Carey a Great Fit as Forte's Backup?...................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,878ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    As long as it's backup and not future starter instead of Forte I'm good.

2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  3. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Throw in Perry at #3, & they'll be set.

4. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,110ß
    Well in this case I'd call that an "expert" observation. :lol 027:

Yep, you see much the same as what I see. Carey as a far more compact running style, a shorter stride, and very quick feet. To me he's a like a "water bug" type runner who can zip from spot to spot a little easier in order to adjust to where the "daylight" is and once he finds it he just accelerates through the hole. Even when he break into the open his moves tend to keep him moving forward, not sideways.

Forte reminds me a little more of Gale Sayers. He's like a deer or an antelope who needs a little more wide open space to work his game and make people miss. Forte is another one of those guys who seems to have incredible balance at full speed and that ability to change direction without breaking stride but he's more of a guy who "flows" through a defense like many taller RBs I've seen over the years. He doesn't seem to have really quick feet either which is why I think he has some trouble adjusting to inside runs if the hole isn't where he expects it to be.

You'd know far more about this than I would JJ but it just the impression I've gotten from watching Forte run over the year. I don't think Carey will break many long runs in the NFL compared to what Forte is capable of but he looks to me like a back who will always get you a few yards every time he touches the ball just because he's always looking to move forward somehow.

5. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    With Forte, he needs blockers. He doesn't wiggle or try to have quick feet. If there's a hole, he will hit it.

Carey is one of those guys who will find the hole (there's always a hole, can the RB find it quick enough), and just jump in it. You can see where he dances a little bit to find what is open, then he hits it quick!

By the time Carey is in the hole, he's hitting the gas. He also isn't just north and south. He will alter his path to make tacklers miss.

I agree, Forte is best in the open, which I think makes him a great WR out of the backfield.

I am curious to see if Carey can maintain his style with success in the NFL. To me, he's like Hester. He can dance his way to the open field. Quick feet. He also seems to keep his balance.

• Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,110ß
    Nice post Ski! Yeah this highlight vid is showing what I was just talking about really well. He's rarely moving laterally and even when he does to shake a tackler his next move is almost always upfield again. It's like he knows he doesn't have the stride or flat out speed to out race defenders to the edge so once he sets them up to protect against that he instinctively turns back inside of them and heads North again. He's a between the tackles runner virtually 100% of the time.

Not a huge amount of raw power but he doesn't slow down or turn his back before contact either. He keeps churning forward and can break arm tackles. With his size and his quick acceleration he doesn't need a huge hole either or one that stays open for long. If the OL can open some daylight he can get through it before the LB or Safety can get there to close the gap. He's got great vision and timing and he moves really well in tight spaces behind his line.

If we can run block well enough to open up a small gap for him he'll gain positive yardage.

7. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,110ß
    True but what I meant is that once he puts one move or shifts to a lateral line as soon as he's made the guy miss he's immediately looking to head upfield again. He's always willing to trade off a shot at getting to the edge and risking not making it for the straighter path to the goal line and another five or ten yards instead. He isn't afraid to stay in traffic because he's good at making at least one guy miss. Forte usually looks to get out of traffic and he'll head for the corner because he has the speed to do it.

8. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    We'er saying the same thing.

I think Forte is a more north and south runner.

Carey is lateral, but becomes a rocket once he sees the hole. If he has to fend off a tackler, he becomes lateral again.

I honestly would like to see him catch some passes. After seeing some of him, I can see him as Forte's replacement.

9. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,110ß
    Actually I think we're seeing it differently LOL, but that's why we each have our own set of eyes.

When I say "lateral" I mean the way Hester would some times try to stretch the field laterally looking to get to the edge and then beat tacklers up the sideline with his speed. I didn't mean just a few steps of lateral shift to make a guy miss. I think we're just defining it differently.

What I meant with Carey is that right after he makes a lateral shift he immediately turns back upfield. He doesn't keep extending himself towards the edge trading vertical yardage for horizontal space. He wants to go back to moving North as rapidly as he can.

Forte actually has the speed to string those lateral moves together and he has the speed to get to the edge or use a diagonal path through traffic. Forte reminds me more of Sayers because he's pretty graceful when he's in the open field and once he moving at full speed he can still make his cuts without slowing down like Sayers could do.

Like I said. I think we just define what we see differently. To me Forte in more like a gazelle whereas Carey is more like a jack rabbit with short quick moves.

10. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    Yeah, for some reason I was using lateral as north and south.

I'm just being dumb today. I know what lateral is, I just said the wrong word.

Thats what I get for reading a lot, trying to post, and fighting the sandman all at the same time! :D

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1