Chi v GB what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 5, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Sucking is a relative term,and I already said Conte sucks worse. These guys are supposed to be our last line of defense against long passes and long runs, and they have both been getting burned all season. Wright, for example, blew the tackle on Reggie Bush TD run, AJ Green,etc., etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    472ß
    +1

It's so simple. The team that repeatedly gives away the football to the opponent - loses. I'd rather have a guy throw like McCown did last night, 270 yards and 2 TD's with no ints, - than a guy who can rack up big yardage, but repeatedly gives the ball away to the opponent in big games. McCown protected the football and we won. QB's who can't protect the ball in big games end up breaking our back, and losing games for us. It's not complicated. It's "Football 101" at the NFL level.

And to "keep it real" here, we're talking about our backup QB. I don't expect him to be Brady or Peyton Manning. Just protect the football, toss a few TD's & give us a chance to win.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2011 was a different team, though. We have two new receivers, a new TE, four new linemen, and a coach who might actually know what he's doing on offense. I agree that McCown is much better than Hanie was, but I think that was an unwinnable situation. Hell, last year we saw Campbell look like absolute garbage in the Lovie/Tice offense, and he has a track record as a respectable pro QB.

And yeah, I don't think a 34 year-old backup is going to have any impact on them keeping or losing Cutler. Jay's play upon return will dictate that. He he asks for too much money, and I don't think he will, they would just franchise him and draft a QB.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,713 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    We both have, and no one is recognizing how important it is.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Major Wright's job is being "the 8th man in the box", and he's completely worthless as it. Conte isn't that bad.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,713 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    Henry, I agree Wright is worse, but that doesn't desolve Conte from being bad, again Alex Brown said he should be benched if he cannot learn to tackle in the open field.
  7. hoth

hoth Veteran

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    loved what i saw out of the qb last night.
    loved it last week too.
    hope he gets one more game. he's looked like a new man under this staff.
    Peppers.....is still alive.
    Some guy I've never noticed before knocked Rodgers outta the game last night. Probably the single play that most determined the outcome. Sign me up for more of that.

150 yards for Reggie Bush next week?

what a weird way to get to 5-3.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Not absolving him, but, what I'm trying to imply is, "If we had to keep one, and get rid of the other", we'd have to get rid of Wright. He should either come back cheap, or go to FA.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,713 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    1/2 way point of the year lets take a look at some guys:

Forte 900+ total yards and 7 TD's, he's been revitalized in this O
    Marshal 647 yards and 6tds
    Jeffery 623 yards and 3td's
    DaBU 392 yards and 4td's.

This team really could well get 2 1K yard WR's and have Forte near 1500 total yards.
  10. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    I would have benched Conte already. Yeah, I know coaches are gods and never make mistakes, so spare me that speech, but I would put somebody else in there to prove he's worse than Conte. I am sick of watching him show up late and then miss the tackle.
  11. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    I think many us relies and appreciate the importance of completion %...but given the small sample size (barely 2 games), its way too damn early to declare McCown actually has a problem in that department....focusing on his comp % at this point seems more like sour grapes then objective analysis....

edit: his Passing First Down Percentage is 39.3%...4th best in the whole league...aren't statistics fun! Of course, with such a small sample size that means next to nothing as well...
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    David,

Just like with the Ends we've discussed ad nauseum, the problem is they would be dumpster diving. That is not a promising solution.

Taking a chance on Ratliff "might" be, (especially if he can put Wooton back where he belongs) but an average player is an average player in the NFL. You don't think the staff has tried Walters, Steitz, or thought about Bowman or McManis? That is what practice and all the camps before the season starts are for. The staff has too much to do to get everyone ready for next week. If you're making a personnel change it has to have the possibility of a high upside and a decent chance of success realizing it.

As the rookies and new Bears do better at LB it should help cover for some of the Safety play. The LBs and DBs did a underrated job of filling the edges of that hole last year. The FO did a good job addressing other issues last off season, I would think the Safety's will eventually be dealt with if things don't get better in a hurry.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    and P.S.:
    Yes, McCown is a good backup. Yes, he could stand to improve his completion %. And yes, some of the choices he made to protect the football lowered his completion rate...

The answer to the big question is not a 34 year old journey man who I thought deserved the game ball last night.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,713 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    But it goes w/his history Wolf, Wash he ha da 70% that's huge but THAT's a small smaple size, his entire career he's been a 50% comp guy, and even w/Trestmans help, and a stud RB and 2 stud WR's he's still a 50% completion guy. So it's not a small sample size.
  15. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Past history is not an indicator of future results...however if you throw out this year and 2009 ( 6 whole atts) and 2002 (his rookie year w/18 atts in 2 lost cause game appearances), his comp % is 59.34%...looks more like a career 60% comp guy to me...
  16. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Yada, yada,yada. Some guys are "gamers" and some are not. You don't KNOW how a guy is going to play until you get him on the field in the pressure of real-game situations. I don't give a crap how great a guy looks in practice, if it doesn't translate into on-field performance, then try the back-up. I guess I can relate to this from my own experience in athletics. I got "up" for games more than for practice, so if you only saw me in practice, you would under-estimate how well I can play in games with adrenalin pumping and crowd cheering. Players react differently in these situations, and no coach can predict with 100% accuracy until you see them on the field. Again. I would not be pushing for changes if our defense were not among the worst in the NFL.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,713 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    Past history isn't? Hell lets get Rex and Orton back here then. hell while we're at it lets bring in Tebow...one is bound to reserect their careers b/c well past doesn't matter. Hey lets bring back Bauzine and Okwo, maybe they'll be better this time around, b/c well your past doesn't matter.....wth?
    These guys aren't stocks, they are players, and ya what they've done in the past matters.

And btw, 60% isn't bad, but in today's NFL that still puts you at the bottom 32% of the league...it's not good enough anymore. This is not the 60's-90's where qb's and wr's feared for their lives, the new nfl allows qb's and wr's to feel very comfortable now compared to back then in today's NFL you're okay guys are in the 61 to 65% range, you're really damn good ones are in the 70% range.

I'm not asking for McCown to throw 70% of his passes, but feel free to not be 50%. ever.
  18. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Just as what they do outside their stats matters...50% comp rate on its own, in one games, doesn't really tell you anything about anything....

Which is why he's a backup...so far, he's doing very okay...which is very much better than most us probably expected...

Unrealistic and ridiculous standard... the best.. even HOF QBs, have sub 50% games....
  19. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Ric, I am talking mostly about untried rookies, not old-timers like Rex and Orton.
  20. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The point you make about "gamers" and grading out well in "practice" is valid. I'm sure you read Biggs 10 thoughts, but here is the take on Safetys:

Some players just play the game better. Adrenalin, crowd cheering, playing... all that. Players are lost in the shadows in backup roles all the time. We can argue all day David. However, I believe you're better off using the horses that are already saddled. Time I think can be better used to get those players prepared for the next game.

Coaches try to "simulate" game time during scrimmages and in the preseason (as close as they can get anyways). It is the backups role to be ready to step up for injury, practice their plays, and to improve to the point where they are grading out better.

Everyone that is active for a game has plays meant to be played. Making the best of those opportunities when/if given is all I would be willing to sacrifice. Trestman might be able to get use out of a dog kennel (the side benefit being more opportunities) but so far I have not seen it used. I agree with Marc but can see points to be had on both sides.

I have the opinion that you're better off trusting the practice grades, past history, and freshest tape, even in desperate times. Confidence is everybody’s issue and it can be tricky when you start changing your opinions on who are the best horses.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013