Can you believe that we draft Cedric Benson over Aaron Rodgers?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Aug 30, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 3 / -6
    A top 5 pick is expected to be a game one starter. I would be disappointed if the felt otherwise
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 3 / -6
    Asked and answered
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    getting back on point, is there anyone that thinks the hot crap drafted after Benson(notice how no one dared answer that question) would have done better?
    Anyone really think w/Turner/Martz/Tice the WR's and the OL that Rogers really would have developped into the qb he is now in Chicago?
    Is there a reason anyone actually still responds to ChiCityBears trolling?
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    You must have loved Benson then. Benson could have expected to start. There's no problem there. He should have just kept his mouth shut and been respectful of those in front of him. Especially after the longest rookie holdout in Bears history. Forte had the exact right attitude.

“This is a great opportunity to come in and make a mark, I know their running back situation and I have a chance to come in and compete. Nothing is going to be given to me and I know I am going to have to come in and work hard, but it’s a good chance for me to show that I can play in this League and do well and become a great running back in the NFL.”

- Matt Forte
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 3 / -6
    I loved his confidence. I want all our picks to say they want to star week 1
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I wanted Edwards, or if he was gone BMW, or if they both were gone Alex Barron because we needed a LT. Yes, all those choices sucked, but the 2005 draft was terribly scouted and very weak at the top. I knew we had a need at RB, and I wanted Frank Gore for that role in the second round.

My first response in this thread is that Rodgers would not be the same guy he is if the Bears had gotten a hold of him.
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 3 / -6
    In reference I Forte, he was never asked when he would be starting. If he was, his answer might have been the same as Benson. But we will never know
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    but that's the point, the whole top of the draft sucked, Benson was just one of many, blaming JA for picking him over the rest of the garbage is like blaming him for choosing death by shotgun or bazooka, both are going to kill you and leave a giant mess.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    I agree 100% with ya. You didn't see Walter Payton coming in blowing crap like Ced. He was respectful (hell he cried after his first Bears game because he felt he'd let the team down with a poor performance). He was pure class. Forte too for that matter.

But Ced? He was trash. I hated the pick. Just a head case.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    you didn't see WP having news conferrences his first day at HH either.
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Did you like it when he started crying during the draft? :)

I want my rookies to want to start. I just want them to not tell the press that because hurt feelings and disrespected veterans only leads to trouble and a divided locker room. I got no feeling of a lack of confidence from Forte when he started playing for us. I actually felt he was giving lip service to the press, but that's what he is supposed to do, along with sing his school song on command and carry pads. I'd rather my rookies mesh with his teammates instead of piss them off.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    He didn't hold out for over a month before he signed his deal either. Because of that holdout it made Cedric showing up at HH a big deal.

What would have helped Cedric is if he was a better running back than Jones, but he wasn't. He's never been able to hold a candle to TJ.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    My only point is that Ced was pure crap. Never should have drafted him. Walter was a polar opposite. Pure class.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    You guys hit a nerve with me. Ced Benson was perhaps my least favorite pick in the past 50+ years. A piece of utter crap.
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 3 / -6
    Back then players didn't make damn near what they made today. No need to hold out.

FWIW, this was Payton's statement after being drafted

When I get through with Chicago, they’ll be loving me,”
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    he wasn't pure crap. he averaged 4 to 4.5 ypc while here, and his soph year he averaged more TD's per carry then TJ, and TJ fumbled more.

Did the guy have an attitude problem; yep. But again look at all the problems that came after him. Reality is that we'd be bitching about anyone JA would have picked there. In that draft most wanted 1 of the big 3 RB's(brown/Williams/Benson) or BMW or Williamson, all were either hurt the entire time or garbage. I can honestly say that if you were to do the research that Benson problably had the best career of all of them.

I'd also point out that his attitude had a lot to do w/how he was greated and treated in that locker room; and part of that hostility was created b/c of TJ campaigning against him. TJ handled that situation every bit as bad as CB did and yet people swoon over his "professionalism" all the while ignoring the fact that he tried to turn the team against CB, and demanding that JA trade him or let him walk. JA worked w/him and let him go instead of resigning him or tagging him.
  17. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -0
    This another great reason to like these rookie linemen. That was really smart on Mills part and Long is doing the same thing. Those 2 are going to be in simpatico for years to come. It's amazing how grounded Long is from the family he comes from he could easily be a cocky mofo and he could because he is a gifted freak but he's not. That's why you got to like those Longs and why his father comes across as a legit guys guy.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    Here's how another Bears 4th overall pick handled himself:

19. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    That is a wonderful statement, and one of my favorite Payton quotes. Notice at no time did he explicitly diminish any of his teammates.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -0
    How many divas where there when Walter played? That was just unheard of now the game and players are so different I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Probably because all the money and fame that's thrown at these guys it's easy see how it could go to your head.
    • Like Like x 1