Carimi Cut

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Feb 10, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,750 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    http://www.profootballrumors.com/buccaneers-cut-rodgers-hill-carimi-landri/

Remember how everyone was sayint it was a mistake to cut him and that TB got a steal? ya......2nd team, he's still not a T, maybe he'll wise up and try and play G for a team now, like the Bears wanted him to.

The Buccaneers have officially released four players from their roster, reports Scott Smith of Buccaneers.com (via Twitter). According to Smith, the club has cut quarterback Jordan Rodgers, running back Michael Hill, offensive tackle Gabe Carimi, and defensive tackle Derek Landri.
    Carimi and Landri each had one year remaining on their respective deals, and had been set to hit unrestricted free agency in 2015. Rodgers and Hill would have been ticketed for 2016 free agency, though neither would’ve been fully unrestricted by that point. While Rodgers and Hill were on minimum-salary contracts, Carimi and Landri had been set to earn about $1.34MM and $1.5MM respectively, so Tampa Bay will save a little cap room by cutting them. None of the four players will represent any dead money for 2014.
    While Rodgers didn’t play for the Bucs in 2013 and Hill earned just nine carries in limited action, Carimi and Landri both started games for the club. However, neither player was expected to have a significant role with the team going forward.
    Rodgers is the brother of Packers star Aaron Rodgers, while Carimi was a former first-round pick by the Bears.
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    450ß
    Glad to see Emery knows things we don't.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Next thing you know ol' Webb will be on the chopping block. :eek:
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    296ß
    Ahhh the good ol' days , when BEARS drafted players in the first and ditched em a few years later. Kinda miss those days , but then again I miss having syphillis.

Now we have these dreadful first rounders making the PRO-BOWL. What happened to BEARS tradition ?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +553 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    224ß
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    296ß
    Oh do you mean that Chris Williams ? Not the one that is on the roster right now ?

Chris Williams WR New Mexico State #82. Look it up.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    Wow, what a fall. I'm not sure if he was a bad pick because he had an early injury he never recovered from or he just was just a bust in the making from the beginning anyway. Maybe just maybe he can become a G somewhere.

Before we are tempted to snicker at 'another failed Angelo pick', remember that Green Bay drafted another "LT" in the first that year (Derek Sherrod) a few spots past us that has also completely flopped.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    296ß
    Well thats good news to know that we failed earlier in the draft pick then the Packers.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Ironic that the Head Coach of the team that drafted him is now the Head Coach of the team that cut him.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,750 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    lol 4da, I hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if Carimi, upon hearing the Lovie hiring, had an thank God I'm safe, or Oh crap I'm about to be looking for another team moment. Still think Gabe could have been a solid G, but he insisted he was a T, and it's costing him.
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +349 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Carimi was being tried at backup left guard for Tampa after Nicks got banged up at the beginning of the season, but he couldn't make it happen. It looks like he might never have the proper leg strength to drive block as a guard because of that injury.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Yea, I really and truly believe its the injury that killed this kid. He had the same (or similar) injury in college and he was able to overcome it, but two injuries to the same knee is pretty devastating if the injuries are bad enough. Maybe he never would have been "great", but I'm confident he could have at least been serviceable. With that said, it's a moot point, if ya can't get the job done, weather it's injury or talent, ya gotta move on. No one ever said life was fair, but at least he got bigger money than most average folks do before moving on to something else, plus he got a free education, which is a helluva lot more than most people get. Sorry Gabe.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +349 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Kid had four surgeries in one offseason, then Tice has the brilliant idea of starting him at RT when he's got no strength in his legs because he hadn't been able to lift. He's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder regarding how he was treated, but really, I don't think he was ever coming back at the level he would need to be.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    Yeah, it's a shame. I also believe if he hadn't had that 2nd dislocation injury early in his career he would have been a solid OL. Not to be.

I'm glad Emery was able to get a 6th rounder for him afterwards. That's looking pretty good all things considered for a guy who no longer is worth a camp invite apparently.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Makes me wonder more if Lovie was forced to deal with crappy players. Yeah, he wanted Archuletta on our team (so we think), BUT was he the idiot who pulled the trade on him, taking his contract on, when the skins were going to release him anyway?

Also, maybe I'm the only one, but I was more disappointed in Webb being cut than Carimi, because HE HAD A WORSE SEASON THAN WEBB. He gave up 5 sacks in one game, and his knee was never right.
  16. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +349 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    I've read that because of the SB run, Lovie was given a huge say in pro personnel decisions and the 2007 draft by Angelo. That was one of the worst drafts we have had in recent memory with some wild reaches early in Bazuin and Okwo, and Arch was definitely one of Lovie's guys.

I think Lovie had a bigger role in the personnel on the roster, and Greg Gabreil and Bobby DePaul took the fall in 2010 for Angelo and Lovie.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    495ß
    And it sounds like Tampa Bay is making the same mistake by giving Lovie final say on all player personnel acquisitions. Coach input is fine. But making Lovie Smith the personnel guy is not good for the team OR for that matter Lovie.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I've not only read the same thing, but I recall several discussions on The Score when it happened. I also recall thinking that was a GOOD thing, but I was wrong.
  19. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    It will be interesting to see what Smith does in Tampa. Has he learned his lessons? Will Tampa become another dominant Defensive team and a perennial contender as many of Lovie's loyalists suggest, or will those that have always professed his mediocrity be proven right? Time will tell.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Okay, I forgot about that, so you are right. Oh well, not our problem anymore, lol
    • Like Like x 1