Chi v GB what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    You wouldn't be the 1st... ;)

2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,045ß
    Ratings:
    +1,956 / 2 / -0
    Ric, you went apeshit in preseason when McCown was re-signed and made the team. Despite him costing 1/3rd of what Jason Campbell did, having well-known rapport with Cutler, and having actually WON a game as a backup in a Bears uni. You repeatedly said and I quote:
    "McCown isn't NFL worthy. Should be out of the league."

WRONG

I know you blanket-hate the concept of vet backups and often they flop or prove too costly. And certainly Trestman deserves a lot of credit in prepping him. But McC has proven to be a smart QB, who knows this offense well, has the respect of the team for his leadership, and has become a stellar decision to retain. Turns out, he isn't a star obviously, but he is more than NFL WORTHY.

In 6 quarters: 500+ total yards, 3 TDs, and ZERO turnovers. He would also be 2-0 if the Bears defense could have made one single stop late in the Washington game.

Many teams' starters can't match that. There is nothing more you could ask your backup to do.

3. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    624ß
    Ratings:
    +540 / 0 / -0
    sometimes i feel like members of this board take notes and just wait when someone is proven wrong, does it matter?!
    if we all felt the same this would be some boring page...

4. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Ratings:
    +1,868 / 10 / -4
    It's how we determine who is winning the Interweb....

• Like Like x 1
  5. A-11

A-11 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    To be fair... McCown is four years + older than both Trent Edwards and Jordan Palmer.
    Those two guys seemed like better than camp arms during preseason, and I would have considered both to fill Josh's role and was a little disappointed myself at the time. I think his relationship with Cutler went a long ways towards his resigning.

The other thing is... I don't think Ric is as down on McCown right now as made out to be. 50% completion rate is NOT good enough to sustain success IMO. It is an area for improvement, relax everyone can improve. I'm not saying Josh played bad, a lot of that had to do with protecting the football which is/was the bigger priority.

Hell, just more first string reps, more game time, bigger sample size should increase the completion rates.
    The point was it needs to improve. Valid point. It is just more important that it does not take away from the good things that greatly helped win the game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,246ß
    Ratings:
    +4,567 / 4 / -1
    I was just thinking to myself about the McCown 50% completion rate - and the fact that I probably have a similar rate of being "right" on this board. I'll probably get replaced, like MCown :-(

• Like Like x 1
  7. billatter

billatter Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    While we're busy nattering about that 50% completion rate, we should also consider this. The one thing I noticed McCown do consistently throughout the game when throwing an incompletion -- he threw the ball where only the receiver would have a chance at it. I can only think of a couple of plays where the defender had the best chance.

• Like Like x 2
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    624ß
    Ratings:
    +540 / 0 / -0
    JABF, dont worry, McCown may be old but still usable! :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,246ß
    Ratings:
    +4,567 / 4 / -1
    I noticed that too. And I've noticed Cutler doing better in this area also. It makes me think Trestman is improving both of these QB's & they're listening to him.

10. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    624ß
    Ratings:
    +540 / 0 / -0
    that is the thing i like the most about Josh - judgement, I know you guys are gonna (maybe) slaughter me here, but I think Jay wouldnt have such good judgement vs GB. Ball security!