Chi v Balt what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 17, 2013.

1. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Yeah the Ravens just won the Superbowl, so.....
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    LOL. If being upset over a regular season game means more to them than enjoying that their team won the SB.....
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    "Julius Peppers had two sacks. David Bass returned an interception for a touchdown, and Jonathan Bostic set up a field goal by Gould at the end of the first half with an interception."

This D again gave this O 10 points, as bad as they are, and they are not good, they still are capable of handing the O enough points to help them win the game.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    Stephen Paea out with toe injury
    Updated: November 17, 2013, 5:23 PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears could be out another starter on their already ailing defense as defensive tackle Stephen Paea left during the third quarter of Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens with a toe injury.

Paea suffered the injury during the second quarter, but the team didn't announce he'd miss the rest of the game until the third quarter. If Paea is forced to miss time, he'll become the third defensive tackle forced out of action this season for the Bears. The club lost franchise defensive tackle Henry Melton earlier in the season with a torn ACL, and his replacement,Nate Collins, also suffered a season-ending knee injury.

A third-year veteran, Paea already had missed games on Oct. 6 and Oct. 10 due to a nagging turf-toe injury.

Because of all the injuries up front, the Bears lined up with their sixth combination of starters on the defensive line in 10 games. The team was already without defensive endShea McClellin, who has missed the last two games due to a strained hamstring.

In all, eight starters for the Bears have missed multiple games due to injuries with linebacker D.J. Williams and cornerbacks Charles Tillman and Kelvin Hayden also suffering season-ending injuries.
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    And it shows with teams bringing RB's who havent done anything until they play us.

Bring your "B" players at RB against DAA BEARRSSE ... we will be good to you. : (
    • Like Like x 2
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Lol, yes.

Flacco's 2nd pick was inexcusable. It was a terrible Cutler-like decision thrown into triple coverage. The first one--yes it was also a great play by Bass--was one of those things a QB simply can't do. He gave up an avoidable pick 6 and let the opposition back into the game. That's what cost Matt Schaub his job this year.

I know Balt's receiving corps misses Pitta and Boldin badly but the Bears defense sucks hard and is held together by silly string and hair spray. Bottom line: that was a pathetic performance for a highly paid QB.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    True JJ, but in the case or Ray Rice, Harbaugh said that he was finally recovered from a Hip inj he's been playing through and thought he was going to have a big game. In this instance I think it was a perfect storm of really good RB finally healthy hitting a D that is really bad at stopping the run.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    Locker Room Buzz: Chicago Bears
    November, 17, 2013
    7:52 PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com
    CHICAGO -- Observed in the locker room after the Chicago Bears23-20 overtime win over the Baltimore Ravens.

Mud room: After playing on basically a quagmire at rain-soaked Soldier Field -- “It felt like a pig pen out there,” offensive tackle Jermon Bushrod yelled -- several players struggled to peel off wet, muddy clothes in the locker room immediately after the game. “I’ll bet when you woke up you didn’t expect this,” Bushrod joked to teammates. Officials delayed the game for nearly two hours due to inclement weather stemming from a couple of storms passing through the area. Bushrod said the team "almost was on 'Sunday Night Football.'" Rookie right tackle Jordan Mills said “it was like playing in a muddy pond.”

Good advice: Strong gusts led to the National Weather Service issuing wind advisories, and as the Bears prepared to take the field against the Ravens, coach Marc Trestman gave quarterback Josh McCown some advice that he put to use in the game. “When it’s breezy, swing easy,” McCown said Trestman told him. By focusing more on throwing spirals that would cut through the wind instead of trying to throw with more velocity, McCown said he was able to throw better passes in difficult conditions.

Message board: At the end of the team’s pregame dry-erase board were the words “Bear Down” and “Be a Monster.” Given the weather conditions Sunday, those words seemed especially applicable.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    5 things we learned vs. Ravens
    November, 17, 2013

8:15 PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Here are five things we learned in the Chicago Bears' 23-20 victory over theBaltimore Ravens:

1. The Josh McCown story keeps getting better: We are witness to a truly remarkable NFL story. Just when you think McCown is about to fall back to reality, he goes out and posts a 92.9 quarterback rating against a tough Ravens defense. McCown has now attempted 101 passes without throwing a single interception. Do you realize how difficult that is to do for a backup quarterback in the NFL? Once again, McCown delivered with the game on the line, firing a strike to tight end Martellus Bennett for 43 yards that set up the game-winningRobbie Gould field goal. McCown is now 2-0 with a 100.0 quarterback rating in four appearances. Jay Cutler is the Bears’ clear-cut No. 1 quarterback, but there is absolutely no need for him to rush back from his high-ankle sprain before he’s ready. McCown has it under control.

2. The Bears are suddenly right back in the mix: Such is life in the week-to-week NFL. The Bears’ locker room was full of despair last week after their second loss of the season to theDetroit Lions that effectively put the Bears two games behind Detroit in the NFC North standings. But fast-forward seven days and the Bears are neck and neck with the Lions at 6-4 (Detroit still holds the head-to-head tiebreaker) following the exciting overtime win against the Ravens and Detroit’s disappointing defeat in Pittsburgh. Plus, Green Bay dropped to 5-5 with a loss to the New York Giants. With winnable games on the horizon versus the St. Louis Rams (4-6) and Minnesota Vikings (2-8), the Bears are poised to stay in contention for the foreseeable future. Of course, the vibe of the season could change again if the Bears are upset Sunday in St. Louis, but that’s what makes the NFL so great. With only a handful of elite teams, the second-tier outfits usually keep their fans interested until the bitter end.

3. Rookies deliver on defense: There are still gaping holes in the Bears’ run defense -- Baltimore rushed for 174 yards and one touchdown -- but the play of rookies Jon Bostic andDavid Bass can be best described as encouraging. Bass came up with the defensive play of the game when he managed to avoid a cut block and leapt into the air to intercept a Joe Flacco pass at the line of scrimmage and return it for a touchdown. That sequence proved to be a turning point in the game for the Bears. Bostic later showcased his athleticism and speed by dropping into the middle of the field and snaring a Flacco throw for a big interception. Although the jury is still out on some of the Bears’ recent defensive draft picks, it was enjoyable to see a couple first-year players contribute to the victory.

4. Never a doubt with Gould: Despite the horrible weather conditions on Sunday, Gould went 3-for-3 on field goal attempts, including the 38-yard game winner in overtime. Kicking at Soldier Field is not easy, but Gould has mastered the art better than almost anybody in the history of the franchise, with the exception of Kevin Butler. However, if Gould receives a new deal from the club in the offseason, he will eventually break all of Butler’s team kicking records. Gould is 19-of-20 on field goal attempt this season. As the weather continues to change and the games get closer as the season wears on, Bears fans will appreciate Gould more than ever. When called upon, Gould almost always comes through in the clutch.

5. Soldier Field workers deal with adversity: Soldier Field takes its share of abuse because of the grass playing surface, but the stadium workers responsible for evacuating the crowd during the weather delay deserve kudos. It is not easy to evacuate 60,000 people from their seats in a short period of time, but, from my vantage point, the workers got most of the stadium cleared before the really bad weather rolled in on Sunday. Now, I obviously cannot speak for what happened when the fans reached the covered areas of the concourses, but given the serious nature of the weather we experienced in the Chicagoland area, I thought the Soldier Field staff did its best to keep the paying customers as safe as possible. There was an issue in the upper deck on the northwest corner of the stadium, but that appeared to be more of a problem with the design of the stadium, not the effort or approach by the security guards charged with the task of getting fans to shelter. And, finally, the security guards tackled a Ravens fan who rushed onto the field during the delay. It was a good effort all around.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    Bears guilty of season-high 13 penalties
    November, 17, 2013
    9:47 PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO – Had the outcome been different Sunday, the Chicago Bears’ season-high 13 penalties would have been a central storyline, instead of a footnote.

Before the 23-20 overtime victory over the Baltimore Ravens, the Bears had committed just 40 penalties this season, with the previous game high of six occurring in the club’s Week 5 loss to New Orleans.

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
    AP Photo/Charles Rex ArbogastZack Bowman's horse-collar tackle on Torrey Smith extended the Ravens' game-tying drive.
    Cornerback Zack Bowman had the most difficult time with the officials on Sunday, flagged a total of five times (one of the penalties was declined). The most costly of Bowman’s infractions came on the Ravens’ final drive of regulation, when the cornerback – starting in place of the injured Charles Tillman – was called for a horse-collar penalty while tackling receiver Torrey Smith after a 6-yard completion on third-and-10. Bowman’s mistake gave Baltimore 15 yards and a fresh set of downs, and the Ravens ultimately drove down the field and kicked a game-tying field goal with three seconds left on the clock.

“After the play [Smith] popped up and told me that I had his jersey [and that it wasn’t a horse collar],” Bowman said. “But hey, it is what it is. You just have to move on to the next play and keep going. It’s a close call and you just can’t worry if they make the call or don’t make the call. You just have to move on to the next play.

“Look, Tim Jennings told me to keep playing aggressive. He told me that he’d rather see me play aggressive then not play aggressive. I just kept playing. I wasn’t [going to] worry about the officials; I wasn’t worrying about the calls. If they throw the flag, they throw it; if they don’t, they don’t. I can’t worry about what the officials do; I can just focus on what I need to do.”

Bears coach Marc Trestman expressed his unhappiness with the club’s lack of discipline at the very beginning of his postgame news conference.

"We had too many penalties," Trestman said. "Too many pre-snap penalties today that really inhibited our ability to function as well as we’d like to."

The Bears’ players made no excuses for the overwhelming number of miscues, but it is likely the weather conditions Sunday played a role in the amount of infractions committed by both teams. Baltimore was flagged five times for 46 yards.

The penalties are “obviously something we need to work on,” Bears right guard Kyle Longexplained. “When the wind is howling in and out of your helmet you can’t hear anything. Also, your vision is all messed up [with the moisture], so you have to take that all into consideration. But at the end of the day we just need to move forward.”

Defensive end Corey Wootton added: “It was tough. We can’t make any excuses, but sometimes different people get fooled by the center movement and all the head-bobs. But really, we just have to stay poised. And the most important thing is that we need to stay onside.”
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    Something we are all forgetting about, as we bash the Def, not only did they give the O 10 points, but they also held Balt to a HUGE FG t force OT, most really thought they were driving for a TD the way they moved the ball, but they tightened up on the end of that drive, and then shut the Balt O down in OT which allowed the O to score.

The D really is playing better then they were at the begining.
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    In the last 3 games, the Bears have given up: 20, 21 and 20 points. Against the Ravens and Packers, they've allowed the fewest yards that they have all year, and, the fluke game St. Louis had against Indianapolis aside, have a very good chance of having an even better game next weekend. The bad thing is the Rams probably have the best defense we'll see in a while.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    That and they have a REALLY good RB. Ya the D is coming together, it's weird to see the only major change is Tucker on the sidelines, but it does seem to help the players.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/11/17/hoges-notes-rookies-come-through-on-defense/
    Hoge’s Notes: Rookies Come Through On Defense
    November 17, 2013 8:42 PM

SOLDIER FIELD (CBS) — It was by no means a clean day for the Bears’ defense, but the unit came through with the kind of game-changing takeaways it has been lacking in recent weeks.

The biggest of those plays came in the second quarter when rookie defensive end David Bass returned a Joe Flacco interception 24 yards for a touchdown to tie the game at 10. The play came right after the Bears’ offense failed to get in the end zone with six chances inside the six-yard line and settled for a field goal.

Bass read his run-pass keys correctly on the play and didn’t bite on the play action. He jumped up simply to affect the throw and ended up making a very athletic catch. With no one in between him and the end zone, it was an easy touchdown.

“It was a basic play. I was the open side five-technique,” Bass said after the game. “When the tackle went down, my initial key was to close. I saw the quarterback didn’t really give a legitimate handoff fake, so the fullback ended up bouncing to the flat and the running back came to cut me. When the running back came to cut me, I just wanted to beat the cut and stay outside (to keep contain) and get my hands up and affect the ball. Just so happened to be a low throw and I got my hands up.”

Rookie linebacker Jon Bostic also made a nice athletic catch on an interception in the second quarter, defending a deep seam route by tight end Dallas Clark. It was a poor decision by Joe Flacco, but a very nice play by Bostic to turn his hips and make the catch. One of the rookie’s toughest adjustments in the Bears’ Cover-2 scheme has been defending the deep middle.

“Just reading the quarterback, but at the same time, being able to read those routes,” Bostic said. “There’s a lot of things that go with it. You got to be able to read the quarterback’s drop. There’s certain routes you are going to get with certain drops. Reading his drop, reading his eyes.”

And also worrying about the run game at the same time.

“It’s a little bit of a challenge for me, but I’m getting more comfortable with it,” he said.

Penalties Hurt
    The Bears came into Sunday’s game with only 40 penalties on the season, but they committed 13 against the Ravens.

Those penalties added up to a costly 111 yards.

Some were more costly than others — like Zack Bowman’s horse collar tackle on the Ravens’ game-tying drive in the fourth quarter — and they added up quickly.

The Bears’ defensive line was particularly frustrated by four neutral zone infractions (two of which were declined) because they thought Ravens right tackle Marshal Yanda was drawing them offsides with false starts.

“Definitely. A lot of jerking, a lot of whipping. Popping up, even though his hand was still down. I didn’t think it was legal, but obviously it was,” Bass said. “They flagged him for it once. I thought after that flag they were going to continuously call it, but they didn’t. We saw it on film. We knew what was going to happen, but still when you see someone jerk real fast like that, your initial response is to go.”

Forte Comes Through

The Bears only rushed for 104 yards Sunday, but that was a big improvement over the 38 rushing yards they put up last week against the Lions. The execution by the offensive line was much improved and Forte ran through more arm tackles.

That included his 14-yard touchdown catch, which was a screen pass to the right. The Ravens had a chance to stop it near the line of scrimmage, but Forte eluded the tackles and reached over the end zone for the Bears’ only offensive touchdown of the game.

“This was some hard running against a very, very good front,” head coach Marc Trestman said. “Matt is so important to our football team.”

Forte finished with 83 yards rushing on 18 carries, an average of 4.6 yards per carry. Wide receiver Alshon Jeffery added three rushes for 17 yards. He also had seven catches for 83 yards.

Staying Busy

Sunday’s game featured a rare weather delay of nearly two hours. The delay came with 4:51 left in the first quarter, right when both teams were getting into the flow of the game.

Trestman stayed busy throughout the delay though, spending the time in the locker room with his players.

Among the things he said he did during the break: Went over plays with his players, played catch with Brandon Marshall, sat down on the floor with cornerback Tim Jennings, and met with the coaching staff.

After the game, Trestman said he had never been through a delay like that.

“We had one up north, up in Canada, where we had a storm that forced us to delay the start of the game for half an hour, but nothing like this. Ever,” he said.

Notables

- Nose tackle Stephen Paea left the game in the first half with a toe injury and did not return. After the game he was wearing a walking boot on his left foot. He suffered a toe injury on the same foot against the Lions in September and has been playing through it.

- Sunday’s weather delay was the third delay the Ravens have been through since January’s Super Bowl when the power went out at the Superdome. Their first game of the season in Denver also had a weather delay.

“I think we’ve led the league in delays over the last few years,” Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said.

- Trestman said at one point the wind was so bad he felt like he couldn’t call any passes. He was even afraid to call a screen pass. That was likely on the Bears’ only possession of the third quarter, when the Bears ran on all six of their plays.

Adam Hoge covers the Bears for CBSChicago.com and is a frequent contributor to 670 The Score. Follow him on Twitter at @AdamHoge.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/11/18/hub-arkush-bears-show-grit-in-win-over-ravens/a8zc79i/?page=2

Hub Arkush: Bears show grit in win over Ravens
    By HUB ARKUSH - harkush@shawmedia.com - Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:38 p.m. CST

It will be remembered as one of the strangest games of all time, an NFL game delayed by rain and severe weather for two hours, restarted and then threatened again as the weather returned in the third quarter.

It will also be remembered as the game that saved the Bears 2013 season and pretty much stuck a fork in the defending Super Bowl Champion Ravens.

Other than the weather, the Bears' 23-20 overtime victory over the Ravens went pretty much according to plan.

The Ravens offense was awful as expected. Ray Rice did explode for his best game of the season, rushing for 131 yards on 25 carries and catching three passes for 17 more yards. But Joe Flacco proved why he’s the most overpaid and overrated player in the game.

Flacco’s 17-for-31 for 162 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions worked out to a 53.4 passer rating and left him significantly outplayed by the overachieving Josh McCown, the Bears backup quarterback who was 19-for-31 for 216 and a touchdown without a turnover and a 92.9 passer rating He is now 2-0 as a starter.

When asked after the game about McCown outplaying Flacco, coach Marc Trestman smartly avoided the question while praising McCown.

"It was just a terrific job by Josh and the entire team of taking care of the football," Trestman said.

The difference was a Flacco attempt to the flat that was tipped by David Bass and returned for a 24-yard interception return touchdown. It was a ball that never should have been thrown, but the kind Flacco tries with some regularity.

But this win was more about what the Bears did do than what the Ravens didn’t.

Perhaps most important to the Bears' hopes for a stretch drive to an NFC North title – the Lions' 37-27 loss at Pittsburgh leaves the two tied atop the NFC North again at 6-4 – was that Julius Peppers was the best player on the field again.

It’s hard to know where he’s been for the better part of the season, or how much his dominant performance against the Ravens had to do with how horrible their O-line has been this year, but when he plays like he did against Baltimore, everybody else on the Bears defense is better. And he’s a game-changer.

After his worst game of the season last week against the Lions, Matt Forte was a bell cow again, rushing for 83 yards on 18 carries for a 4.6 average while catching five passes for 42 yards with a touchdown.

Then there’s the offensive line. Much like the unknown extenuating circumstances around Peppers’ game, without studying the tape it’s hard to know how much was Jermon Bushrod, Matt Slauson, Roberto Garza, Kyle Long, Jordan Mills and Eben Britton playing great and how much of it was the scheming Trestman and offensive line coach Aaron Kromer do with Britton to make it work.

But when Terrell Suggs is held to one solo tackle and never gets near the quarterback, and Elvis Dumervil gets just one quarterback hit and otherwise doesn’t register on the stats sheet, your line has had a great game.

One more hero who can’t go unnoticed is Martellus Bennett. He has been playing through injuries all season long and when an ankle flared up in addition to shoulder and leg problems that have been chronic, it was uncertain if he’d even go against the Ravens.

He was as much a blocker as a target, helping out with Suggs and Dumervil, but when the Bears desperately needed a big play in overtime it was Bennett who beat cornerback Lardarius Webb down the seam, turned 180 degrees to snare a rope from McCown and then turned again to break two tackles and set up the Robbie Gould game–winner.

The Bears have a ton of work to do. The Lions hold a tiebreaker over them for the division and rumors of the Packers' death are premature.

But the Ravens win and the way it was accomplished proves there’s not an unwinnable game left on the schedule, regardless of who the quarterback is, and that this Bears club has as much or more heart as it does talent.

• Hub Arkush covers the Bears for Shaw Media and HubArkush.com. Write to him at harkush@shawmedia.com.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/11/18/3-and-out-bears-vs-ravens/aa3sde4/

3-and-out: Bears vs. Ravens
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN — kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:05 p.m. CST

3 Quotes

1. “I thought [Lardarius Webb] had good coverage. It was a well-thrown ball in those circumstances. The tight end is a big man. He was kind of out of Lardarius’s reach, and made a nice play.” – John Harbaugh on Martellus Bennett’s overtime catch

2. “It was definitely some backyard football going on. A lot of fun to play in those conditions, and even better to get out of here with a win.” – Kyle Long

3. “Marc made a comment, ‘When it’s breezy, swing easy’ before the game. It was funny because it’s so true.” – Josh McCown

3 things that worked

1. Edge pressure — Julius Peppers had his best game of the season, recording 11 tackles, two sacks and four tackles for loss. David Bass had an interception for a touchdown off the opposite end, and neither Ravens running back got much of anything going east-to-west against the Bears.

2. Forte’s runs — Coming off his worst game of the season, Matt Forte carried the ball 18 times for 83 yards, an average of 4.6 yards a carry against one of the league’s better run defenses. He somehow made impressive jukes in the beaten-down Soldier Field turf during his 14-yard touchdown catch and run.

3. Ball security — On a brutally windy day with rain and all the elements involved, McCown protected the football by not throwing an interception. Alshon Jeffery was able to recover his own fumble, and the Bears won the turnover battle 2-0.

3 that didn’t

1. Pre-snap discipline — The Bears had committed one false start penalty on offense all season, and Martellus Bennett had two. They had two neutral zone infractions on defense and two other offside penalties that were declined. Michael Ford’s offside penalty on the opening kickoff of overtime could have been costly as well.

2. First-half defense — The Ravens converted 5 of 8 third-down opportunities in the first half and gained 99 yards rushing, almost matching their season-best before halftime. They had 14 first downs in the first half and Ray Rice averaged 7 yards a carry.

3. Red-zone offense — The Bears were 1 for 4 on converting red-zone opportunities into touchdowns, including a situation in the second quarter when they had first-and-goal at the Ravens’ two-yard line and threw three consecutive incomplete passes.

3 moments that mattered

1. Ray Rice’s longest run of the season was 14 yards, but he ripped off a 47-yarder on the Ravens’ first drive, helping set up his 1-yard touchdown. The play was a statement, and showed that the Bears’ run defense would struggle with the league’s most inefficient rushing attack.

2. On fourth down on the Ravens’ final drive of regulation, the Bears blitzed but couldn’t get to Joe Flacco. He completed a pass to Dallas Clark, with Chris Conte on him, and the veteran Clark made a one-handed grab. The play gave the Ravens a first down, and they kicked the game-tying field goal later in the drive.

3. Before the big throw to Bennett to set up the game-winning field goal, the Bears faced a third-and-9 from their own 21-yard line. If they didn’t convert, the Ravens would have great field position. McCown stepped up in the pocket and found Jeffery for a 14-yard gain and the crucial first down.

What now?

Record: 6-4

What it means: Losses Sunday by the Lions and Packers mean the Bears are squarely in the NFC playoff hunt, and got out of an ugly, weird game with a victory.

What’s next: The Bears are on the road for three of their next four games, starting Sunday in St. Louis against a Rams team also fighting for wild-card contention.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I agree. Considering the massive injuries that have accumulated by now, the D is actually playing noticeably better the last 3 games with less personnel. This is the conundrum I and BiH have discussed here regarding Tucker. Back when the D was intact or relatively less injured, it was total hot garbage. Makes you wonder why our DC didn't do a better job earlier in the season when he had MORE to work with???
    • Like Like x 1
  18. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    well i guess because of concept of 'time'
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    remember this D has a new person calling the plays, and the D itself lost it's on field qb in Urlacher. There was going to be time needed to get everything to click. Not to mention, ya it was more "intact" but Peppers hadn't played all preseason, Melton didn't play all pre season, and DJ Williams was hurt most of pre season. That's 1/2 of your starting DL and your starting MLB that missed most of pre season, and ya that matters. Then once the reg season started up, it didn't take 2-3 games before guys started getting hurt...that's less then a full pre season that those guys needed to really get up to speed.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    just a few observations.

First the bad. How do you get that many penalties (16 penalties with 13 being accepted) in mid season form. The Ravens had 5, so the weather made a difference, but how disciplined are they? I could not find a split, but most seemed to be on our D.

Now, the good. Seriously, in weather conditions that cause a 2 hour delay because of strong wind and rain, and a BU QB produces no interceptions? Seriously? McCown has had no interceptions this year, And so far he has not lost. Crazy. And Incredible. Kudos to Trestman for having kept him and getting what he has out of him.

If we play better disciplined ball, and actually stop the run and get some real defensive pressure (better this week), we really are a team to deal with.