Chi v NY what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!

LOL, ^^^^^ ^THIS.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    That's why I said you cannot put all this on Tucker; the cover 2 is not his scheme, he set it up for the comfort of the vet D players on this team and didn't see a reason to fix what wasn't broken. Fans need to give him 1-2 yrs to see if he can impliment HIS def w/his players(I see a mass exodus of lovie guys, saw it coming in the offseason), but b/c of key inj's it's been exasporated. Not sure, even if he does run his own scheme that it's going to make a difference w/no horses in the front 4.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,091 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,496ß
    I think a lot of us fans (me included) thought this would be more of a seamless transition, but now in hindsight, it's a much bigger deal. Two new starting LB's, and scraping the bottom of the barrel for DL guys (basically playing any "warm body" with a pulse). Urlacher's play may not be missed, but his quarterbacking the defense may be a bigger deal than we originally thought. At times the "D" isn't set for the plays that are being executed and they get exposed out-of-position. I wonder if this is a problem with Briggs being new to the setting of the defense for these plays. And finally, I think losing Rod Marinelli was a greater loss than we originally believed. He had that patched up, injury riddled Dallas "D" playing solid ball last night. He was coaching his butt off, and the players were ballin for him.

You add all of this together and you realize it isn't going to be a seamless transition with this "D" and far from it.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    ya but his play on the field would have been a bigger hendorance then anyone is imagining; he struggled, even in his prime, w/OL getting to the 2nd level, imagine a gimpy old BU w/this DL in front of him. He might have gotten others into the right position, but he would not have been able to cover his own area.

The SAM LB wasn't a big issue, the MLB was b/c no one else was capable of calling the correct plays, but the actual play was better. The front 4, regardless was what has sunk the D ship, Peppers is actually 1 yr to old now, Melton was showing why the Bears FT'd him, and Shea isn't what he needs to be. Wootton isn't enough on his own, and Paea was there to stop the run(which he was doing before getting hurt). The inj's were the death knell though, there is no recovering from 2 the starting/backup DT going down and the starting MLB to boot.

5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,091 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,496ß
    Ric, I wasn't suggesting we should have kept Brian. On the contrary. But I do think there may be a drop in setting the defense, with Briggs stepping in now. And I'm also not slamming Briggs. I'm just feeling that the quarterbacking of the defense may have had an additional bump in the road with this transition.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    oh no doubt, the D isn't getting set up correctly, it's just not the primary issue, nor is the DC(necessarily). I think the D's problems come form the front 4, lack of ability and inj's. Then from the other inj's, both mild and serious(tillmans hammy, Andersons back, DJ and Peppers pre season inj's, DJ's new chest inj, losing Melton and Collins, and Paea(stephan only for awhile).
    Next season when guys from Lovie's world are gone, and the team starts to rebuild I think we'll get a better picture of if Mel's good enough or not b/c then he'll be able to run his scheme and not Lovie's or Rod's or whoevers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    The question I have to ask is why is it we can't win by bigger numbers.

8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,753 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    Ric, Dallas had 3 of their 4 starting DLs out yesterday. And SD has 2 starting DLs and 2 starting LBs out tonight. Playing backups, rookies, and udfas both. But both BALLED on defense and got it done.

We haven't stopped anyone. Even over the hill RBs like Dwyer and Jacobs and shitty QBs like Ponder. Couldn't sack an immobile QB like Eli even behind a terrible OL. Yeah, I know injuries play a big role, I get that, but Tucker is not doing a good job, end of story. True Dat.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    Did something happen to the Cowboys during the game? Their wk six inj report only shows D Ware as out of the game on the DL, and the only DT, Jason Hatcher was probable...how did they get to the 3rd and 4th deep guys if only 2 were possibly out and were not at the same position? Did they take on inj's in the game?

Same w/SD, they didn't have one guy on the inj report for week 6 that played on the DL, what happened to them to where they went to the bench? LB's could hurt, if they are playing a 3-4 still, but in a 4-3 w/the Bears scheme the front 4 have to be the ones pressuring the qb.

I need more information about what happened to those teams before I comment on the rest.

10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,753 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    On Sunday, New England was facing and contained one of the NFL's best QBs and best offenses. Wilfork and Mayo were both out. In fact, NE started two rookie DTs--one is a udfa and the other is a late rounder they signed off waivers after the season started.

So, I call BULLSHIT on the excuses for Tucker. We aren't the only team to lose a pro bowler on D (Matthews, Wilfork, Ware). We aren't the only team to be "thin" on the DL. We aren't the only team to have find ways to "manufacture" an effective pass rush. The other clubs are getting it done and putting up stout defensive performances. We aren't.

The coaching staff can't escape blame for that and it falls ultimately on Tucker for D. It is NOT WORKING, Mel, so CHANGE SOMETHING.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1