Chi v GB what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 5, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    Scoring drives for the Bears:
    30, 40, 30(Bears 30), 1 and 11. So 3 of the Bears scores came b/c of good field position, and that's not including the one that didn't get b/c of the Pepp int. So I'd say the D and ST's did a solid job giving the Bears O good field position.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    Jesus, Ric who cares that his completion percentage was barely above 50%? I don't. And no one should.
    First of all, there were 4-5 drops that should have been caught. And more importantly, he was smart enough to throw the ball away rather than risk a pick which would have lost the game (plenty of chances for that).

Trestman deserves a lot of credit for calling a good game but damn McCown has now thrown for almost 500 yards in 6 quarters without a pick and executed the offense as well as you could ask any 2nd stringer to do.

Just man up and admit you were wrong, it's ok to be wrong. Heck I thought we would lose 31-13 and I love being wrong.

Would you rather have had Seneca Wallace???? Good call by Emery to keep JM.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    483ß
    I learned that for the first time in 2+ years it's safe to wear the Away Urlacher jersey to watch the game. You're welcome.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +584 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    289ß
    I learned that I did not make my typical packer/bear wager with cheeseheads and now I regret it. The good news is that the packerfans won't be saying much to me today.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I learned that i sure am missing old Pep, we got a preview today and boy was it sweet
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    What part of he did GOOD don't you understand MP? That doesn't make him above criticism.

Comp% in today's NFL screams about the quality of the qb, it's easier then ever for a qb to complete a pass in the nfl b/c of the rules, of the 65 qb's that have thrown passes this year, only 24 are under 60%, and 13 are under 55%. That's what we are talking about 13 of 65 guys throwing 50% comp % puts you in the bottom 2% of qb's that have thrown passes. To be fair he's actually at 59%(b/c he played out of his mind in Wash), that's still bottom 32%, it's not good company. He's thrown 3 td's in 2 games(essentially) that's not exactly lighting the world on fire and not exactly against world beaters on D.

Trestman deserves infinite amounts of credit for turning a guy like McCown into something respectable, but there have been, and is talk, of letting Cutler rest(I said it in chat jokingly) another few weeks, that's absurd, McCown is not the reason we let Cutler rest, when he's healthy he needs to be playing, if that's next week or the week after that's when Cutler should be back.

I think the biggest thing this games showed, is that this O is meant to be run w/shorter to medium passes w/a few downfield shots to keep the D honest. It might well be that Cutler is to aggressive, hopefully he'll sit down w/Tresty and McCown and breakdown the film and see it for himself.

4th don't feel bad, this game is 100% if Rodgers doesn't go down on the first play of the drive. If Cutty and Rodgers are back the 2nd time around though, ya feel free to make those bets from here on out. Trestman showed he's capable of running w/GB.

Amiljan Ya that extended break sure did seem to help him, and Shea, and really the entire D.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4687790/rush-improves-still-work-to-do

Bears' rush improves, still work to do
    November, 5, 2013

By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Osi Umenyiora's six-sack performance against the Philadelphia Eagles in 2007 stays forever burned into the memory of Chicago Bears defensive end Corey Woottonas reminder of a cliché he's uttered a few times this season -- that sacks come in bunches.

“I think I said to you before about the Osi Umenyiora thing, when in one game he had (six) sacks,” Wootton said Monday night, after the Bears' 27-20 win over the Green Bay Packers. “It just changes your perspective. You don't always get a sack. Sometimes production is in spurts. So the biggest thing is to believe in yourself and be confident. Eventually it's gonna happen.”

In Chicago's case, it would take place five times. The charge was led by second-year defensive end Shea McClellin, who racked up a career-high three sacks including one that put Aaron Rodgers out with a shoulder injury that might affect his availability in the coming weeks as the NFC North gears up for the November playoff push.

McClellin joked about eating Wheaties before the game. But the truth is the defense needed some sort boost. Coming into the contest, the Bears ranked 24th or worse in four defensive categories (points allowed, total defense, rushing defense and passing defense) and six individual players around the league had collected as many sacks, if not more, than the nine by the entire Bears' team.

With three career sacks entering Monday's game, McClellin hadn't contributed more than a half sack since the season opener against Cincinnati. Prior to Monday night, the Bears hadn't produced two sacks or more in a game this season since a Sept. 22 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. The win over Green Bay marked just the second time they've done that all season.

McClellin admitted the criticism he's heard has made his season “like a roller coaster,” that has caused him to be “up and down."

“But you've just got to not worry about the past, and move on to the next game,” McClellin said. “We've definitely felt some pressure on us. We needed a game like this where we kind of stepped up. It was a team win.”

A team win with plenty of warts. Chicago's run defense allowed the Packers to gain 199 yards with a 6.9-yard average per rush. Rookie Eddie Lacy pounded the Bears for 150 yards and a touchdown on 22 attempts.

As Wootton mentioned, “We still have a lot to work on in the run game, a lot of room for improvement.” Even what seemed like an improved pass rush, while encouraging, could be somewhat of a mirage.

After all, the Packers lost right guard T.J. Lang due to a concussion. That injury forced the team to move starting right tackle Don Barclay inside to Lang's guard position, and backupMarshall Newhouse came in to play the right tackle spot. Not surprisingly, the Bears expressed no sympathy for Green Bay's plight.

As many as three players mentioned that “injuries happen in this league,” something they know well, having lost four starters for the season, with six total missing time.

Even Julius Peppers, who has also drawn heavy criticism for his play this season, made an impact with two tackles, a sack, an interception and two pass breakups. Peppers entered Monday's game with one sack on the year.

“We just played as a team and pulled together,” Peppers said. “We made plays, and we had good energy out there. It was a great effort by not only the defense, but the whole team.”

Still on defense, the Bears know they need to play better. The performance on the road against the Green Bay Packers serves as a start, but the Bears host the Detroit Lions on Sunday at Soldier Field in a game that will decide sole possession of first place in the NFC North.

“We have a long road ahead,” Bears coach Marc Trestman said. “It doesn't mean much right now. We still need to get better.”

So getting off the topic of qb play. Something that many have fought Henry and I this past 2 weeks about was the D and how bad they are and how this team could protect them. I multiple times said that a O that was off to a fast start that held the ball for long drives would protect this D and keep them fresh for the game, they would still be pretty shitty, but the best way to make the D look good was to keep them off the field....low and behold, the D had it's best game(thanks to no rodgers and a beat up OL) and still looked bad in the process. BUT the O held ToP w/33 min's....and the team had several 3-4 min drives in the 1st half, and capped off the game w/a 9 min drive, wanna know how this team will and can win; keep the D off the field, and yes WHEN the O has long drives matters. They sputtered in the 3rd, and the bad D reared it's ugly head, but it never looked gassed or worn out last night.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4687768/locker-room-buzz-chicago-bears-7

Locker Room Buzz: Chicago Bears
    November, 5, 2013
    NOV 5
    1:05
    AM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com
    GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Observed in the locker room after the Chicago Bears' 27-20 win over theGreen Bay Packers:

McClellin ribbed: “Three sacks bro,” Zach Minter and David Bass joked repeatedly as second-year defensive end Shea McClelllin attempted to speak to the media after a career day in which he posted a career-high three sacks. McClellin knocked quarterback Aaron Rodgers out of the game in the first quarter, and said that while “I wish him a speedy recovery, stuff happens.”

Coming into Monday night's game McClellin had 3 career sacks, before matching that number against the Packers.

More ribbing: Rookie middle linebacker Jonathan Bostic sports a long goatee, and as he stood in front of his locker, fellow rookie Kyle Long joked about the facial hair being made of Velcro.

Meanwhile veteran linebacker James Anderson said Bostic played well “by the hair on his chinny chin chin.”

Bostic finished the game with four tackles, and spent some time after the game speaking with Anderson in depth about how to defeat blocks from centers. Anderson to Bostic explained the importance of attacking the edge of the blocker as opposed to striking him down the middle.

Emery makes the rounds: General manager Phil Emery could be heard saying “it feels good” as he walked through a celebratory locker room patting players on the back headed toward the team's buses.

It's your birthday: Cornerback Tim Jennings strolled through the locker room and alerted anybody within earshot about the 31st birthday of return man Devin Hester. Jennings said he bought Hester a watch for his birthday, and later joked, “Yeah, right.”

Hester racked up 113 return yards on four kickoffs and a punt return. Hester's longest return of the day was a 29-yard kickoff return.

1st things first, happy b-day(day late) to Jennings and Hester, what better of a gift could you have asked for then a win in LF?

Something not being talked about enough, the LB and DB play continued to struggle, even w/an improved(not great even w/5 sacks and an int) DL play. Conte got burned mutliple times on those long runs, and Wrong was flat out of position on one of them, creating a huge gap for a rush down to the goal line. The LB's are and were out of position a lot also, also contributing to those long runs.
  9. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I was in a GB box at the game and they were all talking before the game how Rogers was going to walk all over the Bears and then when Roger went down it turned to is our season over. After there running games started to take off it was back to we are going beat the Bears, I for one was sitting there going come on Bears stay in the game you can win this if we can keep it close.

There is no question we need the Defense to keep making steps forward in the game play.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    FTFY

My thoughts on the night:
    1. Besides the sack (which, honestly, Wallace rolled directly into him), Wooton is obviously NOT a good DT.
    2. There is absolutely NOTHING you can say bad about Peppers and McClellin last night without being full of it. Any time it seemed the Packers wanted to run outside McClellin or Peppers, the defense usually got to the ball quicker, and they combined for 6 sacks, 1 INT and 1 pass deflected (on 3rd down).
    3. Chris Conte was getting some criticism for giving up a few of the big runs, but Major Wright was the one playing close to the LOS. If Major Wright were better, Conte shouldn't have had to be relied upon in that manner.
    4. McCown was very good, for what you could expect of him, as he wasn't throwing the tightest spirals, but he didn't make any Rex Grossman/Jay Cutler type passes.
    5. Trestman outcoached McCarthy.
    6. The Packers lost 3 linebackers, an offensive lineman and a quarterback this game. Looks like they'll be playing for a higher draft pick than us, for sure.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    I was using your own logic against you. That was the point of me saying that. You are talking up the defense being so great shutting down a guy that hasn't played in a couple years. But yes, he's not Aaron G** D*** Rodgers. I would hope they could play Wallace better than Rodgers.

Wallace does not know his team's offense. If they had picked him up earlier, like OTA's, he'd have had a better shot. He's always been a decent backup QB. They gave him no reps or attention and he's had zero time on the team to learn anything. McCown didn't get that attention either, but he's been here the whole year, and Trestman can run his offense through the guy. I liked McCown as a backup here since his time in 2011 and his improbable win against Minnesota. This summer you wanted to replace him with a kid that finally is on someone's practice squad.

Has Kasey Keenan won a game yet? No, he hasn't. Keenan and Glennon are being given a dumbed down baby offense that consists of high probability throws. It was a monumental showing of Keenan to not just crap his pants when he got on the field. Because it was far more likely that he would.

So, for you, you'd rather see McCown have more completions than wins? When he throws behind the line of scrimmage that get us negative yards? That's a positive in your eyes? He threw the ball away on occasion. Trestman called for some low probablity long bombs to spread out the defense so we could have a running game in the second half. And yes, he had some bad passes. He's a backup.

You are missing the big picture. MNF. National stage. Away game against our biggest rival. There are a lot of QBs that would just melt under pressure like that.

And yes, I expected our team to lean on Forte because he's a high caliber RB that is paid very well for his services.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Gruden called it last night. Major Wright is garbage, not Conte. Conte was the last guy to be in position to make many of those tackles, so he was the one that looked bad, but on at least one play, Major Wright went into the wrong gap, allowing a big run. Conte's average at best, but Wright is BAD.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    I'll not defend Major Wrong Henry, but it's not like Conte was great by any stretch. Alex Brown was on the score just a little bit ago, and he was saying if he cannot make those open tackles he should be benched. Those are required by the Safety to make, it doesn't matter that the RB shouldn't have been there, he was and Conte wiffed.

Again I said before the draft that these safeties needed replaced, they aren't that good....and well you saw it today, again. Wrong and Conte need benched/replaced asap, although I doubt it happens this year.
  14. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    Thinking back to the fiasco in 2011 when Cutler was injured, it sure feels good to have two QBs who can run the offense at a high level. I do not want to go backwards, so no matter how well McCown plays, do not even think about letting Cutler go unless he tries to break the bank with his contract demands.
  15. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    They both suck. but Conte is worse. On one of those long TD runs (Lacy, I think) Conte had a clean shot at him and completely whiffed. Our DE's don't cut off end runs worth a damn.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    McCown wasn't really throwing tight spirals last night. He was just executing the game more intelligently than Cutler does, at times.

I think something we learned last night, was that Trestman learned to mix up his running game. Garza is playing way above any realistic expectations for him, but he's still not very good in the run game. If he can get even more creative with his runs (Almost EVERY time they run with Jeffrey, it's for a big gain), we will have a much more diverse offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    au contraire. Major Wright followed one of his own guys through the same gap, allowing Lacy to have a more open field to go against Conte. I'm not saying Conte is anything better than average, but notice how, when the Packers ran to the weak side of the defense, they had less success? That's because Major Wright was playing mostly on the strong side, and the Bears were capable of a lot of "group tackles", which shows that someone was able to at least slow him down. Major Wright wasn't doing that until LATE in the game, but at that point, I wasn't paying much attention to him, so he may not have improved at all.
  18. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    In terms of McCown's completion percentage.... who cares? He protected the ball by throwing it away, something Cutler could learn from.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    You should care that about comp % in todays NFL b/c in todays NFL it's easier then ever to complete a pass. Again, only 2% of qb's that have thrown balls in the NFL this year have thrown for under 55%. Only 32% under 60%. That is a huge number of qb's in the NFL(not just starters) that are completing over 60%.

Only completing 50% of your passes is going to eventually lead to stalled drives, and this D cannot afford for this O to have stalled drives. That is the most important thing we all should have taken out of last night, when the O controls the clock, the D isn't on the field, and that's a good thing, and it's a key for the Bears to win.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I've been arguing this for weeks!!!!!!! UGH!!1111111111111
    • Like Like x 1