Chi v NY what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 10, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Ugh, only thing I really learned is that Thurs night football sucks, last week no D, this week no D and limited O.

Chicago O: This is the JC we need to see every week, smart, clean quick passes throwing to who is open. Did he even get sacked, sure didn't seem like it. Forte ran okay, not a lot of holes opened up for him, and teams are starting to scheme for the toss. Jeffrey missed a pass deep, daBU had a few good catches but this game was about BMarsh and he made it happen. Oh, and before I forget, give it up for TFiametta, huge 30 yard pass play, longest of his career.

Chicago D: yikes, if that is not one of the most turn over prone qb's this year they are facing this is a flat F, even w/3 picks I'm only giving it a D-. You just made Jacobs look like an all pro, not a guy sitting on his coach a few weeks ago. Against that awful OL you only managed 1 sack....sigh....For all those wanting more Bostic, you got him; and it wasn't very good. There is a reason DJ is out there right now; btw, another inj, I really hope DJ is okay. W/no Tillman this team is really hurting at DB.

Chicago ST's: had an okay game, Punting was better, Kick off was not so good, Gould hit a nice FG, Hester broke a record....pretty standard.

Chicago Coaches: On O they came out far more agressive, and had a decent 1st half, but had a bad 2nd, still looking for a complete game from this team. On D, I know the loss of Tillman and Melton and Collins hurts, but man it's hard to find good in what was going on out there.

NYG O: wow bad Eli is worse then bad Romo or Cutler. But they were able to keep it close w/good weapons.

NYG D: that D isn't very good, but the Bears O didn't seem to feel the need to try and put them away either.

NYG ST: had a few nice returns, but the rest of it was pretty unimpressive, notice when it was game time they didn't want to let Hester have the ball?

NYG coaches: that's a good staff, and they had their team ready in a short week; could the game have been different in the 4th if both their RB's weren't hurt? Did anyone else notice that down by 10 they didn't abandon the run?
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4687009/rapid-reaction-chicago-bears-2

OCT 10
    11:26PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com
    CHICAGO -- A few thoughts on the Chicago Bears' 27-21 victory over the New York Giantson Thursday night at Soldier Field.

What it means: The Bears snapped a two-game skid, putting them in prime position to move to 5-2 at the bye if they handle business next Sunday against the Redskins.

Stock watch: Cornerback Tim Jennings wins the MVP of this game. He put points on the board with a pick-six in the first quarter, and sealed the win with another interception with 1:54 left to play.

Questionable call: Zack Bowman put the Bears in ideal field position when he picked off Eli Manning, who was being pressured by Isaiah Frey on the nickel blitz, and returned the ball 24 yards to the New York 12. Chicago could have taken an early lead less than three minutes into the game, but Bears coach Marc Trestman elected to try to convert a fourth-and-2 from the Giants' 4, with Jay Cutler’s pass falling behind Brandon Marshall, who appeared to have three defenders in the vicinity. Prior to that incompletion, the Bears had converted 80 percent of their fourth-down attempts this season, which represented the best percentage in the NFL. But in that situation -- the team’s first drive of the game -- why not take the three points? Luckily for Chicago, on New York’s ensuing drive, Jennings picked off Manning and returned it 48 yards for a TD to put the Bears up 7-0 after the extra point. The return touchdown marked Jennings’ second of the season.

Marshall erupts: During the NFL Network’s pregame show, Marshall called himself a “caged lion,” in anticipation of New York’s struggling defense. “I want the ball; I want it a lot,” Marshall said. “You go two or three games getting two or three catches, and you look at the defense we’re going against … they have to pay.” They did, and dearly. Marshall, who had expressed frustration about his lack of receptions earlier in the week, caught nine passes for 87 yards and two TDs.

Speaking of pick-sixes: The Bears are now 24-2 in games since 2005 in which they score a defensive touchdown, including 10 consecutive wins under those conditions. It seems unfathomable a team could rely so heavily on turnovers to change the tide of games, but the Bears have proven consistent at it. They’ve got it down to a science.

What’s next: Some much-needed rest for the Bears, who held out Charles Tillman andStephen Paea from this game. They’ll play only one game in the next 24 days: on Oct. 20 when they travel to Washington before the bye.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Bears intercept Eli Manning three times, keep Giants winless

Bears Hold Off Giants
    The Bears beat the Giants 27-21 to hand New York its sixth straight loss of the season.
    CHICAGO -- Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall were simply too much to handle. So was Tim Jennings.

Cutler threw two touchdown passes to Marshall, and Jennings had two of the Chicago Bears' three interceptions against Eli Manning in a 27-21 victory over the winless New York Giants on Thursday night.

The Bears (4-2) snapped a two-game slide following a 3-0 start. New York is 0-6 for the first time since the 1976 team dropped its first nine, a stunning turn for a franchise that won the Super Bowl two years ago.

Cutler and Marshall were in tune early on, connecting for two touchdowns, and Jennings returned an interception 48 yards for a score as Chicago built a 24-14 halftime lead.

The Bears were up by 13 when New York'sBrandon Jacobs ran it in from the 1 in the closing seconds of the third after Jennings got called for interference against Hakeem Nicks near the goal line. That cut it to 27-21, but Jennings made up for it in a big way when he picked off an overthrown pass by Manning intended for tight end Brandon Myers at the 12 with 1:54 left in the game.

Cutler was 24 of 36 for 262 yards after throwing for 358 against New Orleans last week. Marshall played a huge role in this one after venting over a lack of catches against the Saints, finishing with nine receptions for 87 yards. Martellus Bennett had 68 yards on six catches against his former team, while Alshon Jeffery had just one reception after going off for a franchise-record 218 yards in the previous game.

The Giants lost to the Bears to move to 0-6. When will they finally win? Should they even try anymore? Vote »

Robbie Gould kicked two field goals, including a 52-yarder in the third quarter that gave him 12 straight conversions from 50 or longer, and the Bears eased at least a few nerves, even if this win came against one of the NFL's four winless teams

The Giants came in clinging to the idea that they could claw their way back into the NFC East race because every team in the division has a losing record. It's hard to see that happening, the way they're playing.

Manning, the owner of two championship rings, completed 14 of 26 passes for 239 yards and a touchdown, but he ran his league-leading total to 15 interceptions while matching last season's number. He had passes picked off on the first two possessions, with Jennings' 48-yard TD coming on the second one.

Rueben Randle had 75 yards receiving and a touchdown for New York. Jacobs, starting for the injured David Wilson, ran for 106 yards and two scores.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press
  4. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    This was a much needed win for the Bears. Cutler played mistake-free football tonight and didn't take any unnecessary risks. If he keeps this up, perhaps there's some hope that "Bad Jay" can be exorcised.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I learned that...

Jay Cutler can be smart. One mistake there and we lose. He played well and resisted the temptation to make dumb mistakes. Good Jay >>>> Bad Jay. Keep it up.

The Bears D is a hot mess right now and Pep is in his final year with the team.

Shea needs to be off the DL immediately. Trade him, make him a LB, or cut him next year. He's done as a DE.

The Bears O still hasn't played a real 4 quarter game. Alshon back to earth...he missed some plays. 3 points in the last 30 minutes...really???

Trestman's play calling was better (and way better than we had in prior years) but still leaves me shaking my head every now and then. Tucker is a far far cry from Lovie/HotRod as a DC.

The Giants had horseshoes up their ass all 2nd half. They were very lucky to be close enough to win at the end. That doesn't excuse the Bears failure to score pints in the second half though.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. tey216

tey216 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I learned that we no longer have the players to play a Cover 2 defense...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    Our DE's are horrible. Peppers was shutout again. He has gone two games in a row with zero tackles, assists, or sacks. Giants ran over McClellin all night. He simply cannot get off a block. Activate CornWash,damn it!

Offense was very good in first half, but failed to put the game away in second half. Great to see Cutler throw the ball away instead of forcing passes into covered receivers. I hope this continues.

It is clear that the offense is going to have to carry this team.
  8. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Pendulum seems to have had a fresh push. We want to dominate yeah, but you're going to have to see change before it happens. Tonight was the same ole stuff.

D is not horrible, just down. O has some key improvements but not on point yet.

It was a win, and thankfully we have a couple extra days and a bye coming up. Time to install phase 2.
  9. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    Most over used phrases in NFL talk:

'what we learned'

'breaking down'

I blame NFL.com for its faux-intellectual drivel. Drives me mad!

anyway, as you were....
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +531 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    184ß
    I learned that I am having problems staying up past 9:00 lately. It could be that I am getting old or starting work every morning at 4:30 could be the problem.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    DJ, I think we all saw had 2 inj's, a shoulder and chest, more worisome though, Jamal Anderson was also hurt w/a back inj. 3 inj's to the starting/backup interior DL, and now 2 inj's(possible) to the starting lb's, and Tillman was out. Lord the D might not have enough bodies to field a team by the end of the year.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/10/11...in-but-didnt-show-improvement/aklurx9/?page=2

Hub Arkush: Bears get a win, but didn't show improvement
    By HUB ARKUSH - harkush@shawmedia.com - Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:59 p.m. CDT

Robbie Gould is really good.
    Other than that, it was impossible to determine whether what we watched at Soldier Field Thursday night was just really bad football, or the Bears playing down to the level of the opposition.
    So let's start with what matters. As I've said 1,000 times before, there are no style points in the NFL. The Bears badly needed a win to halt a two-game losing streak and retain at least a piece of first place in the NFC North. Mission accomplished.
    Even with Charles Tillman out for the first time since 2009, Bears cornerbacks continued to do what they do best and were the difference in the game.
    On the opening possession, Eli Manning ran just two plays before he managed to find Zack Bowman in relief of Tillman wide open at the Giants' 36 and threw him the interception. Bowman returned it 24 yards to the Giants' 12. But the Bears managed just eight yards on four plays, going for it on fourth-and-2 at the Giants' 4 with Jay Cutler throwing the ball behind Brandon Marshall.
    Why Marc Trestman left three points on the field was a bit of a mystery.
    Not to be deterred, Manning ran just four more plays before dropping on first and 10 from his own 45 to find a wide open Tim Jennings at his 48 with nothing but painted green grass between him and the endzone. It was 7-0 Bears and the game was over, so it seemed.
    The Giants would tie the score twice and close to within six points at 27-21 with six seconds left in the third quarter, but the outcome was never really in doubt, or was it?
    Other than Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle, and a rejuvenated Brandon Jacobs, who seemed determined to prove he doesn't belong on the street, the opponent was a Giants team seemingly bent on proving it deserved to be 0-6. But the Bears just didn't seem to want to let them do it.
    To the Bears credit, there was improvement in several areas from their disappointing performance four days earlier against the Saints.
    Jay Cutler was rarely pressured and never sacked. While the Giants did almost no blitzing, the Bears' offensive line appeared to have cleaned up whatever communication and reading problems it was having.
    Cutler targeted eight different receivers in the first three quarters, two more than he targeted in the first five games combined.
    And the passing game was again productive, if less than consistent or in rhythm.
    Unfortunately, there was no improvement from a front four that once again failed to provide any meaningful pressure on Manning. The Bears' only quarterback sack came from Lance Briggs on a blitz.
    Also disappointing was the tally at the end of the third quarter that showed the Bears had run the ball just 15 times and dropped to pass 30 times. At least Trestman has never threatened to get off the bus running.
    And with all of that, the Bears kept a woeful Giants team in the game, turning the ball over with 5:00 remaining at their own 11 and watching them drive to the Bears' 35, mainly on the running of Jacobs, before Manning put both teams out of their misery, overthrowing his tight end, Brandon Myers, and finding Jennings for his second pick of the game.
    Yes, the Bears are 4-2 with 10 days rest before traveling to Washington. But they left this game with more questions to answer than they went in with.
    He also saw to it that Brandon Marshall's nine targets were almost twice as many as the five he aimed at Matt Forte and Martellus Bennett, and four for Alshon Jeffery. Earl Bennett was targeted once and Joe Anderson, Michael Bush and Tony Fiammetta were each targeted for the first time this season, Fiammetta catching the pass for a 30-yard gain that set up the Bears second touchdown.
    Yes, the Bears are 4-2 with 10 days rest before traveling to Washington. But they left this game with more questions to answer than they went in with.
    He also saw to it that Brandon Marshall's nine targets were almost twice as many as the five he aimed at Matt Forte and Martellus Bennett, and four for Alshon Jeffery. Earl Bennett was targeted once and Joe Anderson, Michael Bush and Tony Fiammetta were each targeted for the first time this season, Fiammetta catching the pass for a 30-yard gain that set up the Bears second touchdown.
    • Hub Arkush covers the Bears for Shaw Media and HubArkush.com. Write to him at harkush@shawmedia.com.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Alex Brown was just on the score, said the that Shea isn't good(as if we didn't already no that) and that you cannot blame Mel Tucker for this debacle b/c the Cover 2 requires the front 4 to be able to pressure the qb and the team does not have the horses to go 4 on 5 and get qb pressures.

I tend to agree, I think the team will next year either have to completely retool to continue on w/the cover 2 or they'll need to retool and allow the DC to actually run his D and not what the previous regime ran.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I hate to raise the question but if the mass injuries continue at what point do you question the strenght and conditioning coach?
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,230 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Boy, I hate to look at this through a half empty glass, but all this game did is make me worried. We played an 0-5 team with a very weak D that is struggling this year. While we were able to move the ball, so were they. We did stop them a few times, but the reality is that the Giants were able to move the ball at will. And we only get a win because of a late minute interception. We were about to lose that game by a point if Jennings had not come through.

Previously, we were wasting our D with the O's inability to score points. Now we are wasting our O's ability to score points with our lack of D. If we could actually ever put the two together and be consistent, we automatically rise to one of the top teams. This in a nutshell is Emery and Trestmans challenge. The Redskins are not a very good team, but they are better than the Giants. We SHOULD win that game, but right now, IMO the results are up for grabs.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    BiH, and to everyone else worried, again this is Thurs Night Football, and these games are always bad. Do you really think Dallas can go toe for toe w/Den? I don't, and I am kind of look at it like that, If Dallas can go to the last min w/Den then why wouldn't NYG's be able to keep it close against Chi?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Smoking Jay is back and he doesn't give a fuck...
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    So many good things happened in this game. But the best, I think, is that this may go down as "The Game" where Jay Cutler finally bought-in to Marc Trestman's quarterback whisperer teachings:

1. Throw the ball (safely) away, rather than take a sack or throw an interception.
    2. Get the ball out of your hands quickly to avoid sacks and help out the OL a bit.
    3. Have 100% perfect "body language" so the sports media people can't rip 'ya for being evil incarnate. Okay, I threw this one in to be funny :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tey216

tey216 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I thought Mel made a mistake when he stopped Blitzing Eli... The blitzing early on caused the two INT's... After that he started dropping everyone back into coverage and led the Giants to march the ball down the field... They are gonna have to take more chances on D... The corners can get picks in Man to Man coverage as two of those picks were in Man... That drop back everyone into coverage is not working with that D line...