Chi v Det 2.0

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 10, 2013.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    When Trestman went for that 4th and 1 in the 1st quarter, I actually missed the Bush play because I face palmed and said out loud "Oh God no" when he decided to go for it. I knew right then it was an epic fail.

Trestman may not have been thinking straight because he was able to convert on 4th down a couple of times earlier in the season.

Newsflash Trestman: I don't care what happened earlier in the season, going for it on 4th down is going to fail more often than not especially against a division rival with a Stout defensive front.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    I really didn't have a problem w/the 4th and 1. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Bush up the gut is as pointless as Forte up the gut. Garza was getting owened all day.

The idea that Gould is just going to drop a 46 yard fg is a bit maddening and you then give Det even better field possession. This game was not lost there. It was lost on the RZ pick and 2 poor play calls w/the 2 pt conversion.

btw Jeffery end arounds need to go away.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    It's become like the obligatory Hester bubble pass of past seasons. Fools nobody now.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    Hey where are is all the hate about the 50% comp rate? I was getting dogged non stop last week b/c I dared to say 50% comp%'s will lead to stalled drives and this team cannot afford it b/c the D will falter. Where are all the 50% doesn't matter?
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Because it was Cutler. :D
    Somehow it's okay if Cutler has a QB rating in the 60's too. We're gonna blame this all on Cutlers ankle. I think we have a whole stack of Cutler excuses for not winning big games now. And people have a stroke if you mention the mere possibility of "life without Jay" here in Chicago. He's the best we've ever had, you know. Can't win big games, but that's irrelevant. It's always someone else's fault when we lose these games.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    168ß
    I agree on what the "key screwups" were but in a two point loss passing on an early FG really hurts. It was an aggressive but unwise decision that ended up costing big in the 4th.

You can say it was no gimme FG and that's true. But it's one Gould probably (80% chance) would have made. And the 4th down wasn't "inches" or even a short yard. I was seated almost precisely down the LOS and it was a solid 4 feet to gain. Iow, a yard++.

I think a HC can justify being aggressive there on the road or if youre a big underdog trying to take advantage of limited opportunities. But....in an evenly matched game at home?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    168ß
    Even before "the ankle injury" (whatever it was), Jay wasn't right. He wasn't 100%. I watched his body language from the stands carefully and he was hurting. Even sank to his knees once or twice after the ball was gone and cameras were off him. You don't do that when you acutely "twist your ankle". He was hurting from the thigh. I can't put my finger on exactly when but he must have tweaked it again at some point and we all know how muscle pulls like that feel--you're "fine" until you exert it that last 5% extra and then it hurts like hell again. Bottom line: I'll give Trestman a pass for starting him even though it was only 3 weeks but he should have had a short leash and pulled him way sooner. McCown is far more mobile than Cutler on one leg. Can't prove it, but I do believe McC would have won us the game if we had gone to him no later that start-of-the-3rd. Jay was very ineffective in the 2nd half.

We all know this D doesn't have much of a chance (and it played pretty decently all things considered yesterday) unless we win the TO battle. And we didn't. Cutler threw only one pick but it was soooooo costly. Same thing as in the NO game....dangerous throw over the middle packed in tight at the 5. It's not just a "good play by the defense". It's also a risky pass that is gonna get picked a lot if its tipped or less than perfect. Again.....this is the ill-advised stuff that Jay does that really tarnishes his beautiful deep shots to Marshall. Without that pick even if we DON'T score a TD, there's probably an 80% chance we win the game.

The difference between 8-8 and 12-4 can be quite small actually. Like just a few avoidable mistakes and misjudgments.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I pretty much agree JABF. I do hear the folks that say "Jay is better than McCown", that's true, and even in the first quarter or two was. But the big point you made is: "Jay WORSE off now?" I believe McCown could have gotten the same amount of points. Now we have a week+ rusty McCown and an further injured Jay.

Another point to all this is "politics". I really believe Trestman and Jay didn't want to go through the "media circus". You know "So Trestman, McCown is playing well, are you thinking of Replacing Jay? Is this Jay's last year with the Bears?", etc etc etc.

I also think Jay is worried about a contract renewal so he was pushing hard to get back in ASAP.
    • Like Like x 1