Can you believe that we draft Cedric Benson over Aaron Rodgers?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Aug 30, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    w/all due respect, all reports were that TJ divided the locker room after the draft. There were multiple reports on that. I'm not defending anything that Benson did, but TJ was a huge reason that Benson wasn't accepted by a good portion of that lockerroom
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    You are joking, right? Our team's success left when we traded Thomas Jones in 2007. Benson was nowhere near TJ's productivity when he was the solo back in 2007. Shit, Benson didn't know the blocking scheme in 2007 and had to be pulled on 3rd downs. How stupid and lazy do you have to be that you can't learn the blocking scheme being in the same scheme for three years?

You look at their careers since they left the Bears. Benson has half the yards and TDs TJ had.
  3. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Maybe during his first press conference he should not have told the reporters that he would be starting by week 2. The guy was an overrated stiff that JA and Turner were stupid to draft but Turner wanted his North - South runner.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Okay name the 4th-8th pick they should have drafted instead? Name the guy that had a better career that was in a "need" position?

Again remember to this point TJ had done NOTHING as a rb to make you think he was the long term answer.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,552ß
    Would you rather your first round pick say that he was gonna ride the pine? Personally I like rookies being confident that they are going to come in and take a job away from a vet
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,552ß
    I can just imagine how this press conference would have gone down

CB: It is an honor to be a Bear and play behind a guy like Thomas, learning from him

Press: when do you think you will start?

CB: When ever coach says its my time

Press: do you think you are good enough to start week 1?

CB: if coach says I am sure

Press: how about you? Do you think you are good enough to start week 1?

CB: That's not for me to decide

Press: but what do you think? Do you think you can beat out Thomas?

CB: All I can do is play. If coach says I am good enough then I am.

Yeah.... That would have gone over well
  7. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You know it takes two to tangle, so they both probably had a lot to do with it. Jones was drafted #1 by the Cardinals and they mishandled him. Then he went to the Bucanneers and had a decent year there. Angelo was signed as GM by the Bears and was actually responsible for bringing Jones to the Bears because he was with the Buccaneers organization. He was the director of player personnel overseeing the scouting staff for Tampa Bay. When the Bears signed Angelo as their GM there were four other guys in the running and everyone had more credentials than Jerry Angelo. Tom Modrak who was the GM for the Eagles was the front runner because he built the Eagles team that went to the Super Bowl that year (they lost). Modrak withdrew because the Bears were dragging their feet hiring the new GM. His thought was that by the time the Bears hired him as GM he was assured of having a losing first season because he couldn't get his ducks in row in time.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Really? Tell me how respectful Kyle Long and Jordan Mills have been to the rest of their linemen.

Cedric Benson had missed the entire training camp. He walks up to his first interview in front of reporters, they ask him when does he think he's going to start, he says week 2. They ask him his opinion about the other RBs on the team, and he says he doesn't know who the other RBs are. That's how he treated teammates, and that's why he's a journeyman FA RB.
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,552ß
    Wait a minute...

WTF are we doing talking about Benson? He is anchient history.

ChiCity. Answer me this.

Do you really think Rodgers would be what he is today if he was on the Bears? Learning from Grossman? Coached by Lovie and Co.?

Please.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    People are referring to this JA is that for jackass? :p
    • Like Like x 1
  11. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Do you remember when we drafted Matt Forte, how humble he was in interviews? When asked when he would be starting, he said what's important is that he learns his blocking assignments first so he could be trusted. He deflected the question to not insult the veterans in front of him. Would you rather have had Forte come in telling the media that he would be starting week 2?
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,552ß
    Damn straight. I want guys with confidence who will say what they want

BTW.... Who was the starting RB for the Bears when he was drafted?

Think about that
  13. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    How about it? Turners offense really ticked me off. Why don't you just tell the defense where you are going with the ball.
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,552ß
    Plus there is a huge difference between a second round pick and a top 5 guy
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Benson was supposed to be the starting RB, then he decided to drink and drive multiple times. But you are kidding me. You'd have your rookies piss off the team? Did you not learn anything from the Benson fiasco? Kyle Long has spoken about James Brown as a veteran and how he needs to get better. I'd want my rookies to keep their mouths shut and by their actions prove they belong out there as the starter. But they should never in front of the media dismiss their teammates as inferior.

Here's Mills talking about his fellow linemen: “It’s a great opportunity, it’s humbling, having Roberto Garza, Webb, Jermon Bushrod, Matt Slauson, the whole offensive line helps me,” Mills said. “They’re in your ear every time I make mistakes I can go to the sideline expecting some criticism, constructive criticism -- what to do here, you need to step this way, be a little bit lower, so it’s been great working with them. In my eyes, these dudes are all Hall of Famers in my eyes, so just to be here is so humbling.”

Why didn't Mills talk shit about Webb, even though he probably could tell he sucked? Because, as a rookie, you don't do that because it only makes your time with the team harder.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,025 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,726ß
    Benson was a head case. An immature jerk.

[​IMG]

Thomas Jones was a class act all the way, who busted his butt for the team and produced over 10,000 yards during his career. He was a Pro Bowler.

On the other hand, Ced was just an arrestee pain in the ass.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,552ß
    LOL at using offensive line as an arguing point.
  18. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    [​IMG]

We need this guy in our smiley list. Or something similar
    • Like Like x 1
  19. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    It's even more important for a high round pick to be humble, or at least keep his mouth shut. It would be unacceptable to me if I were a veteran and a guy walks in as a #4 pick overall and expects different treatment. It's a team game.

Well, let's look at the results. Benson opened his mouth multiple times to insult Jones to the media. The team hated him, and his performance was weak here. I have not seen a player do that since. When is the last time you heard a rookie mouthing off to the media about their teammates? I can think of Dez Bryant refusing to carry veteran pads off the field, and his integration with the team suffered for it.
  20. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Those just happen to be the rookies this year that are starting for us. Do you dispute how Forte was as a rookie, or would you have rather he caused trouble on the team as he walked in the door?