need to give up before we accept the fact that they are NOT a good NFL defense? Once the turnovers dry up, they are helpless to stop anyone. Call me crazy, but a GOOD defense SHOULD be able to ya know, stop teams every once in a while, WITHOUT having to rely on a turnover. We have all gotten so addicted to the whole "Chicago's defense is GREAT because it generates turnovers" canard, that we conveniently ignored all of the yardage, completions and points this defense actually gives up when it doesn't force a turnover. I guess we just have to hope that Brees throws 5+ INTs next week, so that we can once again live in denial about our "great defense." God Willing, Emery realizes this and makes rebuilding this defense the number 1 off-season priority. I would love to have an attacking defense which is capable or consistently stonewalling teams over the course of 3 consecutive downs. Seattle's defense manages to BOTH force turnovers AND force 3 and outs on their opponents. It would be nice to have a defense like that, but then again, Seattle's DB's can actually play man coverage.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,642 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Stafford was also 2 of 13 on 3rd down conversions and w/out Cutler handing over the ball would have only accounted for 24 points. In today's NFL that's pretty damn good against an O w/that many options to spread it around.

Again this D over the last 2 or 3 years has had the same problem, w/out turn overs it doesn't stop the other team, it's the same D as before and it gets exposed when the O and ST's don't pull their fare share. Its not making excuses for them, teams have figured out that you don't hold onto the ball for the long pass you take the short and medium passes and this team will miss tackles while going for the strip.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL This whole thread is a poorly veiled attempt to make excuses for Cutler. Yes keep turning the ball over and giving your defense 3 and outs and expect them to just be able to stop Stafford and company. Let's just be like the Eagles. Very little time of possession on offense and just keep the defense out on the field all game. Let's just gas our defense game after game with 3 and outs from the O.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    oh and while I'm at hit, where was the RUSH DEFENSE? I thought (rather naively, as it would turn out) that we at least had a decent defense against the run. We get torn apart by Reggie Bush RUNNING the football?! We made that Kardashian loser look like Barry Sanders today. I can excuse the offense because they are starting 2 rookies on the OL, they had played well up to this point, they are still learning a new scheme, etc....BUT WHAT are the excuses for the defense? Same players. Same Scheme. Hell, Tucker even retained the terminology. They have stunk out loud all season long. You can only hide behind Turnovers for so long, before you are EXPOSED. I guess we will all have our fingers crossed that Brees and Rodgers throw 20+ INTs in their 3 games against us this year, 'cause this defense sure as hell isn't stopping them if they don't decide to turn the ball over left and right.
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The defense didn't play well but this game was lost in that 2nd quarter. When the Bears needed Cutler to match DET's scoring in that 2nd quarter he produced the following on his posessions in that 2nd quarter:

3 and out
    Interception (1st play of the drive)
    3 and out
    3 and out
    FG

And you can thank Forte for that 53yd score in the 2nd quarter.

So while DET is putting pts on the board, Cutler is just quickly handing the ball back and got that defense tired in the process. They lost that game in that 2nd quarter. You just can't hand the ball back like to any decent team.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,642 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    nope, it's all the D's fault, how can you expect the O to score or move the ball or get into a rhythm if the D isn't forcing the other team to have equal amounts of 3 and outs and turn overs.....
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    This ^^^^^

This game was SO winable. Cutler just GAVE the game to the Lions. He gift wrapped it and left it at Ford Field for the Detroit team.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +796 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    442ß
    This was a TEAM loss. All phases played badly. Jay stunk it up. There is no doubt. But you know what? So did the DL. So did the LBs. How about those special teams? Look at the great field position Hester & Co. put us in. Look at the great kicking Pudlesh did. The players missed tackles and blocks all game long. Playcalls were suspect. Yeah let's just blame Cutler. If he didn't throw the INTs....Well, if the line didn't let him get sacked there wouldn't have been those 7 pts, or if the DL or the LBs could have stopped Bush, they wouldn't have scored on six consecutive drives.... You can say this or that was the reason, but there was no single phase of this game that caused the loss. It was ALL of them.

When the ENTIRE TEAM plays so poorly, you don't blame ONE guy. Or even just the O or just the D. I blame Trestman for this loss. The team was not ready to play the Lions. It was just another game. Not a DIVISIONAL game. Instead of up 2 games in the division, we are now in second place because of this one loss that was just another game.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    Yup. He said he puts no more importance on this game or any other game. Saying one team is a rival makes that game seem more important than any other game.....

I wonder if he is rethinking this remark
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,642 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Sharx, when your qb has 4 TO's that directly result in 7-17 points for the other team, ya he's going to get the blame....I thought that was all b/c of his awful OL and WR's.....guess not. A OL WILLNOT hold a DL, especially as good as DET's w/out a Sack. NAME a QB that never got sacked in a season; if you cannot then you cannot blame the OL for allowing 4 sacks in 4 games. Hell that sack for a TD wasn't even the OL's fault, per usual Cutler held onto the ball to damn long. he needed to just throw the ball away!

When the ONE guy is the QB, and he puts forth a 4 TO game and cannot convert a 3rd down, then yes you F'n do.
  11. shark86x

Ratings:
    +796 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    442ß
    Ric, I agree Jay stunk today. I said he did. But when the entire team plays so poorly, you can't blame only one guy - the finger can be pointed in several different places. So I'm pointing mine at Trestman. He's the QB whisperer and should have been able to control bad Jay, as well as the rest of the team. And don't forget Marshall and everybody dropping balls also cost us several 3rd downs and a couple touchdowns by the way.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,203ß
    Will he say Packers is just another game? I think -- in the end -- they will still be the team to beat for the division title. And, even if they weren't, any Bears/Packers game is never just another game. I guess he just hasn't been in Chicago long enough yet.
  13. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    Read the thread I started about Rivalries and ask that again
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I think Trestman has helped Jay. But can anyone fix a "head issue" like Jay has in these games? I don't think that problem is something anyone can fix. Just like "Bad Rex" Grossman came at the worst possible times and cost us wins, I believe we'll see appearances of "Bad Jay" Cutler cost us wins.

A lot of what we saw today is fixable. Some isn't. But here's the deal. Even with all of the other issues - this game was winable today, except for Jay's giving the ball away. It broke the team's back. It's a re-run of a horror movie we've seen way too many times in past seasons. He just wets the bet in these big games.

Cutler's disease is terminal for the team. That's how I see it anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Shark, I must respectfully disagree. Not saying the rest of the team was stellar by any means but this game was lost 95% by Jay Cutler. We all knew the shortcomings of the Lovie era--too many resources on D and ST in a modern O-driven game. We all knew those phases would take a step back to move the O towards where it needs to be to compete. Well, the O can't compete if Cutler craps the bed and turns the ball over 4 times.

Watch Brady and Ryan tonight. They don't turn the ball over and don't take avoidable sacks (and fumbles) and they don't miss open targets repeatedly.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    The title of this thread should be:
    PLEASE STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR JAY CUTLER
  17. shark86x

Ratings:
    +796 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    442ß
    Who is making excuses for cutler? I said a couple times he stunk it up today. I'm just pointing out the entire team did too. And i am now done with this game and am moving on to the next.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    lol, it's not Jay's fault that our beloved "Bear Defense" made Reggie freakin' Bush look like OJ Simpson today. Did Jay have a horrible game? yep, he sure did, but the defense played like absolute crap. If Reggie Bush played against this defense for the rest of the season, he'd probably rush for 2000+ yards. I am just tired of having a defense which either: surrenders a long TD drive or generates a turnover. That BS got old about 3-4 years ago. Call me a heretic, but at this point, I would rather have a STOUT defense which was able to stonewall opposing offenses and force punts, EVEN if the # of turnovers decreased by a few.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Shark, apparently the defenders of our below average defense want to launch ad hominem attacks against anyone who points out the obvious deficiencies in this unit. I admitted in the first sentence of my post that Cutler stunk up the joint today, yet I was still accused of "defending Jay." lol. To some, our defense is a sacred cow. but..but..they generate turnovers! lol..just ignore all of those long drives and all of that yardage they surrender!! Just ignore the fact that AJ Green, Antonio Brown and Reggie Bush have ALL HAD career days against our beloved defense this season.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,642 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Reggie Bush in his first 3 games has averaged 144 yards, he had 170, CJ has averaged 90 yards and this game had 44. Bush had a slightly above average game, Johnson had a substantailly bad game. Why are people acting like Reggie Bush is the same no nothing he was a few years ago, he's been big time all year.