Carey a Great Fit as Forte's Backup?...................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Ski I get what you're saying about Forte and you aren't wrong. Those extractions from his stats tend to support your thoughts and observations but let me add this. If you were to go back about 50 years and do the exact same analysis of Gale Sayers runs you'd come up with a very similar pattern. That's another reason why I've compared Forte far more to him than to say Walter Payton as far as their running style and how they produce yardage.

Sayers could get bottled up all game long much like that too but then all of a sudden he's breaking a 40 or 50 or 60 yard TD run or he's catching a screen or a swing pass and takes that to the house. Forte is probably more dangerous catching a pass in open space than he is running the ball. He needs room to work his game and if the OL isn't getting him that then he gets stymied. Sayers wasn't at his best in heavy traffic either but when the gave him space it was all over.

I think Ka'Deem Carey is far more a Walter Payton style RB who, like Walter, can be depended on to get you some positive yardage almost every time you hand him the ball. I can recall a lot of 3rd down and 3 or 3rd down and 4 plays where we handed off to Walter and he got the 1st down just because of the way he ran. His goal was always to gain yards not break the big long run. He really didn't have the long speed to do that anyway. He'd usually get caught before he could take it all the way.

If he gets his game on completely Carey should be a very nice compliment to Forte now and there's nothing that says he couldn't replace him as the #1 RB eventually but I think right now Trestman looks at Forte's big play potential as something he wants out there as much as possible. Once we cross midfield Forte is always a threat to score on a long run or a pass play. I don't believe Carey has that kind of potential. Not in the NFL. JMHO :cheers:
  2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    I'll have to take your word on Gale Sayers.. lol

No matter what I think we are in a good position if Forte goes down, or needs a break.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Well anyway that's what my grandfather told me. :liar: :bah:
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    FUCK IT ... GO VERTICAL.

JCut is what ? A QB with maybe the BEST arm in the League?

We have the sons of bitches for him at WIDE RECEIVER,

now put up or shut up.

Running Backs spell relief ... its 2014 ... ITS VERTICAL!

HOWEVER ... just to give you people a taste of the past ...

do you know who Lacy is ? We are going to outdo that punk.

Our Running BACKS ... thats RUNNING BACKS ...

are the KEY to jacking up peoples minds.

But wait theres more ! TIGHT ENDS !

Yet another KEY to putting opposing teams off balance.

The TRIAD of OFFENSE ... on the receiving end ...

doesent matter about the QB anymore ... the balls gone out of his hands,

WHOS GETTING THE BALL ? WR? RB? TE?

Thats all that counts for SCORES !

Anything else is worthless untill the all uncommon QB sneak ...
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  5. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    I know a little about RBs and for me Forte isn't anything special. As any overall RB his great.

His numbers are misleading because of his long runs.

But many times you will see him run to the line and if there isn't a hole for him to run into, he seems to think it will materialize because there is suppose to be a hole for him to run into. Some of his best runs last year were when there was no hole and he moved to the outside, but Forte problem is he just doesn't do this a often as he should, which leads to no gain or a lose of yardage.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,501ß
    JJ please enlighten us on how a guy that garnered nearly 2k yards, and 2nd most rushing yards last year isn't anything special? I already removed the "longest run" scenerio from top RB last year, and Forte's stats aren't off from what happens to them.

I'm hardly going to say he's a future HoF'r, he's not, but Forte has been a lynch pen to the Bears O since he got here, the guy other teams are looking to stop first, imo that at least puts him at the "something special" level.
  7. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Oh I think he will be a HoF also, but IMO a really special RB is one that can seek out the holes in the line, not except them to be there for him. I have seen way too many times when we have only needed a yard or two Forte will run right into the line where there is no hole to run through. In other words he runs the play as it is called. Like I said and I guess I should have used the word "really" special RB can see there is no hole and will seek out what ever lane he can find to run through.

Maybe I am a little more critical of RBs then most. But any RB the Bears have, that is also a sure handed receiver should be putting up big number especially now with the WCO we use and the fact that not only do we have two great WR but they are complemented by a very good TE and an excellent receiving RB. Even before because he was our best reciever when Lovie and all the so called OC we had were ruining the Bears Offense. If Forte wasn't such a great receiver I don't think he would be able to put up the running yards he does. When Forte is in the back field teams don't have to worry just about stopping him when he get the ball as a RB, they have also worry about when Forte comes out of the back field as a reciever. So they can't key on him as just a RB, who is going to pound the ground.

If teams only had to worry about Forte the RB then I don't feel he could put up the yardage he does on the ground, it's him ability as a reciever that allows him to get the yardage on the ground and not the other way around.

And before someone out there thinks I am a Forte hater, which I am not, IMO Forte is by far one of the best if not the best overall RB in the NFL today. He is like double edge sword, he can get you on the ground because he can get you through the air.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,501ß
    I don't think you are hating on him, I just took exception w/the statement he's nothing special. He is, not a HoF'r, but few are, but he is special.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    In an era of pass happy stats to WR's and TE's ...

the defense will give up the 4 yard run to RB's.

Until that starts to add up and by then its too late in the game to catch up with what you overlooked.

Seattles defense wont overlook that ... but 31 other teams will.

Including us.