Cause for Concern with the Trestman system?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Aug 13, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    @thekapman reporting sources on #Trestman system says #Bears "can't pick up system and don't like system"

I know Kaplan is a tool, but if this has any credibility, are you concerned?
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    If a bunch of Canucks could pick it up and win a couple of Championships with it, then these players have no reason to complain. If they cant? Time to find some new players who will.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,297ß
    I am concerned if it has any credibility. Why can't a bunch of guys in the NFL pick up his system? They were able to do it under Trestman in the CFL. Not saying the NFL is in another league (okay, so that was kinda fun...) but it certainly is no worse. Can Lovie's cast-offs be that much worse than what Trestman had in Montreal. If there is any truth to this, it has to be more in regards to Trestman (in the sense that he is not Lovie) than having any real merit. We have some pretty smart guys and it's not like this is the first time Trestman is trying to teach the system, so he knows it and has proven he can teach it.

Not sure what to make of this, but it actually would not surprise me just because of the lingering love for Lovie
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Probably has more to do with accepting change then anything. Unless the players are whining about the fact they are idiots, if so...find some players who arent.

In any case, i think they will do just fine as they get more used to it. It will take a few weeks of the regular season before it starts coming together, but they will grasp it eventually. If not? Then Emery will most certainly find players in the draft so Trestman can shape and teach them the system from day 1.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    correct. Remember, most of the players on the Bears are currently in their contract year
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,406 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    I'll take Hoge's response:

Adam Hoge on 670 talking. Said the biggest new Bear is Trestman. Hoge said that the biggest thing is that Trestman can coach. At times last year there were issues w/calls getting in, and confusion about the call, and no issues so far like that w/Trestman. It seems that Trestman has a plan. He doesn't appeared to be overmatched, everyone seems on board and buying in. Trestman does spend time w/D as well as O, but 90% of D is all Tucker.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,561 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    After seeing 3 1/2 (Tice basically ran a *****er version of Martz') systems fail under Lovie Smith because of bad coaching and low quality players, I'm siding with the coaches, if their system actually becomes an issue to the players. I don't buy that any of the players are legitimately upset, but saying that were true, we finally have a proven coaching staff, and none of the offensive players have any room for complaints, lest Trestman shows a baffling inability to change scheme mid-game.
  8. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,850 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    We've been reading pretty much everywhere else that the players ARE buying into the system (D isn't that different to begin with, so I assume we are talking about offense?)... so... enter Kaplan with "sources" saying the team can't pick it up? I would buy that a few players aren't buying into it... but to just hashtag the whole #Bears team... I don't buy it... anyways...

I mean, we know this dude's attitude... I think we can all agree that Cutler isn't the type of dude that is going to try and sell something to the media like this unless he means it... if Cutler wasn't buying in, we'd have either heard about it, or he wouldn't say shit and just mope.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Key words though Tommy.

Buy in and pick it up.

They may buy into and believe in the idea of the offense, but picking it up and understanding it is something different
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,406 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    "can't pick up system and don't like system"

Benj, if they don't like they system they are not going to buy into the system. Kaplan is talking out of his arse
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    But your quote said not picking it up and "not buying into it". That's wholly different than just struggling initially with an understanding of it. So I'm not buying into what was quoted.

It's gonna take some time to learn it and execute it and we should all be very aware of that by now. Cutler said as much weeks ago. It's a from of a WCO offense that's very different from the Air Coryell hybrid they ran under Martz and whatever that abortion was Tice had them playing last year. What everyone, including the scribes and talking heads need to do is watch and listen.

Listen to what Trestman is saying and telling his guys about playing smart and not giving up the football. Watch how well the execute that because that will be the substance of this offense year one. The whole thing won't be in place and digested well enough to play it all right away so Trestman will play the percentages and keep it low risk. The guys who can't execute it that way will be gone. It isn't about whether they buy into it or not it's all about whether they can play it the way he wants it played.

Trestman isn't going anywhere but quite a few players may be if they don't play precision football or allow turnovers.
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,561 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß

Glad to see we're in agreement on the offense taking a while to learn. Soul, tell me if this situation reminds me of Ditka's speech to the team in which he said something along the lines of "Not all of you are going to make the team, but those of you that will, give me three years, and if you walk with me, we'll get to the dance."

When many players, including the quarterback aren't guaranteed anything beyond this year, it's obvious, to me anyway, that the same mentality Ditka brought to HH back in '82 is present here with Trestman and Emery.
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    David Kaplan is a columnist - and not a very good one. By definition, his job is filling space with words in a column in order to provoke as big a reaction as possible. He's also a Cubs fan, so there's that to consider. :p
    • Like Like x 1
  14. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    They suck. Oh also his fans are dumb.
  15. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,637 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Here's a novel idea....

Let's see what happens when the game matters.

I'm sorry guys, but I have to laugh. Every off-season, I see the doom/gloom about the changes without any idea if it works in a real game situation.

Now... I KNOW you guys have reasons to doubt every change. You've certainly seen more failures than successes, but this isn't just a coach here, a player there. This is the HC, and with that... the philosophy of how to play HIS game. You won't be able to judge jack squat until about half way thru the seasons when all the bugs get ironed out.
    • Like Like x 5
  16. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    The CFL'ers are hungry, still trying to make the NFL and will do what they must do. It seems some NFL'ers are spoiled. You have a chance to change the game here under trestman and win some cups.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well that explains it right there. So he's an optimist on the surface but half realist and half pessimist under his skin. He not only doesn't see any glass as being half full, he doesn't even know where to find the water pitcher. :D

Is Kaplan the bald guy who hosts that show where he interviews various sportswriters and a whole lot of nobody's I never even heard of? If that's' him then he's just another dikhead who needs to act like he might actually know something we don't when he really knows nothing at all. He's one of those guys with an MSU degree in football. "Makes Shit Up". :rolleyes:

Come to think of it we have a recent addition to our fair board here who acts a lot like Kaplan. They must have gone to the same school. LOL
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I hadn't thought of it that way before Henry but it's a good observation. Ditka was a huge departure from the type of coaches the Bears had over the previous decade and those guys weren't winning any championships either. So along comes Trestman and you couldn't find a guy whose more an opposite of Lovie Smith anywhere.

Trestman is far more about telling you what he's gonna do where Lovie was all about what he wasn't gonna do. How many "(fill in the blank) is still our (fill in the blank) and we'll go from there" did we hear in his 9 years around here? I can even buy into Trestman's "praise in public and criticize in private" approach to things like the deal with Webb. That actually was one of Lovie's strong points and he got a lot of respect from his players for it so it looks like Trestman is smart enough to preserve those styles and attitudes from the former staff that benefit the team and only discard those that don't.

I thought about the Webb deal a little more last night and I figured this was his way of motivating him without directly embarrassing him. It keeps the resentment factor low and gives him a chance to turn his game around, which I doubt will happen, but if it does there's no stain for anyone to remove. And if he doesn't Webb suffers the ultimate embarrassment and gets cut. So it works this way as well as the other and just because he doesn't give the reason for the demotion we'd all like to hear that doesn't change the facts. We don't need to see the whole suit to know that it's plaid. A small swatch of the material is all that's necessary.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Yup, that's the guy; assuming you are referring to the show "Chicago Tribune Live" on Comcast. This really doesn't surprise me at all as he is an arrogant, opinionated, (and often wrong) jerk. I used to like the show because he does have local guests to give an insiders take on local sports teams, but I just can't stand to watch (or listen) to Kaplan's self-righteous attitude anymore.

He is primarily a Basketball (used to coach at NIU) and Baseball guy and his lack of football intellect often shines through. To make anything more out of this comment from him is believe in Santa Claus.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. gramster10

gramster10 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOOKING AT THE STATS OF THE GAME DA BEARS DID GREAT AGAINST A ESTABLISHED TEAM // SEEMS LIKE SOMEONE GRASPED A LITTLE//HECK A COUPLE OF CATCHES THE TD OR INTERCEPTION DA BEARS COULD HAVE WON // THE SACK LOSS AVERAGE AND RED ZONE AVERAGE ARE STILL CONCERNS BUT JUST ONE GAME// I DISAGREE WITH PHIL ON QB BACKUP JOSH IS A HIGH SCHOOL COACH AND HAS TROUBLE MOVING THE OFFENSE EITHER USE THE KID OR GET ANOTHER OFF WAIVERS