Can you believe that we draft Cedric Benson over Aaron Rodgers?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Man, how could you JA?
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Can you believe that 20+ other teams also passed on Rodgers?

How about a few years ago.... Every team passed on Tom Brady several times.....

The NFL is rich with star players who fell far in the draft and have out shined their scouting reports
    • Like Like x 2
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Rodgers would not be the player he is if we had drafted him. Turner did not have the ability to coach offense to players. The only players that did well for us were free agents who learned how to play elsewhere.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    Well, Rex never had the chance to prove himself worthless at that point, and JA couldn't trade down...
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Did you know 15 teams passed over Jerry Rice?
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    revisionist history much? Remember that Benson was part of a rb duo that helped this team goto the SB right? Also remember that the team a year or so earlier had taken Rex in the first and b/c of injs hadn't really got to see what they had in him(good or bad). This guy...ya I went there....would be bitching about how we over drafted Rogers b/c we had Rex and should have taken a RB. Also remember that Rogers got to sit a long while and learn from a great O minded HC, not Lovie and his staff of stiffs.
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +910 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    904ß
    Damn, where's that ignore button again?
  8. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thanks Jer! Cedric Benson created a lot of BS in the locker room and his presence was basically the reason Thomas Jones left/was traded. Another wasted draft pick. All I can say is: Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
    i was just thinking bout benson yesterday, and not in the romantic way. he used to frustrate me a lot, alt. he did help us to sb... i remember how pumped he was against us with bengals, i know thats common but he used to bug me a whole lot. thats why i love our rbs now, much better
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    That whole TJ/Ben thing had a whole lot to do w/TJ and I'm still stunned fans don't give any blame to TJ. Again revisionist history. TJ had done nothing to prove that he would be that good when we picked him up in FA, and then he went full on diva when the Bears drafted CB.

CB was frusterating, and a bit of a douche but the kid had talent, and he showed it at his two other stops; TJ did also, and if they could have gotten along it would have made a great 1-2 punch for several years
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yep, I agree. All of these guys have BIG egos, but why stir up a hornets nest. Another way of putting it is this:"if it ain't broke don't fix it." Jones was no Walter Payton but he was a decent back plus Jones was respected by teammates. The presence of Benson divided the locker room. I am a firm believer in drafting to fill needs, whether they are immediate or in the not too distant future. They didn't need a tailback. All I'm saying is that the drafting of Cedric Benson was another of many bonehead moves by Jerry Angelo. Again, if it appears that you are basically set with your skilled positions, draft an offensive or defensive lineman. After all, that's where the games are won or lost. It's been our problem for the last few years.
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Actually, JA was a bit if a visionary. He saw that the league was going in the direction of needing two solid RBs.

Coming out of college, that is exactly what Benson was and I remember most fans here celebrating his being drafted
  13. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Benson came to the Bears with a lot of baggage. Some teams steered clear of Benson because he had character issues. A lot of arrests during the off season and he was in some kind of deal with the LA Dodgers. I believe he signed a contract with them and took some money and never honored the contract. He just used them for the money. If there is anybody out there who knows exactly what the details were I am open to correction. But I know he was trouble. Of course all of the Texas Longhorn fans had nothing but good to say about him, but he never lived up to his potential either with the Bears, Bengals or Packers. I think he played better for the Bengals but that was because the hand writing was on the wall. He realized that the NFL - at least at the time - wouldn't put up with his antics. Let me do some research on the internet and see if I can find some old articles about Benson's problems. He was a talented guy and I think Jerry Angelo kind of saw him as another John Riggins. A work horse. All of this stuff was in all of the Chicago papers, both before they drafted him and after.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß

This is one of the times that you have to look at what was going on. The top of the draft was HORRIBLE. JA wanted to move out and NO one wanted anything to do w/that spot. The top of the draft was all rb heavy, that is where the talent was, that whole draft was just hot garbage. And what did pan out(Rolle/Ware) weren't needs on the team either. Right after Benson, Cadallac Williams and Pacman jones were taken, then Troy Williamson and Mike Williams...I could argue that Benson had as good, if not a better career then all of them.

Anyone looking at the back of the draft and crying about all the talent is ignoring the fact the team would have been slammed for taking a guy #4 overall that wasn't expected to go 10 ten. Benson, as bad as it was, was the best pick at that time
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    JA did not have to use his pick at all. It would have been the best move.
  16. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    All you have to do is Google "Cedric Benson trouble" and you'll get quit a few hits. Some of the trouble was when he was in college. One charge was a marijuana charge. You're right about that draft. Mike Williams just became a lazy bum for the Lions, Williamson I think went with the Vikings and never panned out, and wasn't Cadillac Williams the back with the skinny legs so durability was the issue with him. Wasn't he coming off of an injury before the draft? JA did a decent job drafting on the defensive side of the ball but whiffed a lot on the offensive side. JA did like to trade down.
  17. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Thomas Jones was twice the RB Benson was. If Benson knew how to respect the veterans on this team, his time here would have been much less painful.
  18. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Amen!
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    You line both RB's up under the same OL, w/the same coaches w/the same QB and WR's they were DEAD EVEN as rb's. IF TJ hadn't split the team before CB ever showed up it woud have been a whole lot less painfull.
  20. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    With all due respect I think it was the other way around. The division came after Benson showed up. Benson one time left the field before the game the Bears were playing was over. It didn't score him any points with either the team or coaching staff. Lovie was a players coach and was good at smoothing things out. Jones was granted a trade by Angelo after the Super Bowl because according to Angelo and the entire coaching staff "he had been a good soldier." Look let's just focus on this year and the future. I'm pretty optimistic about the future of the Bears.
    • Like Like x 1