Chi v Det 2.0

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 10, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Oi so many issues today after a good start too....sob.

Chicago O: A tale of 2 halves. The O did what they need to do to win games in the 1st, long sustained drives, even if they don't score. B/c of that the D held the game close. The Lions sold out to stop Forte and were getting burned by the pass. Forte was unable to break tackles like he normally does. Towards the end of the 2nd qtr though you saw Cutler wasn't healthy and finally bad JC showed up throwing a bad RZ pick, that would be the game(IMO), not the decision to go for it on 4th and a long 1, 46yard FG's are never given, but at the 2nd of a qtr in the rz, don't throw a pass that isn't there, take the fg, and win the game. 2nd half roles around and it's obvious from the start that Cutler isn't healthy. not one drive over 3 min's, and only 2 over 2 min's....finally at that point wore out and there was no recovering from the lack of O scoring. McCown came in and looked good at times, and sloppy some others, but that should be expected from a guy w/no warm ups since half time. Btw, if you want to know how important comp % is, you saw it today, JC in the 1st, over 60% and had sustained drives, end of the game 50% and constantly failed drives...the one TD scored, by McCown 60% comp. Get it, not hate on McCown, but a required stat that matters for a mediocre at best D to not get worn out and have to be on the field to often.

Chicago D: Actually did okay, held a very potent team to 21 points, got a lot of pressure(albeit no sacks), and until the end when they were tired held the rush game pretty much in check. Conte finally made a few good plays, same cannot be said for Major though. DL and LB's played okay minus a few mistakes, but considering you have 2 rookies that should be expected. Tillman had a few good plays, but also got burned a lot, he's looking old and hurt, not a good combo for a CB. Never thought I'd say this, but we need Shea healthy if Wootton is going to stay at DT(and he played well today there). Bass wasn't horrid, but he was far from good. CornyWash got some action...and was a non factor.

Chicago ST's: Gould needs to work all offseason on onside kicks, at this point the team is better off kicking deep and hoping for a strip, the odds are better for that working. Gould gets no height at all on the onside kick. Hester made a few good returns, but nothing special, Podlesh wasn't outstandingly good or bad. The st's gave up one big return from what I remember. Something not talked about near enough was the loss of the Bears ST coach, and how hard it's going to be to replace him.

Chicago Coaches: welcome to your first clear loss Tresty, yep this one is on you. How you kept Cutler in there until it was to late is beyond head scratching. It was obvious in the 2nd qtr he was hobbled, but I got you trying to finish the half. But to not start the 2nd w/McCown after you have him warm up is beyond me. And it was pretty obvious that Cutler no longer had the ability to play consistent ball. D and DC did all they could to keep you in this, and you screwed the pooch.

Det O: Stafford is the weak link in this O, but that's a pretty good weak link. I said it in FA I said it before and after the first game, and I'll say it now, Bush in that O is going to be a huge problem. their OL is amazing and stafford has all day to throw. The Bears OL hopes to be the Det OL when they grow up. I heard they asked for their autographs after the game and gave them a coke hoping to get their jersey's.

Det D: Bunch of dirty pricks and it should have cost them more then it did, shame the Ref's blew a few obvious calls. That being said they are still one of the best front 7's in the game and when they decide to shut down the run, you are not going to run on them. They dared a less then 100% JC to beat them and he couldn't. Sadly the Bears were still in the game and had a chance at the end.

Det ST's: Hey Det, now you see why Akers lost his job last year, and why he shouldn't be on yours tomorrow?

Det coches: If this crew can ever learn to get their players under control this will be a legit contender, until then...they might win the Div, but they aren't going far in the p/o's. Anyone still thinking Izzy is the missing link, he had the same stat's as a 4th round rookie Cornwash, and flat worse then a UDFA in Bass.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4687980/rapid-reaction-chicago-bears-5

NOV 10
    4:07 PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

CHICAGO -- A few thoughts on the Chicago Bears21-19 loss to the Detroit Lions on Sunday at Soldier Field:

What it means: The Bears missed an opportunity to seize the division lead and put some cushion between themselves and the Green Bay Packers, who lost to Philadelphia. Instead, Chicago made its road to the postseason more difficult. Quarterback Josh McCown came in and provided a spark late, nearly rallying the Bears. His entrance at the 2:17 mark was long overdue, as Jay Cutler seemed to be hurting the team by trying to play through injury.

Second-guessing fourth-down call: Bears coach Marc Trestman drew praise for his decision Monday night to go for it on fourth down against the Packers, but a similar move in the second quarter resulted in criticism. With his team holding possession at the Detroit 27-yard line, Trestman called for a Michael Bush run behind right guard Kyle Long that went for no gain. The offensive line appeared to produce adequate push, but Bush ran into the backs of his blockers.

Protecting Cutler: Just 21 days removed from tearing a groin muscle, Cutler returned to the starting lineup on Sunday, showing no residual effects from the injury -- at least initially. Cutler connected on 3 of 4 for 61 yards and a 32-yard touchdown to Brandon Marshall on Chicago’s opening drive. The team put Cutler in the shotgun for the majority of the game to minimize the risk of aggravating the injury; Chicago operated out of the shotgun on 12 of its first 13 snaps and 25 of 33 snaps in the first half. Then, late through the second quarter, Cutler started to show signs that he was in pain. That pain appeared to increase during the team’s first drive to start the second half. Looking stiff and sluggish, Cutler seemed to be in enough discomfort to leave the game. But then he hit Marshall for a 44-yard completion. Later in the drive, Cutler -- in tremendous pain -- actually headed toward the sideline, with McCown running onto the field. Cutler fell as he neared the sideline, but waved off McCown and walked back to the huddle.

Run D better, still needs work: Reggie Bush ran wild in the first meeting between the teams, gaining a 139 yards on 18 attempts. Chicago’s defense did a much better job defending Bush on Sunday, but the running back still made a few key plays. Bush broke a 39-yarder on Detroit’s first drive of the second half, which put the Lions in position to go ahead by seven on Calvin Johnson’s 4-yard touchdown reception. On the play, Bush shook struggling Bears safety Chris Conte; Charles Tillman making the touchdown-saving tackle.

Conte redemption? Despite the early struggles, Conte picked off a Matthew Stafford pass intended for Johnson and returned it 35 yards to set up a Robbie Gould 32-yard field goal in the fourth quarter. Then he gave Chicago’s offense another chance when he knocked a pass out of Johnson’s hands in the end zone.

What’s next: The Bears return to Halas Hall on Monday to watch film of the loss to Detroit before taking the day off Tuesday. The club begins preparations Wednesday to host theBaltimore Ravens next Sunday at noon.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331110003

Calvin Johnson catches two TDs as Lions hold off Bears

Associated Press

Countdown Daily Prediction: DET-CHI

CHICAGO -- Calvin Johnson stepped up when Detroit needed him the most. Similar to whatHerman Moore used to do for the Lions.

Johnson had two second-half touchdown receptions, Reggie Bush rushed for 105 yards and the Detroit Lions beat Jay Cutler and the Chicago Bears 21-19 on Sunday in a key matchup of NFC North rivals.
    Johnson broke Moore's franchise record with his 63rd career touchdown reception with 2:22 to go, giving the Lions a 21-13 lead with a 14-yard grab in the corner of the end zone. He also had a tiebreaking 4-yard TD reception on the first drive in the third quarter.

Bush had 89 yards on the ground in the second half as Detroit (6-3) swept the season series against Chicago (5-4). The Lions, Bears and Packers began the day in a three-way tie for the division lead.

Cutler threw for 250 yards and a touchdown in his first action since he injured his groin last month. He looked progressively worse as the game wore on and departed before the Bears' final drive with what the team said was an ankle injury.

Josh McCown came in and drove the Bears right down the field, throwing an 11-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Marshall with 40 seconds left. After a roughing penalty onWillie Young gave the Bears another chance at the tying 2-point conversion, Nick Fairleythrew Matt Forte down in the backfield to preserve the win for Detroit.

Matthew Stafford threw for 219 yards for Detroit, which has won two in a row for the first time since the end of September. Johnson had six catches for 83 yards.

Johnson's eighth touchdown reception of the season capped a five-play, 66-yard drive and gave Detroit a 14-7 lead after Chicago kicked off to begin the second half. Bush set up the TD with a 39-yard run that featured a terrific move on Bears free safety Chris Conte.

Conte got even in the fourth, intercepting an overthrown ball by Stafford and returning it 35 yards to the Detroit 9.

Forte then had a touchdown run negated by a holding penalty on left guard Matt Slausonand an apparent scoring pass to Alshon Jeffery was overturned when a replay showed he lost control of the ball when he hit the ground.

Robbie Gould's 31-yard field goal trimmed the Lions' lead to 14-13 with 9:17 remaining, setting the stage for the frantic finish.

It was Cutler's first game since he was sacked by Redskins nose tackle Chris Baker in the first half of Chicago's 45-41 loss at Washington on Oct. 20. He had to be helped off the field, and an MRI revealed a torn groin muscle that was expected to sideline the quarterback for at least four weeks.

Cutler, himself, had other ideas.

The Bears had a bye week after the Washington loss, and Cutler watched while McCown led Chicago to a big 27-20 victory at Green Bay last Monday. Cutler then was cleared to play on Thursday and made the start against Detroit with the Lions, Bears and Packers all tied for the NFC North lead.

He insisted he was 100 percent, but it was clear his groin was bothering him more and more as the game wore on. He grabbed his groin area and dropped to the ground after one third-quarter throw. He then popped right back up and remained in the game.

Cutler's big right arm sure looked fine. He led the Bears right down the field on the opening drive of the game, throwing a 32-yard touchdown pass to Marshall for a 7-0 lead.

The Lions responded with a 12-play, 85-yard drive on their first possession. Stafford completed each of his first six passes, including a 5-yard throw to Kris Durham for the tying score.

At that point, it looked as if it would be a high-scoring showdown between Stafford and Cutler, but that was all the scoring for the first half.

Each team was stopped on a fourth-and-1 deep in its opponent's territory, and Cutler had a pass tipped by Ndamukong Suh and grabbed by DeAndre Levy in the end zone for the linebacker's fifth interception.---AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
  4. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This loss is on Trestman plain and simple. If it was me I wouldn't have let Cutler start and not gone for that 4th and 1.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    4th and long one, is questionable, but a 46 yard field goal, even by Gould is not a given. I'd have been far more happy if it was a 4th and inch or a short 1. As for not starting Cutler, he came out and looked really good and healthy, the mistake was in not pulling him at first signs of him being hampered.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,778 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    I believe we could have won this game with McCown starting. Not because he's a better QB than Jay, but because he's a better QB than Jay with a groin injury. Now I'm thinking Jay probably screwed up the groin by coming back too soon, and will NOW miss some serious time. It was my worst fear going into this game. We have one of the best (if not THE best) backup QB's right now in McCown. McCown clearly has a "hot hand" now too. Why on earth put Jay in as starter today? Stupid, stupid, stupid move.

The only "positive" I can take from this, is that (hopefully) Trestman will learn from today's mistakes.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I don't know JABF, in one instance McCown was clearly more mobile and that helped him, but in the other, some of those throws he made in that final drive made me question his ability to score 21+ points. the D was all over him they didn't worry at all about him throwing deep. His mobility saved him, and he's clearly upped his game under trestman, but there were times that Cutler was able to throw the ball down field on throws I just don't know that McCown makes.

I do agree that Cutler needed to be pulled though.
  8. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    They probably would've stacked the box even more with McCown starting b/c they know McCown can't throw it deep. As shaky as Cutler was starting the game, he did a good job. We all agree that Cutler should've been pulled when he started to show he was hurting.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,778 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    McCown is playing with a hot hand right now. McCown has a QB rating this season of over 100, and today he had 123.4. The guy is playing some good ball for a backup. There was no need to rush Jay into playing today. By starting Jay too soon we risked losing him for a longer time this season than is necessary. Factoring in the Green Bay situation, a McCown win today would have been HUGE. I will always believe that with McCown starting this game - we win. And consequently take over sole 1st place in the NFC-N. Now though, we have lost 2 to the division leading Detroit Lions. It's a tough break for sure. Trestman didn't help us by starting Jay too soon, and he hurt us with some bad play calling today, IMHO.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Terrible decisions by Trestman today. No getting around that.

And the pass rush utterly disappeared yet again.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Well good lord you're now down to your 3rd string DT and your third and 3rd and 4th string RDE. Not sure you can expect much from the DL other then being more stout vs the run, which it was. They did get a few pressures but outside of that I wasn't expecting much from them.
  12. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    This loss is on Trestman 100%. It was foolish to not put McCown in there when the groin was clearly affecting Cutler... I mean sure, give Cutler a chance, but by about midway through the 3rd quarter, he needed to be pulled... the groin was clearly limiting his ability to play. Cutler played alright, even though the INT to end the half hurt, but the ball got tipped and shit happens sometimes.

The play calls on the 4th/1 and the 2pt conv were pretty terrible as well, Trestman got cute and/or put his personnel in a poor situation to be successful on those calls. I don't have a problem with going for it on a 4th/1, but the heavy package and Iso run with Bush was just poor strategy... the Lions have a stout DL, it's their primary strength on defense, plus the formation called just brought all 11 into the box... asking your players to execute, when you put them at a disadvantage, is just a poor play-calling. Line your fucking guys up and find the mismatches, then attack where you have the advantage; don't get too cute with overly stupid misdirection and trickery, find the mismatches and give your players a decent chance to execute. Force your opponent into having to make a good play to stop you, rather than merely a routine one.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    I agree. Normally, I don't criticize a 4th and 1, because a team should be able to make it. However, in this case you are playing a very strong D with a very good O. And the division title is probably on the line. You take whatever points you are able to get.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I think that is the key point of emphasis on that 4th and 1 BiH, the team you are playing, and what's at stake. Wanna go for a 4th and 1 against a incomplete team that is not in the North, fine by me. But you want to go for it against a team w/a STOUT DL and LB core, AND is in your Div w/a 1/2 game lead...might not be the best choice.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    LOL, I was thinking the very same thing, but didn't say anything. I figure I'll let you be the dummy on this one! ;)
  16. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Shea was missed, as funny as this may sound
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Just goes to show you how beat up this DL is, Shea was missed. Tell me how Rod or Lovie turn Bass and Corny into even Shea level, let alone better, they aren't. DL was a problem to start, but the loss of Melton/Collins, and therefore Wootton and now Shea has created limited rush to 0 rush....all that being said the team was pressuring Stafford and clogging his throwing lane.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Don't get me wrong, Ric, the D pretty much did its job today (everything except getting key sacks like they did Monday night). Holding Detroit to 21 isn't bad. And it probably was too much to ask for a very banged up DL to bring consistent pressure.

I'm mostly mad at Trestman and Cutler. Terrible decision to not kick a makeable FG there. Terrible decision to start Jay at all (he clearly wasn't ready). Terrible play call on the 2 pt conversion attempt (you don't run into the strength of the oppositions personnel). And Cutler of course with yet another terribly costly INT that was the difference in the game.

The Bears never blow an opportunity to blow an opportunity. And beating Green Bay was a huge opportunity to take the division now wasted.
  19. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    In my time as a Bears fan, this Detroit game is one of the most maddening, frustrating, infurating, and heart breaking games that I've ever watched.

It cuts deep that we just totally and completely blew an extremely winnable game. No excuses for that whatsoever. But the fact that we lost that way to one of the most disliked division rivals who also happen to be a bunch of arrogant, dirty thugs makes it even worse. We have to wait until NEXT YEAR to exact revenge on Detroit.

Bottom line is, Trestman and his staff cost us this game. There were several times where the decision making and play calling were extremely suspect. Going for it on 4th and 1 in the 1st Quarter instead of taking the 3 points and the subsequent Bush playcall, the decision to pass the ball near the goal line in the 2nd Quarter, the Cover 1 against Megatron in the 4th, the play calling on the 2-point-conversion, and of course the decision to leave a one-legged Cutler in the game for too long were all "what the hell are you thinking" moments. It's tough for an opposing coach to look like the stupid one against Jim Schwartz because he's completely incompetent but Trestman and his coaches did just that.

Speaking of Cutler, I have been one of THE BIGGEST Cutler supporters out there. I appreciate how good a QB he really is and he had been one of the toughest players I have ever seen. (Playing with Diabetes and a series of injuries over the years) He is one of the best QBs in Bears history. But, after watching McCown play the last few weeks and watching Cutler's injuries and missed games pile up (along with several injuries/missed games over the last few seasons) have me seriously questioning whether Cutler is the right QB for this team and whether the suspect play calling and lack of an offensive line during the Lovie Smith Era have caught up with Jay. I think we absolutely need to draft a QB in 2014.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,778 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    That is the perfect epitaph for the failed 2013 season. We had the NFC-N division championship handed to us on a silver platter. The "D" did enough for us to win (holding Detroit to 21 points was amazing). The game was so very winable. And we let it slip through our fingers. MP, your saying is priceless. Perfect description for the Chicago Cubs too: "The Bears (and Cubs) never blow an opportunity to blow an opportunity."
    • Like Like x 1