Chi v Det what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Sep 29, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I was hoping that too. Deceived myself into believing that he was coach-able in that regard. But some switch flips in his head and he forgets everything he's been taught--for the entire day. You're right, it's like he has a bad gene and the disease is there permanently. He seems not to understand how self-destructive he is sometimes.

I agree on the financial thing. I can't see giving him a big new contract after a pants-soiling performance like that. I guess Emery is going to have to rent a decent vet (someone like Cassel or Hoyer would be fine by me) and draft a young guy....and we start all over at the QB position next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Absolutely and completely agree. I would not leave Cutler this year short of a complete and total meltdown. Trestman needs time with him, and in fairness 4 years of being hit by cars makes you nervous to cross the street. Even after you do it a few times without being hit.

And yes, we SHOULD have won that game, but with no pressure from our DL (as we all expected) we KNEW it was going to be a dogfight. The X factor that I did not count on was Cutler having decent time and still having happy feet. I did not expect that.

I am concerned about Tucker for a few reasons:

1) the DL has regressed. No doubt about it
    2) Tucker is a coach, and usually non-performing coaches ( I know... still early, but humor me) are given a longer rope than non-performing players due to their closeness to the people that need to make objective decisions, and those decisions tend to become more subjective than they would like to admit. If Tucker does not get this fixed. I am curious as to how Trestman and Emery will deal with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    They'll either sign Cutler to an extension or they'll tag him. They won't rent another qb. But if he continues to have games like this(he will but if he keeps it to 2-3 games and not against NFCN opponents) he'll get resigned w/no issue. The Bears needed to drop back into the draft and get a real backup though, and this is why, you need a gameplan for life after your starter unless you have the joy of having a special qb (Brees, Manning, Brady); otherwise you end up like the Cowboys and overpay for Romo.
  4. hoth

hoth Veteran

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I learned that the people predicting a division title or 10+ wins really don't know what they're talking about.

what with all these d-line concerns & losses through 4 games, I wish they would've kept Idonije around. He didn't cost too much and his versatility was always an asset.
  5. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have to say it has taken me a long time to come to the conclusion.... but Cutler isn't going to improve beyond what he is now. The guy is thirty and what you see is what you get. He is about like a Matt Schwab... good enough to tease you into thinking he can take the next step.

He will never win us a SuperBowl. He may get us into the playoffs and win a game or two but when it really counts.... he turns the ball over and does so in numbers that radically reduce our chances of winning.
  6. matsellah

matsellah Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,261 / 7 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    God, we suck!

I doubt we'll win any games this season.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    They need to start grooming a QB for the foreseeable future for when Cutler's performance declines; whether it's Blanchard or some other QB they get in the draft, they need to put the pieces in place and the plan in motion.
  8. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yup, I think the OLine minus Gould was the best part of the team today. Everyone else stunk.

That was questionable but all and all I think Long had a decent day today.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    The franchise tag for a QB is something like $15 million. I cant see FTing Cutler for that kind of coin unless it was as a means to get a long term deal done. This year is in effect his franchise tag "prove it" season. I want them to make a decision one way or the other. Either he is the starter for the foreseeable future or he is not the guy to make a deep run with. Either sign him to a multi-year deal or let him walk this winter.

Based on today's crapfest, I'd say he isn't ever going to be anything beyond a B+ but very inconsistent quarterback at best, so draft a young guy, rent a vet for competition/2nd string, and move on. There's no point keeping Cutler around unless he can win repeated division titles and take you deep in the playoffs. I can't see how that possible going forward unless today was an aberration that isn't repeated.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    15 mil for 1 year of Cutler is still better then 8-10 mil you'll pay another "vet retread qb". And it would only be for the year or so it would take to get the next qb up to speed(b/c I don't see them using a 1st or 2nd unless Cutler just completely craps the rest of the season away).

I've been saying that for 3 years, I never bought into the OC, WR's or OL being the SOLE issue. It's always been partly Cutler and today proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Cutlers Eli w/out the playoffs and SB wins, he's Flacco w/out the playoffs and SB, He's Romo and Rivers, pretty good qb's but they have something missing.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Guys like Cassel, Hoyer, etc cost nowhere near $8-10 million. That's what Cutler is making now. It's the difference between "vet manager" money and "possible franchise QB" money. If Emery decides Cutler isn't worth a long term deal and isn't the guy going forward, it would be a total waste to spend $15 million FTing him as a placeholder while a rookie gets up to speed. I'd just let him walk, draft a 2nd rounder, and sign some vet to fill out the depth chart. That wold be way way more economical that FTing an expensive player you have already decided isn't the right guy for your coach to groom going forward.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I agree with your 2nd paragraph completely. Cutler melts down when his receivers have a few drops or the pass rush starts getting close or Forte gets stuffed a few times. When the rest of the O is "a little off", he compounds it by coughing up picks and fumbles like a cheap whore and missing throws like he's Hellen Keller.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Listening to people here you would think this was the last game of the season. Yes it was atrocious game by Cutty and D line but it's only 1 lose. Time to fix a bunch of stuff.

Cutler was never brought here originally to be the super QB like Brady or Manning just be better than what we had at QB. Our D is what keeps the game in check and if the O scores us 30+ points we win. Well guess what that D is looking old now we need Cutler to be Manning or Brady and that's never going to happen. So I hope the D gets fixed fast because if you're going to call doom and gloom at this point that's where Bears have to be good. Having a decent O was just gravy. Now take quick look at ST and Devin is going to be out of Chicago faster than he used to return kickoffs along with Decamillis. Podlesh what happen to my punting distance? A lot of stuff needs fixed and fixed in 1 week. Because we can't be in no shoot out with Brees that just can't happen or we in a whole mess of trouble at that point.

I'll have faith with new coach because that's why Emery brought him here. So I'll go back to my belief it was just a 1 game glitch.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Okay Cassel is making just under 4 mill, Hoyer is 1.97, and neither should ever see the likes of a Bears Uniform. If the team is really going to go a different direction for Cutler next year(I just don't see that happening) then it should be w/a 1st or 2nd round rookie.

But this is one game, I'm not willing to end Cutlers career in Chicago over 1 game in a season where he's been average to above average in 3 others.
  15. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This is actually a legitimate option Ric. Because the truth is, this next draft just may have to be one dedicated to upgrading our defensive personnel. They may have to bring that Cutler Clown back for one more year just to buy this defense a little time. And that could ultimately be a move that benefits the franchise in the long run.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß

I kinda disagree, Cutler was brought in here to be the franchise qb that would end the qb carossel, that's why the team traded 2 firsts and a 3rd for him and a 4th. They didn't expect HoF or anything, but they did expect better then they have gotten in return.

but ya this is one bad game in 4, although it's a laughably bad game, it's hardly a point where Emery is now looking in the draft for the future no questions asked.
  17. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Jay isn't going anywhere and his career won't be decided on one game but I hope Emery IS looking at all of the QB talent available next year. That is Phil's (and his staffs) job and we are not wedded to Cutler for another 4 years yet. Another reason having McClown around is that he offers no competition. No one is pushing to replace Cutler to keep him honest.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    and that is the biggest problem w/no talent vet retreds like McClown, Cutler hasn't played so well as to deserve that kind of treatment, he is not Brees, Brady or Manning, hell he's not Flacco or Eli. The team should have found someone that could push him if he didn't up his game drastically.
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Guess who is the 2nd best Bears QB ever in ratings?
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I'm not writing off Cutler (for the future beyond this season) just yet. But you're kidding yourself if Emery & Trestman aren't having some serious thoughts right now about him--serious negative thoughts. Stafford is years younger than #6 and he wasn't sharp either. Left some big plays out there and finished with pedestrian stats. But he didn't do what Jay did. He didn't MELT DOWN and hand the game over. Cutler did. E & T saw that. And if they keep seeing it--the problems aren't new and Jay went right back to doing the very things Trestman has been trying to coach out of him--I hope they're courageous enough to cut their losses and move on in '14.

I hate to call Jay a "head case" but I don't know what else to say about a guy whose head seems to disappear up his ass all too often.
    • Like Like x 1