Carey a Great Fit as Forte's Backup?...................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Lefkoe and Simms do a little analysis with a video accompaniment about how they see Ka'Deen Carey as a fit for the Bears #2 RB. Once again the video will not embed so all I can provide it the link to it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/..._medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=chicago-bears

The Chicago Bears selected Ka'Deem Carey with the 117th overall pick of the 2014 NFL draft.
    What skills did Carey show in college that are perfect for the Bears offense? How will Chicago deploy him in its scheme?

Watch as Adam Lefkoe and Bleacher Report NFL Analyst Chris Simms discuss Carey's fit with Chicago in the video above.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Let me say that I'm really not anymore impressed with Chris Simms analytical skills than I was his QB skills but the videos do reveal some things about the way Carey runs and how he differs from Forte.

He may not have much top end speed but with his shorter strides and quick feet he gets up to speed very quickly and because of his more compact running style he moves well in tight spaces. He darts through holes very quickly looking to head up field. Forte is more of a long strider who needs some room to maneuver for his game to work as well. Carey height may also be a bit of an advantage allowing him to stay lower and harder to target behind a taller OL.

In the NFL this may or may not make a difference but Carey seems to be the kind or back who seldom loses yardage because he's almost always moving North and very seldom East or West.
  3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Yeah Soul, I seen that earlier today. I really like the kid & was very happy when we got him in the 4th rd. He doesn't have great speed but he can run ya over or make you miss & he's a good receiver. His lack of speed makes his YPC (5.4) even more impressive. Like they said in the video we can run the exact same offense when he gives Forte a rest.
  4. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +388 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    525ß
    Lets see how he performs first . I remember when Darnell Autry was drafted by the Bears after a great career at Northwestern . Kid had good feet and always seemed like he was about to break a big run , but always got caught at that moment when 1 more step would have set him free . Never had that little extra burst that would have made him stick . Really frustrating to watch .
    • Like Like x 2
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Wow, there's a name from the past, but now that you brought him back to the front of my mind, you are absolutely right.

There is just no way to know. I'm just as excited about this kid as I am the rest of the rookies, but you just don't know with Running Backs. In addition to Autry, you can bring up Bennet who was a real let down, you can bring up Forte who could have been a first rounder for the production he's given us. I think 1/10 of a second is over rated for a RB and we could have gotten a bargain for this kid were we got him. Lets face it, a burner in the backfield is nice, but I would rather have quickness over pure speed. Our beloved Walter was a perfect example of that thought process.
  6. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I have been a Carey fan for years having watched him at UA. I really wanted the Bears to draft him and I am happy they did.

Of course only time will tell if he has the stuff to play in the NFL. There have been plenty of highly touted backs that turned out to be duds. But I have always liked the way he makes every yard count, always falls forward and gets "sneaky" open as a receiver.

Can he block? We will find out. Can he take the pounding? We will find out. I like to think he is a good fit as a option to Forte and hope we will be cheering fro him for a long time.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'd almost forgotten about Autry and his near misses. It's tough to tell just watching Carey's college stuff because I'm not sure how the reactions times of the OL and LBs he faced compares with the NFL but he's very quick to the hole and his change of direction skills are terrific. Keeps his balance well too.

They sure aren't gonna just hand him the job as long as Ford and Lynch are there to keep the pressure up. I just like the fact that he a one cut guy whose always moving North. I hate RBs who dance looking to break away and then get nailed for losses. He doesn't appear to be that type.
  8. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I have pretty high hopes for Carey. Hence, my sig. :woot:
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 3
  9. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    I hope Carey succeeds. Beyond the #2 spot though, I'd really like to see Senorise Perry, the UFDA out of Louisville get that #3 spot. Watching his highlight reel, he has good vision, waits on his blockers, doesn't shy from contact, and doesn't go down easy. I know that Lynch is the hometown favorite, but Perry sure looks like he belongs. Plus, he played ST's at Louisville, which will benefit the Bears ST.

Forte / Carey / Perry would be my vote! :18 1 205:
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Speed is great to see in a RB, but it's not the only thing that counts, I like the way this kid can shift to avoid a tackle. One big difference between what little I have seen of Carey is that Forte runs to where the hole is suppose to be in the line and this kid seems to ran where the hole really is in the line. Might only be the highlights but I hope it's the way he runs.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,773ß
    As long as it's backup and not future starter instead of Forte I'm good.
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
  13. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Throw in Perry at #3, & they'll be set.

14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well in this case I'd call that an "expert" observation. :lol 027:

Yep, you see much the same as what I see. Carey as a far more compact running style, a shorter stride, and very quick feet. To me he's a like a "water bug" type runner who can zip from spot to spot a little easier in order to adjust to where the "daylight" is and once he finds it he just accelerates through the hole. Even when he break into the open his moves tend to keep him moving forward, not sideways.

Forte reminds me a little more of Gale Sayers. He's like a deer or an antelope who needs a little more wide open space to work his game and make people miss. Forte is another one of those guys who seems to have incredible balance at full speed and that ability to change direction without breaking stride but he's more of a guy who "flows" through a defense like many taller RBs I've seen over the years. He doesn't seem to have really quick feet either which is why I think he has some trouble adjusting to inside runs if the hole isn't where he expects it to be.

You'd know far more about this than I would JJ but it just the impression I've gotten from watching Forte run over the year. I don't think Carey will break many long runs in the NFL compared to what Forte is capable of but he looks to me like a back who will always get you a few yards every time he touches the ball just because he's always looking to move forward somehow.
  15. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    With Forte, he needs blockers. He doesn't wiggle or try to have quick feet. If there's a hole, he will hit it.

Carey is one of those guys who will find the hole (there's always a hole, can the RB find it quick enough), and just jump in it. You can see where he dances a little bit to find what is open, then he hits it quick!

By the time Carey is in the hole, he's hitting the gas. He also isn't just north and south. He will alter his path to make tacklers miss.

I agree, Forte is best in the open, which I think makes him a great WR out of the backfield.

I am curious to see if Carey can maintain his style with success in the NFL. To me, he's like Hester. He can dance his way to the open field. Quick feet. He also seems to keep his balance.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Nice post Ski! Yeah this highlight vid is showing what I was just talking about really well. He's rarely moving laterally and even when he does to shake a tackler his next move is almost always upfield again. It's like he knows he doesn't have the stride or flat out speed to out race defenders to the edge so once he sets them up to protect against that he instinctively turns back inside of them and heads North again. He's a between the tackles runner virtually 100% of the time.

Not a huge amount of raw power but he doesn't slow down or turn his back before contact either. He keeps churning forward and can break arm tackles. With his size and his quick acceleration he doesn't need a huge hole either or one that stays open for long. If the OL can open some daylight he can get through it before the LB or Safety can get there to close the gap. He's got great vision and timing and he moves really well in tight spaces behind his line.

If we can run block well enough to open up a small gap for him he'll gain positive yardage.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    True but what I meant is that once he puts one move or shifts to a lateral line as soon as he's made the guy miss he's immediately looking to head upfield again. He's always willing to trade off a shot at getting to the edge and risking not making it for the straighter path to the goal line and another five or ten yards instead. He isn't afraid to stay in traffic because he's good at making at least one guy miss. Forte usually looks to get out of traffic and he'll head for the corner because he has the speed to do it.
  18. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    We'er saying the same thing.

I think Forte is a more north and south runner.

Carey is lateral, but becomes a rocket once he sees the hole. If he has to fend off a tackler, he becomes lateral again.

I honestly would like to see him catch some passes. After seeing some of him, I can see him as Forte's replacement.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Actually I think we're seeing it differently LOL, but that's why we each have our own set of eyes.

When I say "lateral" I mean the way Hester would some times try to stretch the field laterally looking to get to the edge and then beat tacklers up the sideline with his speed. I didn't mean just a few steps of lateral shift to make a guy miss. I think we're just defining it differently.

What I meant with Carey is that right after he makes a lateral shift he immediately turns back upfield. He doesn't keep extending himself towards the edge trading vertical yardage for horizontal space. He wants to go back to moving North as rapidly as he can.

Forte actually has the speed to string those lateral moves together and he has the speed to get to the edge or use a diagonal path through traffic. Forte reminds me more of Sayers because he's pretty graceful when he's in the open field and once he moving at full speed he can still make his cuts without slowing down like Sayers could do.

Like I said. I think we just define what we see differently. To me Forte in more like a gazelle whereas Carey is more like a jack rabbit with short quick moves.
  20. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    Yeah, for some reason I was using lateral as north and south.

I'm just being dumb today. I know what lateral is, I just said the wrong word.

Thats what I get for reading a lot, trying to post, and fighting the sandman all at the same time! :D