Can you believe that we draft Cedric Benson over Aaron Rodgers?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Aug 30, 2013.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Closes thing to Walter's personality on this present team would have to be Martellus Bennett. Because Walter comments were all about getting people to laugh and not at all about being a smartass.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß

[​IMG]

Benj, I don't think you can equate Ced Benson with Walter Payton.

Walter carried himself with dignity. I never had to pick up a paper and see his face in a mugshot for screwing up again. He just quietly went about giving his heart and soul to the Chicago Bears. I was always proud that such a classy guy represented our team.

Ced? I felt about him like I do when I accidentally step in dog crap. Disgusted.

[​IMG]
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Okay. Let me try this.

I do not care about character. I do not care if a player is a jerk or respectful. I want them to be good and win a Super Bowl. If Benson did that, no one would give a rats ass what he said to or about Jones (which I don't think he ever directly insulted him).

I would have no problem with a rookie saying he will be the game one starter one day then walking up to the veteran starter the next, looking him in the eye and tell him that he was coming to take his job.

Results are what matter to me. Not character. Character adds flavor and is a nice touch. But I would rather have a team of asshats who were ultra talented than a team of average guys who were great people.

Payton was a rare mixture of both. Great player and great guy

But it's not needed
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Never compared the two at all
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    You're right about Walter being a rare mixture of both. We can agree on that. I do like the stars who have some humility, and there ARE still some out there. Class acts all the way. Julius Peppers is one that we have now. Forte is pretty classy. Peanut too.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    That's a great point too. It's too bad that many of them blow their money, piss away their careers doing stupid stuff that often ends up wrecking their career AND reputation. Hernandez is a poster boy for this. The mature and smart ones realize they can have the money, fame, great careers AND leave a classy legacy. Chicago worships their sports heroes until the day they die.....and then still worship their memory. Guys like Ced? They go on to other teams, arrests & oblivion. Ya try to forget they EVER played for the Bears. It's like trying to scrape that dog crap from your shoe. Ya want to get rid of em and the stink.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Who gives crap about his ratio of TDs to carries? That just means he was used as a vulture back.

If we had drafted Cadillac or Ronnie Brown, we would have had a better chance in the 2006 SB. At least they would not have taken themselves out of that game. Both of those players knew how to share carries since that's what they did at Auburn together. And Ronnie Brown definitely had a better career than Benson, and in the short term Cadillac was better than both of them in 2005 and 2006 before his back gave out.

Benson was the driving force behind the team turning against him. He was a terrible teammate that no one respected or liked.
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Wining makes bad character guys loved. Look no further than Ditka.

Flipping off fans, challenging them to fights, Ect. Colorful. Passionate. Red assed, in your face, Chicago tough. Why? Because he won a title

Imagine he failed to win in 85. Still colorful, passionate, Chicago tough?

I think people would call him an a-hole.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thomas Jones was the O back when he was on the team. He was a beast for us and the Jets.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    That's a great point too. I think folks figured Ditka was basically a decent guy who loved Chicago. And you're 100% right, that he was a winner here as a coach and player too. That buys a lot of goodwill.
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    If you win, you can be as much of a D-Bag as you want and fans won't care
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    I see your point, and hey, if a player is a jerk, but performs well, then that's better than nothing. But I really prefer the guys like Peppers, Peanut, Forte etc who are winners, but who also seem like great guys too. I do care. But your point is a good one. There have been times when Cutler behaved like a jerk, and I really didn't like that - but of course I was glad that we had a QB who could play better than some of the bums of the past.

The ideal though is to have a player who is a good player AND shows some class.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    except that CB performed to his level, and actually had more td's per carry, but ya keep believing that.
  14. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Or HC of the New Orleans Saints...

[​IMG]
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß

but he wasn't used as a vulture back, he was used as a legit backup where he would come in for a full series when TJ needed a rest after a few series. He flat was just better at scoring, and his ypa were just as high as TJ's, so the idea that he was a vulture back is also proven false

Cadallac Glass and Ronnie Brown wouldn't have taken themselves out of the game if they have busted a knee? And btw, Brown wasn't an option, he was taken before the Bears drafted Benson so it's a moot point.

I think it's highly debateable Brown had a better career, he had a 1K less yards on 400 more attempts and only 5 more TD's in those 400 more carries; add in the recieving yards(which you should) and at best they had the same career(Brown had 1k more yards) They both lost the same amount of fumbles.

The only reason CWill had a better start is b/c he didn't have to share the load w/TJ. But in no shape way or form did he have the career of either of the other two, he was by far the worst of the three,
  16. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,976 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Man, people have some short memories. Why we drafted Benson (over Rodgers):

1.We already HAD a starting QB we drafted 2 years prior, Rex Grossman. He was out the first year, so we didnt know what we had in him, but most of us (and the Bears Front Office) still believed Rex was capable of being our franchise QB (at the time), so we didnt NEED another QB like Rodgers. Plus, it was impossible to tell whether or not Rodgers would be a good NFL QB or not.

2.Thomas Jones was on the downside of his career, so it was expected that we would draft his replacement, and Cedric came highly touted out of Texas. Won the Doak Campbell Award for best RB that year (04), and finished second to only Ricky Williams in Texas' history for rushing yards. So, drafting Cedric was a smart move at the time. We used a high pick to acquire a RB replacement for TJ.

3.Unfortunately, Cedric had an attitude problem, and TJ was going to fight for his starting job instead of roll over and let a rookie steal it from him. They ended up on opposite trajectories, but in the end, they both ended up putting up identical YPC and TD numbers in the season they basically split carries.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    LOL. Good point.
  18. kdbrich

kdbrich Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I firmly believe that with our coaching staff the past several years if it had been Rodgers instead of Benson, we'd be asking why Rodgers?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    The new coaches philosophy is completely opposite in every aspect. So he will be pushing for his players respect themselves, teammates and the game. Your philosophy may work for individual sports or sports with lower team involvement numbers (basketball). Football team has a sense of trust built into them that best works when you have cohesively functional family. True you can have success in dysfunctional family but your odds of a consistent statistical success is going to come from the family that is well in sync together. Sure you can have goofballs but how many have had consistent success in the NFL on SB teams?
  20. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    You are the one that brought up "the big three RB" earlier in the thread, so that's why I'm talking about Ronnie Brown. If only Miami had fallen for the Cedric Benson workhorse back hype machine. Ronnie Brown was a true #1 back for multiple seasons, and he was the focal point of a new offensive scheme that was unstoppable for a few years, the Wildcat. Ronnie Brown has thrown touchdowns. The entire offense ran through Brown. Benson has never known enough about football to be trusted to block on passing downs.
    Benson never directly insulted Jones, because if he did Jones would have kicked his ass. No, all his comments were of the "I think I am motivating Thomes Jones to play better" when reporters asked him why he wasn't starting yet, to which TJ replied to the same reporters the next day "I provide my own motivation. Benson can go fuck himself". I added that last part.

Benson had the talent level of a second round pick, but because of the draft hype machine, he was thought to be better than he truly was. But if he produced, yeah, no one would have cared. but he didn't have the talent. He was a lazy one dimensional back who couldn't block or catch a ball.