Cheeseville Still Not Ready To Sing Kumbiya With Favre...........

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by soulman, Jul 15, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    LeBron love = Favre feeling in Green Bay? Not so much

July 14, 2014, 10:00 am

[​IMG]
    The welcome-home tsunami of emotion that has been washing over Cleveland since LeBron James announced he was returning to his hometown Cavaliers isn’t quite being matched by the sentiments toward Brett Favre in Green Bay.

Packers President Mark Murphy told reporters last week that the team wouldn’t be retiring Favre’s No. 4 this year. Murphy acknowledged that one of the reasons was simply that Favre would likely face booing by the fans he inspired during his storied career in Green Bay, even though none other than Aaron Rodgers is on record as favoring closure to the Favre-Green Bay rift that developed around his lurching exit from the Packers (which saw him end his career with the Minnesota Vikings).

Probably the Green Bay feelings wouldn’t ever reach LeBron’ian levels if only because James is from the Cleveland region, while Favre is from Mississippi. More important, while James in his absence played for the Eastern Conference Miami Heat against Cleveland, Favre gave off the vibe that he expressly wanted to finish playing against the Packers, which he did.

Favre may be voted into the NFL Hall of Fame (he’s eligible in two more years) before he’s admitted to the Lambeau Field Ring of Honor. But as Rodgers said on “The Jim Rome Show,” "I think our country and the state of Wisconsin, these people are people of second, third and fourth chances, and I think it's time to let the healing process begin for those who are still upset about what went down.”

Consider: If Jim McMahon walks out onto Soldier Field, he is hailed as a returning hero even though he played for both the Vikings and the Packers — beating the Bears both times. But McMahon was traded away, rather than Favre’s manner of egress.

Credit Rodgers with a significant statement of integrity and respect. It was Rodgers who was whipsawed in the Favre retirement chaos in 2008 and who didn’t always get complete support from Favre. But the high road is usually the right road, and Rodgers showed why he is more than just a leader on a football field.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    I know 4th is gonna love this one. People in GB are not quick to forgive. I have some personal experience with that. LOL
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +931 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    to me its stupid they don't like him.

is was a great QB that restored their team to peak levels in the early 90s.

before favra, what were they?? Why are they mad again?
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  4. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +275 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    282ß
    There was alot of shennanigans that went on during that time ... some on him some on them - i guess when they both fess up ( whether to each other or thru the media ) then they can get past it . It'll happen , someday .
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +931 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Well, I'm sure a lot of his decisiveness was because of their front office.

Maybe they were at odds, so he was on the ropes every year for the last 5 years in GB.

Either way, fans are really shallow if they don't see him as probably the #2 Packer of all time! Obviously Lombardi as the top Cheese.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Loyalty is big up there Ski and as I said those folks are a very tight knit bunch and not quick to forgive. Had Favre not made a big deal of going to play for the Vikings so he could play against the Packers it would be a different story but essentially he pissed off the people who practically made him a God when he did that. They didn't like that much and they still don't.

I think they see Favre as the shallow one who only cared about himself, his records, his personal legacy and a big paycheck. When he had no more use for the Packers he ceased to be one and became a rival when what he should have done is to have retired as a Packer not a Viking. That was a bad move on his part as far as that town is concerned and they aren't gonna overlook that. Wrong or not it is what it is for them.

If you can recall just how much animosity there was both around here and with some Bears fans in general over Urlacher's attitude and comments about how he was treated last spring during those contract negotiations and multiply that by one hundred thousand or so GB residents/fans who felt betrayed then you have some idea of why he'd get booed right now.

I lived there for quite a few years and I can honestly say that they'll get over it when they're ready to get over it not when Brett Favre, the Packers, or even Aaron Rodgers wants then to get over it. At one time Bart Starr owned that town and then he became the HC. A losing HC. He's not so popular their anymore.