Chi v Det 2.0

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 10, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,163ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Well good lord you're now down to your 3rd string DT and your third and 3rd and 4th string RDE. Not sure you can expect much from the DL other then being more stout vs the run, which it was. They did get a few pressures but outside of that I wasn't expecting much from them.

2. Warlock

Warlock
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    This loss is on Trestman 100%. It was foolish to not put McCown in there when the groin was clearly affecting Cutler... I mean sure, give Cutler a chance, but by about midway through the 3rd quarter, he needed to be pulled... the groin was clearly limiting his ability to play. Cutler played alright, even though the INT to end the half hurt, but the ball got tipped and shit happens sometimes.

The play calls on the 4th/1 and the 2pt conv were pretty terrible as well, Trestman got cute and/or put his personnel in a poor situation to be successful on those calls. I don't have a problem with going for it on a 4th/1, but the heavy package and Iso run with Bush was just poor strategy... the Lions have a stout DL, it's their primary strength on defense, plus the formation called just brought all 11 into the box... asking your players to execute, when you put them at a disadvantage, is just a poor play-calling. Line your fucking guys up and find the mismatches, then attack where you have the advantage; don't get too cute with overly stupid misdirection and trickery, find the mismatches and give your players a decent chance to execute. Force your opponent into having to make a good play to stop you, rather than merely a routine one.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,975ß
    I agree. Normally, I don't criticize a 4th and 1, because a team should be able to make it. However, in this case you are playing a very strong D with a very good O. And the division title is probably on the line. You take whatever points you are able to get.

• Like Like x 2
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,163ß
    I think that is the key point of emphasis on that 4th and 1 BiH, the team you are playing, and what's at stake. Wanna go for a 4th and 1 against a incomplete team that is not in the North, fine by me. But you want to go for it against a team w/a STOUT DL and LB core, AND is in your Div w/a 1/2 game lead...might not be the best choice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,975ß
    LOL, I was thinking the very same thing, but didn't say anything. I figure I'll let you be the dummy on this one! ;)

6. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    Shea was missed, as funny as this may sound

7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,163ß
    Just goes to show you how beat up this DL is, Shea was missed. Tell me how Rod or Lovie turn Bass and Corny into even Shea level, let alone better, they aren't. DL was a problem to start, but the loss of Melton/Collins, and therefore Wootton and now Shea has created limited rush to 0 rush....all that being said the team was pressuring Stafford and clogging his throwing lane.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Don't get me wrong, Ric, the D pretty much did its job today (everything except getting key sacks like they did Monday night). Holding Detroit to 21 isn't bad. And it probably was too much to ask for a very banged up DL to bring consistent pressure.

I'm mostly mad at Trestman and Cutler. Terrible decision to not kick a makeable FG there. Terrible decision to start Jay at all (he clearly wasn't ready). Terrible play call on the 2 pt conversion attempt (you don't run into the strength of the oppositions personnel). And Cutler of course with yet another terribly costly INT that was the difference in the game.

The Bears never blow an opportunity to blow an opportunity. And beating Green Bay was a huge opportunity to take the division now wasted.

9. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    In my time as a Bears fan, this Detroit game is one of the most maddening, frustrating, infurating, and heart breaking games that I've ever watched.

It cuts deep that we just totally and completely blew an extremely winnable game. No excuses for that whatsoever. But the fact that we lost that way to one of the most disliked division rivals who also happen to be a bunch of arrogant, dirty thugs makes it even worse. We have to wait until NEXT YEAR to exact revenge on Detroit.

Bottom line is, Trestman and his staff cost us this game. There were several times where the decision making and play calling were extremely suspect. Going for it on 4th and 1 in the 1st Quarter instead of taking the 3 points and the subsequent Bush playcall, the decision to pass the ball near the goal line in the 2nd Quarter, the Cover 1 against Megatron in the 4th, the play calling on the 2-point-conversion, and of course the decision to leave a one-legged Cutler in the game for too long were all "what the hell are you thinking" moments. It's tough for an opposing coach to look like the stupid one against Jim Schwartz because he's completely incompetent but Trestman and his coaches did just that.

Speaking of Cutler, I have been one of THE BIGGEST Cutler supporters out there. I appreciate how good a QB he really is and he had been one of the toughest players I have ever seen. (Playing with Diabetes and a series of injuries over the years) He is one of the best QBs in Bears history. But, after watching McCown play the last few weeks and watching Cutler's injuries and missed games pile up (along with several injuries/missed games over the last few seasons) have me seriously questioning whether Cutler is the right QB for this team and whether the suspect play calling and lack of an offensive line during the Lovie Smith Era have caught up with Jay. I think we absolutely need to draft a QB in 2014.

#19 BelieveInMonsters, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,294ß
    That is the perfect epitaph for the failed 2013 season. We had the NFC-N division championship handed to us on a silver platter. The "D" did enough for us to win (holding Detroit to 21 points was amazing). The game was so very winable. And we let it slip through our fingers. MP, your saying is priceless. Perfect description for the Chicago Cubs too: "The Bears (and Cubs) never blow an opportunity to blow an opportunity."

• Like Like x 1