Cavanaugh Feels Cutler Has Made Incredible Progress......

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 20, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Trestman’s offense hopes to best last year’s success

BY MARK POTASH Staff Reporter June 17, 2014 9:48PM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Updated: June 17, 2014 10:34PM

Jay Cutler isn’t easily impressed. He doesn’t get carried away. The Bears’ offense took a quantum leap from 16th in the NFL in points to second in the first year of coach Marc Trestman’s offense. But Cutler isn’t about to set the bar too high too soon for 2014.

“We did OK last year for the first year [of Trestman’s offense],” Cutler said Tuesday at Halas Hall after the first day of the Bears’ mini-camp. “We have the same guys we had last year, which is always good. Talent-wise, it’s hard to top our O-line and some of the guys we have on the outside and Matt Forte, who is hugely underrated.

‘‘Talent-wise and being in the system two years and the way the guys work, all that adds up. Hopefully, we can stay healthy and see where this thing goes.”

Whether he likes it or not, Cutler is at the top of the list of players who need to stay healthy. He was injured twice last season — he missed one game with a torn groin muscle and four games with a high ankle sprain. He started 53 consecutive games in the NFL through 2009, his first year with the Bears. Since then, he has been injured seven times and missed 13 games the last four seasons.

“I was straight until I really got here for a while, and it was a hit parade back there,” Cutler said, referring to poor protection, including 52 sacks in 2010. “It takes its toll from time to time. With the offensive line we’ve got here, the guys are doing everything possible. Last year was last year — kind of two freak injuries. I don’t foresee that happening again.”

If Cutler and the rest of the offense can avoid injuries, the Bears figure to be improved in the second year of Trestman’s offense. They have a pretty solid foundation to build on. The Bears set seven franchise records on offense last year, including net passing yards (4,281), passing touchdowns (32) and passer rating (96.9).

“We weren’t sure what kind of team we were last year — what we did well, what guys felt comfortable doing,” Cutler said. “So looking at what plays we were successful with, some feedback from the players — what they liked, what they didn’t like and just taking a look at what the quarterback room was comfortable with on each play. The coaches have done an excellent job of combing through not only what we do, but everybody across the league and taking some stuff from other teams.”

It all starts with Cutler, whose 89.2 passer rating in 2013 was the highest of his eight-year NFL career.

“I’ve seen incredible progress,” quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh said. “When we got here last year and evaluated him, we had a good conversation about certain things we think every quarterback should do. To his credit, he’s taken every suggestion — everything from how he holds the ball to how he lines up in the gun pre-snap to how he drops back to his throwing base to his follow-up.

‘‘He’s embraced it, and he’s worked real hard at it. It’s night and day.”

Email: mpotash@suntimes.com
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I can't help but thinking that every bit of news we've gotten about Cutler has been a positive. This last from Matt Cavanaugh is probably the best yet. We've all noticed a maturing in in Jay's attitude and his mannerisms. Even the media can't find much if anything to pick on any longer.

One telling factor and a key to his success and the Bears success in general this year is the need for him to stay as healthy in Chicago as he was here in Denver and with the OL now repaired that seems a bit more likely. Between Tice's OL and Martz's 7 step drops we damn near got him killed a couple of years ago.

So the new deal has been signed, he has protection and he has some of the best offensive weapons in the NFL. He also has some of the best coaching he's ever been around. There are no more outs. No more reasons why it didn't work or why it shouldn't. Every player reaches a point in their career when the time is now and this is his.
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    I have supported Cutler throughout his time here. So many are down on him and he has received much discredit in the media for the Bears offensive problems since he arrived. I have been a steadfast supporter of his, pointing out a totally inept offensive line, a bad WR corp, and even worse coaching. Not only was the coaching bad, but the offense changed every damn year. Yet Cutler still received the lions share of the blame in the media.

Now, with all that said, our O-Line is repaired, we have an incredible WR corp, an offensive coaching staff that actually knows what they're doing and we're in the second year of said offense. So for all you Cutler haters out there that always claimed I (and a handful of others) were swinging from his sack, I'll make you a deal. If he sucks it up this year (not counting an injury tsunami on offense like we had on defense last year), I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong and you were right, but if he excels and ends up leading a top 5 offense again with stats as a top 10 QB, will you finally get off the guys ass and admit that YOU were in fact wrong?

I am not claiming the guy is another Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning (as far as I know, there are only 2 of those), but the kid is a helluva lot better than most give him credit for and he will be deserving of discussions for a return to the Pro-Bowl this year, as a Chicago freakin Bear.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yeah! Then they'll all deserve to get tea bagged with Cutler hanging from our nuts!!! :rofl2:

I'm gonna let somebody else go first though. :bah: