Chi v Balt what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    yeah, 68. I think because of current improvement, a lot has been glossed over.

Trestman comes in with LOTS of new players and a COMPLETELY new system and they performed well from the beginning. Getting better as the season goes forward. He even lost his starting QB, and the beat goes on.

Tucker comes in and has most of the previous starters. He pretty much keeps everything the same. He puts out crap. People get injured, and the crap continues (can't fault him much on that though). Things are better, but they are not good. The Ravens OL is not dominant. Stopping GB without Rogers is something that almost all of the rest of the NFL can do.

If anyone thinks that things are really getting all that better, we will find out if Rogers is back for our last game or if we get into the postseason. We simply can not stop the run. We don't put pressure on the QB if they have a good OL, and we have a lousy secondary. Other than that, the defensive group have been stellar :)

In all seriousness, I am not understand the willingness to accept excuses for him, but it seems prevalent. What I am concerned about is that next year when we are healthy again, all we will have an average D, or at worst another year of underperforming D before something is done. I do not see Tucker as a real defensive architect that is going to field an innovative, suffocating D. I really was hoping for Trestmans's defensive counterpart, and in no way do I see Tucker being that man, even at best.

Ric has been saying that we need to see Tuckers own D next year. I have two problems with that. (and understand that I respect Ric's opinion)

1). This IS Tuckers defense. He had the option of installing any D he wanted. He elected to install the one that had the smallest learning curve with the most chance to be dominant since it was before. HE chose this D. If he couldn't make something work that has worked for 5 years, how much luck is he going to have trying to get a different system installed?

2) He had a healthy group here for a little while. That keeps getting glossed over. Why did he not have any success? He was new? So was Trestman. And Trestman changed everything. Tucker did not. I just do not see the value in this guy. But that's me.

Do I think he will be here next year? Absolutely, almost without a doubt because he has gotten every pass in the world with his injuries. Do I think we will have a dominant D next year or he will get all he can out of whatever new players we bring in? No. Prove me wrong Mel. Hopefully, I am way off base.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Julius Peppers and the d-line had a good game. That was the difference yesterday. Maybe he's healthy again, maybe the field had something to do with it, maybe the badness of the Ravens o-line, but we had a pass rush and pressure.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    I guess we just need a soft muddy field to get our best push...
  4. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Bowman needs to go, almost lost the game for the Bears with that horse collar and prevented another possible score because we would have been in the red zone on the Ravens 20yrd line......all Bowman had to do was push the guy out of bounds.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    McCown beat the 13th best D and defending Superbowl Champs. Cutler cannot do it. He cannot beat good Ds.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Well luckily for us Bowman is out of contract also sooo it should be all good.

McCown did what? He was handed 10 points by the Def. who only gave up 20 points. That meant all McCown had to do was score 23 points, and it took him OT to get it. McCown had a good game, but lets not overstate what he did. The Bears D won this game more then McCown did, and ya I really think Cutler would have won this game if he were healthy.
  7. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    The Dline can show up.
    I love Jeffery more and more for every game we play.
    Bostic is looking like a solid pick.
    McCown is still without an INT after 2½ games. Never have doubt in McCown. If only he was a rookie..
    Our Oline is fucking good and will grow better and better for each week. Ravens is the 2th team in the league with most sacks afaik and what did Bears allow? 1-2? Sure the circumstance didn't allow the Dline's to play optimal but our Dline was able to pressure Rogders whereas Ravens didn't get much pressure of McCown. Maybe the stats will show otherwise but this is the impression I had.

Also I learned why Chicago's nickname is The Windy City.. Seems like Ravens can't fly in winds with up to 40 mps gusts..
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Zif, ya the Dl looked really good today, in pass Def...they got lit up by a finally healthy Rice.
    I agree 100% on Jeffery, he's looking like the real deal more and more each week.
    Bostic is looking good.
    McCown, he's looking really good, but I still want Cutler back and healthy asap. That 1st qtr looked like Balt had his #.

Great win regardless.
  9. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Yea why did Rice have to show up today? He has been almost a nonfactor for the whole season (injurie+bad blocking) but then suddenly he goes crazy just when they play Bears..
    This season reminds me so much of Jets.. Full of up and downs.. Vs Redskins I felt like our season was over then McCown plays like a boss and beats Packers, okay hope is restored and then they lose to Lions and you go.. meeh, probably gonna lose to Ravens and Lions will beat Steelers but then Lions looses to Steelers somehow and Bears win.. Division is still wide open!

Crazy season I tell ya crazy season.
  10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    That first quarter it looked like he was throwing into a tornado. Maybe it's just me.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Harbaugh stated that he felt that Rice was finally healthy for the first time all year, equal that w/bad DL run def and you have a huge game for Rice.

I thought that both the Chi/Balt game and the Det/Pit games were coinflips. At the end of any week you can bet Det is still capable of losing a game.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    it did, but it didn't bother the other qb to much.

But it also didn't help that the wr's weren't ready either. Hell marshal had a HORRIBLE game, dropped 7 passes on 11 attempts.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    I think because we may be the worst run D he has faced. If a RB can't gain against a poor run D, then he should not be a running back. I don't think it was so much him showing up as him having less resistance.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Flacco has a much stronger arm and was throwing downwind to boot. IMO, you really can't look at any QB too harshly, Flacco included, in a game like yesterdays and just be glad that we came away with the win. We could just as easily lost many times.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Actually I agree w/that, and even said it in my original post about the game. Hard to judge either.
  16. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Yeah, and then you started dismissing McCown's performance.

"McCown did what? He was handed 10 points by the Def. who only gave up 20 points. That meant all McCown had to do was score 23 points, and it took him OT to get it. McCown had a good game, but lets not overstate what he did."

McCown was making throws with horrible winds. All he had to do was score 23 points, but he could have just as easily not made some clutch throws and turned in a loss. The guy played a great game with no interceptions again.

I'd think you wait to rip him when he plays poorly. The guy did his job. McCown's not going to win a shootout with Peyton Manning, but he's keeping us alive.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,030 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    He's been a mighty good backup. Even if he has a bad game, down the road, I'm still going to remember his time here as a class guy who tried to help save our season. He doesn't have much physical talent. But he sure plays smart football, and he plays with 100% heart. He must be an inspiration in the locker room too. Glad we have him.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    that's b/c someone came out and said ...McCown won that game for us, something Cutler cannot do...

Keep everything in context, w/one another. If I speak positively of him, you ignore it, when I speak critically of him b/c someone says something stupid like "he played perfect" or "he won a game Cutler cannot" then you say I'm ripping him. But I'm not, I'm ripping a person for overstating something that McCown did.

No he's not winning a shootout w/Peyton, but then again about 3 guys in the league can, and Cutler isn't one of them...you going to dog me for ripping Cutler now?
  19. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    It's good to see him getting props from the media. Now, there are the homer meatheads that are taking this too far on the radio that want McCown to be the full time starter, and that makes me shake my head in sadness. He a good backup. But this kind of success for McCown this late into his career has got to feel just awesome. To think that his last game as a starter could have been with Panthers four years ago, and now he's pulling out wins to keep us in the hunt is just incredible.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Wait, you were replying to chicitybears? Oh. I thought no one actually replies to chicitybears. At least not seriously.

See, I thought you were slipping into a backhanded compliment of, "Well, McCown played alright, I guess, but he really sucks. Here's why!" that you tend to do.