Cavallari: She and Cutler not vaccinating their kids

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 19, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Video: Cutlers forego vaccinations

By Julie Deardorff, Tribune reporter

4:26 pm, March 14, 2014
    Experts warned against the dangers of following celebrity advice after reality star Kristin Cavallari acknowledged Thursday that she and husband Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler decided not to vaccinate their children.

When directly asked whether she was opposed to vaccines during an appearance on the Fox Business Network program, The Independents, Cavallari said, “we don’t vaccinate.” The reason? “I’ve read too many books about autism and the studies,” she said.

But some wondered what Cavallari had been reading. The supposed association between childhood shots and autism has been debunked by scientific studies involving millions of children and a lack of evidence for it.

“Any association between vaccines and autism has long been disproven,” said Dr. Kenneth Alexander, chief of the section of Pediatric Infectious Diseases at the University of Chicago. “Her words are dangerous, will result in the under-immunization of children, and an increase in morbidity and mortality due to vaccine preventable diseases.”

Most pediatricians strongly advocate vaccination because it can save lives. A cluster of unvaccinated children, meanwhile, can put even vaccinated children at risk. Respected medical organizations, including the World Health Organization, the National Institutes of Health and the American Academy of Pediatrics, state there is no evidence of a link and recommend all children receive vaccinations.

Cavallari, pregnant with the Cutler’s second son, went on to explain, “Well, there is a pediatric group called Homestead, Homestead or Homefirst, now I have pregnancy brain I got them confused — they’ve never vaccinated any of their children, and they haven’t had one case of autism. And now one in 88 boys is autistic, which is a really scary statistic.”

The show host, former MTV VJ Kennedy, looked skeptical. “Well, my mom vaccinated us and she doesn’t have any cases of autism either,” she said.

To which Cavallari replied, “The vaccinations have changed over the years, there’s more mercury and other…” she trailed off.

Yes, the vaccines have changed. As a precaution, by 2001, the mercury-based preservative thimerosal was removed from most vaccines for children under age 6 — with the exception of the influenza vaccine.

Homefirst Health Services, meanwhile — if that’s what Cavallari meant — is a Rolling Meadows-based pediatrics practice that embraces home births and shuns vaccines. Dr. Mayer Eisenstein and his practice were the subject of a 2009 Chicago Tribune investigation that shed light on the use of potentially dangerous alternative autism treatments. On the Homefirst website, Eisenstein maintains that “personal religious convictions, not scientific studies, are the main reasons, upon which to base your vaccination decision.”

Alexander said Cavallari’s comments illustrate the problems with celebrity spokespeople, namely that they often have their facts wrong. “Celebrity status does not indicate scientific expertise,” he said.

The Tribune was not able to reach Cavallari.
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Idiots
    • Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    is this football related? if not please move it somewhere else.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooont care - Cutty
    • Like Like x 1
  5. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    This is exactly what I thought Cutler was thinking when I saw that picture too.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    It's Bears related
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    No it's not, it's about Kristin and Cutler's life outside of HH, and how they choose to handle their family.

ie not bears related, not football related, does not belong here.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    I counter with people posting anything Ditka says or does in here to invalidate your comment.

Even when it is not Bears related
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Or how about when his wife was arrested.... That was posted in here as well by someone
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    when's the last time anything Ditka did or said anything not Bears related? I cannot remember seeing it.

As for someones wife getting arrested that should have been moved, if something the Bears did off the field would/could effect his ability to be on the field then it matters and should be posted. This is a TBS style thread that's going to either get buried(hopefully) or turn into a 10 page flame war, over nothing that is going on w/the Bears.
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    When he fell asleep on the set..... That story was posted here.

When Hapton talked about Michael Sam... You guessed it. Here.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    When He fell asleep on a NFL PRE GAME SET; it was *gasp* posted in the football section?
    When Hampton talked about SAM, a potential FOOTBALL prospect it was *gasp* posted here?

Again this has nothing to do w/Football.

btw for a minute I was thinking you were talking about Cutler falling asleep on set in that picture b/c even he doesn't care.
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    But they are NOT BEARS related
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Nor is this, and therefore should be moved.

If you want to talk about the past failures of the mod's to effectively do their jobs I also think that's something that should be taken off board.
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    I'm not talking past failures. I am talking about continuing constant trends.

If you want more examples of stuff that gets posted here that shouldn't, there are plenty of current examples.

If there is something Bears related, it gets posted in the Bears forum.

Look at Melton. Current Bear, out for the year so nothing he can really do to be worthy of this forum right?

Got into a fight posted here. Not really Bears related since it was off the field, but because he is a current Bear news he made off the field was posted here.

Cutler not getting his kids vaccinated could lead to bad things for the team. He cools be a carrier of this shit, pass it on to his teammates getting them or their kids sick.

You want how it can affect the Bears, there you go
  16. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Eh, he is our QB, so even off-the-field news is still "Bears news." People have posted stuff about Tillman's charity and the struggles he went through dealing with his daughter's surgery, and posted it in the Bears forums as well.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Don't care for vaccines and honestly think America over vaccinates. Pump way to much shit into the youth.. Vaccines, hormones in the food, whatever.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Wow, ultimately Ric is right, but I don't see the big deal to get into a pissing match. I also believe its ignorant to avoid immunizations for your kids, but if they go to school in Illinois, they will have to at some point unless there is a religious or medical reason for it. I certainly immunized both of my kids, but this is America, and I think the emphasis to "make" people do something like this for the sake of Public Health is has been over played. Do I think it's reckless, yes; do I think it's one more thing that Jay Cutler should be dragged though he mud for, no.
  19. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +964 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Sorry, the reason this IS Bears related because if they are a current or legacy Bear, it gets posted in here.

On and off the field stuff gets posted in here. Just because it's personal doesn't make it NOT Bears related. Off the field antics affect the Bears whether we like it or not. So it will stay. Sorry, simply ignore it.

As for the topic, it's their call. Whether they chose to vaccinate or not, it's still a mostly free country.
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    :36_1_55[1]: