Chad Pennington had like TWO good seasons in an 11-year career

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 31, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    And how many good seasons has Cutler had? One?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,055 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,780ß
    I don't think anyone here is saying he's a Hall of Famer. His QB rating is still significantly better than Jay's career rating (90's vs. 80's). And he's probably better than 90% of the Bears QB's that we've had over the past 40 or 50 years. So why hate on the guy?
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    he was a weenie:

[​IMG]
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    And why was he a weenie?
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    2/10 troll, but I'll bite:

Chad Pennington took over a 1-4 team, to deliver them to the playoffs, and stop the Patriots from going to the playoffs in 2002
    " " took over a 1-15 team, and delivered them to an 11-5 season, with NO other roster changes. Keep in mind, Sporano is widely considered one of the worst coaches of the last decade.
    Jay Cutler took over a 9-7 Bears team, and took them to 7-9. "oh but his offensive line", yeah, Chad had a roster that was 1-15.
    In 2008, Chad Pennington ALSO came 2nd in MVP scoring, Jay Cutler has come in 0 in every chance he's had at MVP
    In 2009, Chad Pennington was taking a "backup role" to Chad Henne, who Sporano thought was the Dolphins new Franchise QB.
    Chad Pennington is undoubtedly a smarter quarterback than Jay Cutler, and knows how to work with inferior talent, while Jay gets pissy when he's playing with bad players, and his play tends to reflect negatively as a result.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I drank too much whiskey one night and tried to hook up with a chick but I had a bad case of chad Pennington arm going on.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    He totally had a weak arm, BUT he was football smart and he delived the ball like two days before the WR came out of his 6 yard route.

Where Jay has a connon of an arm, he thinks that he can throw the ball late, and fit it into very tight windows.

On the first series of the Pittsburg game I actually thought Jay had totally figured it out. He was delivering the ball with anticipation and accuracy, but that is just about the only complete series where I saw that. Chad had no choice but to throw that way because he really did have a noodle arm.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Chad Pennington offered the drummer from Def Leppard his arm and the drummer passed.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    They modeled the javelin in revenge of the nerds after chad penningtons arm.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    [​IMG]
    WOW
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    [​IMG]
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    According to the website that was used as a source for this, Chad Pennington is ranked as a better QB than Jay Cutler. People who don't watch Jets games think he has a noodle arm, because they're reliant on ESPN for their information about other teams, so your ignorance is forgivable.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    haha, I rick-rolled ya, Henry! :) :)

I am in the camp which states that Pennington AND Cutler are both weenies, albeit for different reasons.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Oh, this was my first thought when I saw the title:

But, there ARE a lot of misconceptions about the guy, namely that he was a weak armed prospect. Certainly not top 10, but prior to his second injury (and even after, in 2008, that he got the Dolphins 11 wins, relying on smarts more than talent or wide receivers) dude could toss it with the best of them. Don't forget that Randy Moss was a forgettable prospect when he transferred to Marshall, and Chad is the one who got him back on the map. Look up some highlights.

It took him 2 games in 2002 to get his rhythm going, (I'm still pissed at the 3 win Bears for potentially ruining their season; also, if Wayne Chrebet didn't fumble that ball, the Bears could've drafted Andre Johnson, instead of trading back, so you guys should be pissed too, lol) and still, my 2 favorite moments in 20+ years of watching football, were when the Jets smashed the shit out of Brett Favre, and Chad out-dueled him (foreshadowing for 2008) in the final game, going 42-17 to win the division. They followed it up, with beating Peyton Manning 41-0 in the wild card round, and completely humiliating Colts fans. The Raiders, of course, beat the shit out of them, but being able to build an early lead, which let the Oakland defense pin their ears back and sack him to eternity.

In the offseason, the Redskins picked up the Jets best receiver, and offensive lineman. Bam, non throwing hand injury, and forced back into action early.

2004, the Jets were fucking fantastic, and when Chad went down with a minor leg injury, frickin' Quincy Carter got us 2 wins (should've been 3, but Jesus Christ, Herm Edwards ***** that up). We go to the wildcard round, Chad takes advantage of a missed field goal in overtime, and leads them to a field goal. THEN against the 15-1 Steelers, the Jets were beating them, and could have put the game away with a field goal. Herm Edwards does what Herm Edwards does to get fired, and calls an amazingly conservative gameplan for the FG attempt, knowing that his kicker has a weak leg, and isn't the most accurate(You guys should remember Doug Brien, he was the POS that Robbie Gould replaced), and the FG misses. THEN the Jets get lucky with an interception, and with the knowledge that his kicker needs a shorter distance for a FG, he again goes conservative, and has him attempt a 50+ yard attempt. They lost in overtime on a FG.

TL;DR, Dude was a damn good player, and even after his first two freak injuries, didn't lose much athleticism, and 2006 would've been a perfect year to have a QB that DOESN'T want to throw it deep all the time. Kinda like now...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    honestly, I was surprised that, outside of the two seasons which I cited, his TD to INT ratio wasn't significantly better. I always viewed him as a smart guy who took care of the football, but for most of his career, he had a relatively low TD to INT ratio.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,055 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,780ß
    He is the all-time leader, in the entire history of the NFL, in completion percentage. Yeah, he's a bum. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    Just gotta ask one question: Where did all this Chad Pennington talk come from, all of a sudden? His stats speak for themselves, I get that. I'm just wondering where is the parallel in all of this?
  19. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    Brad has a hardon for Chad
  20. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz: