Chi v GB what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 5, 2013.

1. matsellah

matsellah Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,265 / 7 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah, I'll just drop this here...

2. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    McCown played the best as a QB in Green Bay since Rex Grassman in 2006. Remember than game? I believe we opened the season in GB and Hester ran his first one back.
  3. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    He won the freaking game. He managed (with big help from Oline & Forte) to keep drives alive. He completed some killer passes under pressure. He DIDN'T turn the ball over! We beat the Fudge Packers IN GB!

Why are we nit-picking his stats when our backup QB delivered better than any of us had a right to expect and at a time when we really needed a win.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. dinwitty

dinwitty Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That long time killing drive was the Bears 85, Bears 85 constantly drove slowly upfield, killed the clock and scored keeping the opposition offense off the field.
    So often the fast score fast throws get downfield fast isnt the way to go. Today football is much differrent than 85 so you have to work your plays different, but it worked here.
    I was listening to some sport chat on the radio and some folks kinda trashed the win about how they won the game saying we didnt beat Aaron Rodgers, we beat the backup quarterback....erm...eh, guys... WE BEAT AARON! (don't take that so literally, it was a clean sack he landed the way he did) Regardless we may see him again when GB hits Soldier field, so it'll be a good test, he will certainly look for revenge, so that game surely is going to be a big game to watch. If Aaron was not injured anyways I bet he would have gotten sacked over and over, he's been one of the most sacked QBs around.
    I say Aaron or not Bears woulda won, and they did anyways, a win is a win, thats football. Bears are a differrent team from last year lets hope it picks up. Remember 2 years ago we didnt think GB was in it and they came out and won the superbowl, Bears could do just the same. Will be an interesting year.
  5. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    What I learned:
    Trestman is the real deal. Nice play calling, made McCown look like guy who could be a starter in the league.
    Packers will probably not win the division my favorites to win NFC-N is now Lions.
    The passrush is there granted the Packers Oline isn't the best it was still there. Going to be interesting howthey will play against Lions who imo has a better Oline.
    Shea.. there you are! How nice of you to show up 1 and a half year into your career! I really hope this will improve his confident and start to become the player Emery thought he would be.
    Remember the Bengals game when our defensive players couldn't tackle? Yea half way into the season they still can't, gotta work on that.
    Bears for the first time played 4 quarters of good offensive football and the reward is beating Packers at LF.
    I fucking love Marshall and Jeffery!
    The Bears did not allow one single sack, HUUUUUGE improvment since they last played at LF. Would really love to see how the Oline handles a Packers defense with Clay.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    McCown did a good job in that game. As far as the completion percent argument goes, if it suffers due to him throwing the ball away when no one's open, I can live with that. I'd rather have a smart QB that protects the ball than a reckless one that throws into double and triple coverage, risking a pick, or worse, a pick-6.
  7. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    still, there were plays we all could see why Josh is only a backup and nothing more.

Great game for Shea. That was Emerys plan all the way. Take out Rodgers
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Good post ZifanQ

Agreed Trestman is the man.
    I would never just bury the Packers but it doesn't look good, nor would I bank on the Lions, until otherwise proven they are still the lions
    I agree, I'm not sure what to take out of this, Rodgers has always taken a lot of hits, and that OL is not good, same w/Shea lets see if this was just the start of something good to come, or the product of facing a bad OL after the team had time to rest and prepare b/c of a bye week.
    Ya tackling is bad, but people keep referencing an article that says the Bears always start off slow and get better, we can only hope. I think you are seeing some of the problem of the new CBA though, the players cannot practice tackling, and now you see the results.
    Well 3 qtrs, 3rd was a bit wobbly, but ya the team definately played some of it's best ball Monday
    Interesting thing about Marshal and Jeffery, they are ranked 1st and 5th for blocking by WR's. The only other WR you have heard of in the top 5 is Heyward-Bey. So why they don't catch as many targets as they probably should, they more then make up for it in being great blockers for a #1 and 2 WR.
    Ya the OL is doing really well, and when the WR gets rid of the ball quickly he doesn't tend to get hit.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We learned that we got a feel good moment from a win that was gift wrapped by a Rodgers injury, a rusty Tin Man Wallace performance, & a strange heavy cushioned Capers pass D against a soft armed McCown.

Still want to bask in the glow of a win while not diminishing a lot of great moments by certain players, especially McCown, but by Wednesday, reality set back in.

We're still a train wreck waiting to happen...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I doubt you Tarkus.

I think we can... I think we can...
    [​IMG]
  11. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You wouldn't be the 1st... ;)
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Ric, you went apeshit in preseason when McCown was re-signed and made the team. Despite him costing 1/3rd of what Jason Campbell did, having well-known rapport with Cutler, and having actually WON a game as a backup in a Bears uni. You repeatedly said and I quote:
    "McCown isn't NFL worthy. Should be out of the league."

WRONG

I know you blanket-hate the concept of vet backups and often they flop or prove too costly. And certainly Trestman deserves a lot of credit in prepping him. But McC has proven to be a smart QB, who knows this offense well, has the respect of the team for his leadership, and has become a stellar decision to retain. Turns out, he isn't a star obviously, but he is more than NFL WORTHY.

In 6 quarters: 500+ total yards, 3 TDs, and ZERO turnovers. He would also be 2-0 if the Bears defense could have made one single stop late in the Washington game.

Many teams' starters can't match that. There is nothing more you could ask your backup to do.
  13. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    sometimes i feel like members of this board take notes and just wait when someone is proven wrong, does it matter?!
    if we all felt the same this would be some boring page...
  14. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    It's how we determine who is winning the Interweb....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    To be fair... McCown is four years + older than both Trent Edwards and Jordan Palmer.
    Those two guys seemed like better than camp arms during preseason, and I would have considered both to fill Josh's role and was a little disappointed myself at the time. I think his relationship with Cutler went a long ways towards his resigning.

The other thing is... I don't think Ric is as down on McCown right now as made out to be. 50% completion rate is NOT good enough to sustain success IMO. It is an area for improvement, relax everyone can improve. I'm not saying Josh played bad, a lot of that had to do with protecting the football which is/was the bigger priority.

Hell, just more first string reps, more game time, bigger sample size should increase the completion rates.
    The point was it needs to improve. Valid point. It is just more important that it does not take away from the good things that greatly helped win the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    I was just thinking to myself about the McCown 50% completion rate - and the fact that I probably have a similar rate of being "right" on this board. I'll probably get replaced, like MCown :-(
    • Like Like x 1
  17. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    While we're busy nattering about that 50% completion rate, we should also consider this. The one thing I noticed McCown do consistently throughout the game when throwing an incompletion -- he threw the ball where only the receiver would have a chance at it. I can only think of a couple of plays where the defender had the best chance.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    JABF, dont worry, McCown may be old but still usable! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    I noticed that too. And I've noticed Cutler doing better in this area also. It makes me think Trestman is improving both of these QB's & they're listening to him.
  20. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    that is the thing i like the most about Josh - judgement, I know you guys are gonna (maybe) slaughter me here, but I think Jay wouldnt have such good judgement vs GB. Ball security!