Chi v NY what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 10, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I noticed that too and agree. Same thing in the Pitt game. Unless something changes dramatically on the DL, Tucker must blitz frequently (take the risk). The front 4 are getting almost no pressure on their own and good QBs will pick apart any coverage with that kind of time. It's a risk you have to take and will get occasionally burned for, but blitzing LBs is vital from now on IMHO.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    I agree. But it's sure not a good situation when you HAVE to have a steady diet of blitz. The best teams will eat us alive. But I recognize we don't have much of a choice. If we don't get pressure on QB's, we'll get eaten alive too. It's a really tough situation either way.
  3. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I know I'm the noob here so I totally don't have the right to say "I told you so", so I won't, but from the beginning of this season every post I've made is about how bad our D is. I think we've added a lot more fans to that bandwagon last night. We used to call for the head of the Offensive coaches, but here we are in the twilight zone calling for Tuckers head. However I'm a fair man, there are a LOT of injuries, and every now and then there is a nice turnover. Still though, even at the beginning of the season they were "off". Another fan hit it on the head in the chat yesterday, the interceptions and turnovers seem to be more of "in the right place at the right time" than actually reading the QB and the play. This of course excludes Tillman. Eli is the turnover king, so I barely count the INTs last night. Also it was Eli's game to lose. If he would have thrown that last pass just a hair lower, it may have been a TD, or most certainly would have been a TD a couple of plays later.

Long story short is we struggled HARD on a 0-5 team. The D let them march over 80 yards to a TD on two different occasions. Not to mention their last possession almost would have been a TD if not for the Eli mistake.

I say it all the time: FUNDAMENTALS. Tackling... Again in the chat fans were astonished how 5 Bears could be around a RB and he's still breaking through. That would not be the case in a Hot Rod coaching era.

Peppers stinks. Briggs can't call plays. DL is in bad shape. No pass rush. At what point do we worry? It's like a see-saw: either our o stinks or our d stinks. We aren't lucky enough to have both teams playing well.

But to be optimistic the offense is really doing well relative to how bad we were last year. I personally hate the "good Jay / bad Jay" talk. I do use the terms but it really isn't fair. Jay now has an arsenal around him and if the O line can keep up the work and open some holes while protecting Jay, we'll have a decent offense.

Special teams: Gould is gold. But I'm no longer on the Hester bandwagon. I know he is the spokeschild for Bears awesomeness, but he's just a standard player now. If you don't want to believe that, then at least blame the rest of the ST for not blocking for him. Last night he spent most his time running into the pack and getting stuffed at the 15 yard line. But ST is the least of our worries, if they can just maintain, we are ok.

D folks, all our topics should be about D.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    To be fair the the D got a pass b/c of the inj's in pre season and letting starters get up to speed, and it was, glaciorously slow mind you, improving. Melton/Collins sealed the deal on the full tilt reversal of that though, and the D is now down and out. Paea and Tillman being hurt exasporated it even more.

I know he's not that good, but I'm stunned they haven't brought Big Toe back, he was at least good at run stuffing, and he has to be better then Wootton at DT meaning Shea is starting DE.

btw, just b/c your new doesn't mean you cannot speak your mind. This isn't he type of board to jump on "newbies" unless their looking to flame and be internet tough guys.

Good call about worrying about the D from the get go.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Toe: Whatever gets Woot back to the outside and Shea on the bench is a help. At least then maybe we won't be helping has-beens like Dwyer & Jacobs look like Eric Dickerson.
  6. saracen31

saracen31 Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm curious why you keep saying this when Dallas and Denver played Sunday afternoon at 3:30 pm?
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    It was a Thursday game in Ric's time zone. He lives in a remote place and Ski ships him the game videos. The man hanging onto the rope is Ric himself. The mail plane couldn't land so Ric had to grab the rope as the plane made a slow pass (a lot of effort, especially if the game vid is of a Bears loss).

[​IMG]

He won't see the Bears/Giants game until next Wednesday, and that's only if the plane can "make the drop" over his home. Typhoons and all, often delay the drop.

[​IMG]

During fall floods, they often have to bring in the video taped games on a water buffalo.

[​IMG]

Ski only tapes and ships the games to 'ya if you are a "Superfan" subscriber AND you also live over 37 time zones away from Chicago. So far, only Ric qualifies.

Although we suspect our member, jackiejokeman, aka JJ, lives pretty "far out" judging by his interesting, but excellent posts and threads here.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    could've sworn that was a thrus night game, if it wasn't then I keep saying it b/c I'm a moron ;p
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Yeah, I had no idea of WTF you were talking about there.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    BTW, welcome to the message board. Hope we didn't scare you away after your first post. Ric will be back on his meds soon, and it will all be "good" .......at least he'll know what day it is. :-)
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    man have I become JJ light? that's it i'm taking some time off......:oops:
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß

I look forward to your posts here every day Ric. You're definitely one of the posters here that I look forward to reading your stuff each day.......even when I don't agree with something, I can at least see the logic behind your posts.

Sometimes it's good to "keep it light" here. It lightens up my day to laugh a bit :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    JABF, i thought that guy behind the plane was Angelo? :)
    • Like Like x 2
  14. BearsWin

BearsWin Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I must admit, I jumped on your "d is bad" bandwagon last night. I couldn't believe how a team with a really bad offensive line (so I read over and over), could get a 300 lb retiree a 100 yard rushing game and allow Eli the turnover machine time to over come 3rd and long over and over and over and....

My hope is that Emery next off season does to the D-line what he did to the O-line this year. There are other needs, but none higher. Good news is that the Bears are already spending major money on the D-line, so releasing Peppers and reworking or releasing Melton should be able to pay for the turnaround without stripping monies from other units!
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    It just looks like the same airline. Jerry does travel "Rope Class" now that he's lost his job. It's a cheap, but brutal way to travel (especially on overseas flights). And changing flights is pretty tough too. Here's Jerry on a recent trip to London, making a plane change near New York.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  16. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    UGH. Why do we insist on running it up the middle when it rarely works? Our o-line is just capable enough at the pass block, but they have not developed run blocking. Run it off tackle or pitch it outside.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    It's a Yoda mind game. Our opponents know we can't run it up the middle, so we run it up the middle knowing that they know that we know that we can't run it up the middle.
    I may have scrambled something in my head trying to think this through. I think I need to draw this out. First, I need a beer....
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    Every Bears fan KNOWS you can't pull that off unless you have THIS guy. Little Garrett Wolfe, right up the gut.

[​IMG]
  19. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    15 looks familiar . . . ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    He may be small enough to fit through the coin slot openings that Bush and Forte can't fit through. Or, we don't fool ourselves and run outside.
    • Like Like x 1