Chi v Det what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Sep 29, 2013.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

I have no problem with them replacing him however, that next guy just better be damn good I don't want to go through more Grossmans and McNowns.
  2. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

When the Bears best QB prior to him was McMahon, that is hardly anything to be hoisting up. Shit Erik Kramer was more efficient and protective of the ball than Cutler.
  3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Cutler is turning into a Grossman with the ridiculous amount of turnovers he's starting to single handedly produce. Worst part is I've never seen a QB, be responsible for turnovers that are returned for TDs, at the rate that Cutler produces.
  4. Moth

Moth

|I'd like to see Tucker start to run his own system, enough of this 'Player run' crap they decided was best. This is 4 games now where they have been getting torched across the board... let the defensive coach do his job and run the defense
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Just speaking for myself DTB, I think the reason I was so disappointed, wasn't because we lost. I knew (and said here all week) that Detroit was going to be a tough team this year. It was HOW we lost that disappointed me so much. Some of the key things that cost us this game are not easy to fix mid-season. That is why I was bitterly disappointed. Not the loss, but how we lost.

1. The OL was actually a bright spot for me. I can see that the OL will improve all season long. I was encouraged, even though they had rough moments in the game.

2. The DL is a big issue. I don't think it gets fixed mid-season due to the fact we simply don't have the horses there who can pull the wagon. It will have to be fixed in the off-season. This is probably as good as it gets for 2013. With a weak DL, our defense is really screwed against the better offenses we will face this year. Prior to this game, I really thought the DL would be OK this year. I was wrong.

3. I was so hoping Trestman could help Cutler to not have "Bad Jay" games anymore. I am OK with bad games. All QB's have them. But this was a re-run of past meltdowns. The kind of failure that keeps teams from winning championships. I was so hoping Jay was going to be our franchise QB. But now I'm not so sure. My gut feeling is this is his last year in a Bears uniform.

4. One unexpected problem was the special teams play. The breakdowns we see now, may be fixable mid-season. I hope so.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68

1) I thought the OL did pretty good considering the front 4 they were up against. A few rough plays but no jailbreaks. The OL was not the cause of this loss. Cutler can't blame them.

2) The DL is definitely not what I want it to be but again it wasn't the decisive factor. We are giving up too many big runs up the middle and the pass rush is still not what it should be but overall the D held Megatron in check, kept Stafford under 300 yards, held them to 2-11 on 3rd down, got 3 takeaways, and was responsible for only 23 points surrendered on the road. All in all, not great but not horrible either. We all knew the D would have to take a step back for the O to advance into modernity. (Shea on the other hand is a bust as a DE and he needs to be moved to LB or traded for a pick)

3) THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM AND ID SAY WE ARE ABOUT TWO MORE "BAD JAYS" AWAY FROM PARTING COMPANY WITH HIM FOR GOOD.

4) The ST play was notable for terrible punting which set up a huge return (aided by bad tackling) but otherwise was fine. Like the D, we all knew there would be a step back here for the sake of the O but I am disappointed Hester has regressed from the nice game he had two weeks ago. I think he's done after this year as well. No doubt we miss Toub and Marinelli. This stuff would be tolerable if the O advanced like it should (see #3). Two garbage touchdowns made the O look way better statistically than it really was today.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. A-11

A-11

I was not able to watch the game today. Waiting until tomorrow.

Sounds like Suh had a good game but the rookies held there own glad to hear it. I'm looking forward to seeing Long and Mills.

Shea... Hmmm, stats suggested he got hurt or something :( One fumble recovery? Ouch.

Thanks for the venting on this thread. I was having withdrawals. Bad new or good news I'm still counting on a good season.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

The rookies got schooled a few times. Long clearly had a tiger by the tail at times and got beat. But overall, they did OK. I believe it was a learning experience that will result in both of them being better. I think the OL will be okay. Slauson had his hands full at times too. Garza actually looked pretty good today. That is a head scratcher.

Shea is a bust. And that's a shame.

The DL just lacks the talent with Melton gone, Pep getting old and just not quite the guy he was in past years, Shea is a bust, and the others are just not going to get it done this year, IMHO.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68

The OL held its own. Anyone who blames the OL is in Cutler-bromance-denial. Shea was around the ball exactly ONCE, when he fell on Pepper's sack-fumble. MIA otherwise. Hate to admit it, but he's a bust and something needs to be done. Move him or trade him for whatever you can get because he's a liability against the run and not doing anything special against the pass either. Before you watch the game, take a QB-nausea pill because you're about to see some classic Bad Jay stuff.
  10. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32

Jay didn't have a large margin of error coming into this season, but after this game, he's got even less now. While it wasn't required of him to play like a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, he just may have to now, especially considering the decline of the defense.
  11. kevperro

kevperro

Shea was put into the wrong spot. He may not be a bust on a 3-4 team but he is in the Bear's scheme. It is the one questionable draft choice from Emery. Our defense has been underfunded the last few years with the hope that it would hold together long enough for us to assemble offensive talent around Cutler. That may have been a bad bet.

It isn't that it is a couple bad games by Cutler. When he starts to go south there is no turning back. He self-destructs and that is the game. There is no way to win a championship with that fault. He can play 4-5 good games with some awesome work in the majority of games but when things start to fall apart... Cutler crumbles and he is unable to overcome his early game struggles. He doesn't have that short memory necessary to be a great QB.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Its the same problems i've been pointing out for weeks now, the only difference is, before we actually WON the games, and our Defense had scored from TOs, so the issues were not as important (nobody cares when you win).

DL gets very little QB pressure. THIS, more than anything is wrecking our Defense. Our D is a finely tuned machine, built for a certain scheme, one that relies entirely on our Front 4 generating Pressure on the QB. Without that pressure, the rest of the D fails. Losing Izzy in the off-season, and Melton in the beginning of the season was huge. Peppers is doing what he can, but it is not enough. McClellin is a wasted draft pick.

Sure, our Defense is great at forcing turnovers and scoring from them, but you can not base a defense solely on this concept and still expect to win games, eventually you will become exposed, as we have just learned.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Bottom line here, is this is a crossroads for Trestman. Actually, crossroads is too strong... more like a defining moment. The man is not stupid. He has seen the DL in action prior to this. He has seen our inability to dominate (not all teams can, so not to get too excited about), he knows Cutlers tendencies. So now the factors have come together to cost us a game. Against a team that is in our division, and now has the tie-breaker on us.

I want to see what he does and how the team reacts to whatever he does. Just as Trestman is testing the team, I think the team and the fans are still testing Trestman. I think he is a good coach. I really want to see what happens now.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68

I'm interested in how he handles it too. Specifically with regard to the most important player which is Cutler. We won't see what happens behind closed doors of course and he can't control the reaction but there needs to be a serious sit-down with Cutler. The Bad Jay act is unacceptable and he needs to be made aware that its get with the coaching program or pack your bags.
  15. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

I expect nothing but a win next week against the Saints. If the Bears can't deliver then we might be in for a long season fellas. I've said all along. We'll either go 12-4 or 6-10, simply because this team has undergone a serious overhaul and is in serious transition with a new coaching staff and philosophy.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

Just found this out, didn't notice it during the game, and since I was at a restaraunt, I didn't get the gamecast; Paea was moved from NT to DT and Collins to NT; that might well be the reason that Bush had as good of a game as he had. In that regard, I do blame Tucker. Paea is not going to penatrate and get to the QB, he IS really good at standing his ground and eating up space/stopping the run. Collins needs to be DT and Paea needs to stay at NT.

According to Alex Brown the D is reaching when complaining about Izzy calling out plays; said Izzy had nothing to do w/the team missing tackles.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear

If Tucker thought he was being smart with switching Collins and Paea his run as D coach will be short lived. I'm continually underwhelmed by Podlesh, could have saved coin going w/someone else. Rough game but think that Trestman will adjust and Jay will smooth back out. Still think the season will hinge on the D finding itself along w/the pass rush.
  18. Wolfman

Wolfman

I learned the first 3 games gave me something I thought was long lost...faith...even going into the 4th yesterday, still thought that maybe there was a chance...in years past in a game like this, I would have known we were done by halftime...even with all the bad play and the one-sided score, I never felt this team gave up...everyone loses games, and right now, this is just a loss, nothing more...but then again, my expectations for this season were pretty limited...and so far those expectations have been met or exceeded...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

The DL sucked. Plain and simple. Not enough pressure on Stafford. They gotta start putting some serious pressure on the QB, hopefully it will start next Sunday, I wanna see Brees be as much on his back as Cutler were yesterday.
    Cutler sucked. So many throws were under or overthrown. This is just not top dog level.
    Our redzone sucked. Cmon man! They can do better.
    Our 3rd down conversion sucked. The numbers speak for themselves.
    LB corpse didn't do anything special.
    Unlike Vikings we had big really trouble against the run game.
    Megatron still not a big factor against the Bears. Keep it that way.

Jeffery had a somewhat nice game. Hope to see even more improvement next week.

Overall disapointting lose. I did have a gut feeling we would lose but not this way. This was like watching us play against the Packers. But let's not all jump on the sky is falling. 3-1 is a great start just like last season, now it's time to get back watch some tapes and get ready for the Saints.
  20. Tarkus

Tarkus

Some Bear Fans just need to relax...

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2