Chi v Oak post game talk

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 24, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    492ß

That's exactly what I was thinking during the game. Blanchard couldn't possibly be worse than McCown, and he has (hopefully) a high ceiling. Why dink around with McCown, an old guy who never could play the game at a high level, and is on the decline? Edwards and Palmer are really no better than McCown, and maybe even worse, so surely we won't keep them (either of them) beyond what we HAVE to, until Blanchard can come back.

If for ANY reason, Blanchard is not the promising developmental QB in Trestman's eyes, then we need to get a young "project" next year in the draft. Because even if Cutler DOES turn out to be our long term QB, we still need a viable backup. This McCown, Edwards, Palmer stuff is sad. Real sad to watch.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Random thought: The way it looks now, of all the rookies: we have 3 potential starters, and Frey might be the nickelback. Especially with the offensive line so damn dominant in the running game 2 weeks in a row, if everything plays out right, this might be the draft that cements Emery as a long term GM (I'd like to think the standard is a little higher for a GM these days).
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Dude, I'm with ya there. I really think they should've drafted one, and hell, Matt Scott was a consensus 4th round projection that went undrafted. I've just been saying, the boat has sailed at this point, and we're gonna sink with the lack of talent available.

I'll add to that: Emery deserves any blame when/if the offense falters without Jay.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,746 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    721ß
    I think the team will be fine either way w/or w/out JC. I'm more worried about the backup, I'm hoping they throw Blanchard on the Pup, and then draft another potential starter qb next year regardless if they sign Cutler or not. They just never need to have a bum like McCown on the team; the fact that some think this guy is a "safe" "game manager" is unbelievable. he's just flat horrid.

Emery has shown that he can draft well, especially in the late rounds.

btw did Shea not make a play this past game? One mention of him in about 6 articles and it wasn't about him making a play but that he was on the outside w/Peppers w/Wootton on the inside...
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,760 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,370ß
    I watched him and my comments are mixed.

1) There were times when he looked like a raw rookie and completely lost his composure. The best example of that was the pick he threw. One reason for having a cool headed "game manager type" is that he doesn't make bonehead throws like that under pressure. Earlier he threw one away when everyone was covered and he should have done the same with that one or taken the sack for a five yard loss. His timing on hands offs to his backs also showed they need some work on that in practice. The running plays were very slow developing and telegraphed. But, the run blocking by Webb and EWill was atrocious. After every run I'd see one or the other or both just standing there clearly having missed the block on their guy who ended up either making the tackle or being in on it. EWill is a total waste and needs to be gone and Webb is right behind him. Maybe they can share the expenses of a cab ride to O'Hare.

2) In his defense I'd simply point out that he wasn't playing with the 1st team guys and if he was some of those mistakes would not have happened. Having Forte as your #1 RB and guys like Jeffery and Marshall as your top WRs instead of a midget like Weems and rookies like Wilson and Tolliver does make a difference. He made a nice throw on a big third down play only to have Mc Oaf called for holding and it was sooooo obvious I could see it on a very bad satellite feed I was watching on. Onobun dropped another one of his passes as well proving that he's an all around butterfingers no matter whose at QB. Boggs snaps the ball prematurely while he was trying to call an audible and I don't know who to blame for that. McCown did clap his hands like he was calling for the ball soooo....???

I'm gonna give him a pass just this one time. While it's true that he stunk up the place I also know he's far better than that and everybody has a bad game once in a while. Lord knows we've seen far more out of Cutler. I still believe McCown is a decent #2 guy but it's obvious that if we lose Cutler the offense won't function like it did to open the game. I'm hoping Blanchard isn't out for long and that we don't need to put him on IR to protect him because he seems to be coming along nicely and should be able to get to the #2 spot with more experience. With the exception of his arm strength (not bad, but not Cutler either) I think he's a virtual clone of Cutler and can run the same plays the same way. With McCown I have my doubts.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,760 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,370ß
    Overall and by position:

1) QB; Well 'nuff said about McCown above. Cutler looked good and he's getting the ball out quickly in the way he needs to in that offense. A lot of his throws reminded me of his play here in Denver where he made a lot of 10-15 yard completions on slants, digs and crossing routes against zones. That read and throw he made to Bennett was brilliant and that boy needs to learn to make that catch. It was a million dollar throw followed by a ten cent catch. He had another nice read on that throw to an uncovered Onobun and even thought the ball was slightly under thrown the guy has to make that catch. That should have been an easy six and that two TD passes Onobun has dropped so far. (more on him later). The whole offensive tempo and their confidence was high while Jay was running the show and Trestman mixed his plays well.

2) RB; Matt Forte is a stud! To me he looks a step faster than he's ever looked before. I thought they had him on that little pass to the flat but he just accelerated away for the first tackler so fast and then kept it going as he tight roped it all the way in. Michael Bush is another stud and is every bit the power back compliment to Forte. That guy simply can't lose yardage as long as the run him straight at people. He's too quick and to powerful to arm tackle and it usually takes more than one guy to stop him once he's got a head of steam up. To me Ford is kind of a mini Bush and another pretty productive North/South runner with a little shake and bake to him. I love Armando Allen's big play potential but overall Ford may be the better back for the Bears.

3) TE; Maneri blocks very well, Onobun is showing why he can't stick and Bennett needs to make the tough catches AND the easy ones but his blocking is first rate. I truly believe Onobun may have a vision problem that needs to be checked out. He seems to lack depth perception. I mean he's looking right at the ball and yet he like an outfielder who can't judge where a fly ball is gonna land. I've played ball with guys like that and coached kids who had that problem and they have trouble playing the ball in the air. Especially when it's a little short of the spot they anchor in. I could be wrong and he may just suck at catching a football but he drew such raves in the OTAs and they say his blocking is improving so I'd at least send him to have his eyes checked to make sure that's not the problem. If that isn't it I'd screw the blocking practice and have him spend the entire workout in front of a jugs machine. It sure helped Jennings and if the kid has the athletic ability they say he has he's worth trying to save. Maybe?

4) WR; Marshall had a bad game, no biggie, and Jeffery took up the slack as the #2 guy just like it's supposed to work. Wilson proved that they have to keep him now and teach him to play STeams if that's what it takes. The kid knows how to play WR now and in another three years he and Jeffery could well be a top receiving duo when Marshall hangs it up. Joe Anderson is just too good and all around player to let go and you know Bennett will be back if and when he's cleared medically. The only question with him is whether he can stay healthy all season long. That's not his strong suit. Now that Bowman is hurt I'd day the pretty much assures that Weems will stick but I don't see him having much if any impact offensively.

5)OL; Saved the best for last. The right side of the line is much improved with Mills and Long. They're hungry and they want to be great lineman which is one hell of a switch from Mc Oaf who proved once again why he lost his job. A totally unnecessary holding call on a key 3rd down completion and one of the few false start penalties (what else is new) the line has committed all preseason and some very mediocre run blocking. The only thing that may save him is if Scott plays even worse than he does. EWill is also a waste. Now back to the good. Slauson is a very nice pickup and young enough to know that he and Long can be the OGs here for a very long time and Emery made the smart move beefing up the middle of the line because Jay has time to throw and room to step up in the pocket that he never had before. Garza is still a weak point but he's smart, durable and better with the guys around him that he was before. WTF was that botched snap all about though? Brain fart?

I'll look at the D later on. Time to shove off and go play some music today.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    I don't disagree with anything you said on its face, Ric.

Marty is a big upgrade as an every down TE over anything we have had in a decade (remember Olsen was basically just a big wideout, he couldn't block in line for shit). I'm not saying Bennett is an elite all around TE by any means, just that we have gone from zip at the position (with Davis) to middle-of-the-road. We will definitely need to draft and develop a TE in '14, something Debord sucked at like most of the prior regime's positional coaches (Drake, Tice, etc).

Like it or not, McCown is on the team since he's cheap, knows the system, has starting experience, and Blanchard's injury pretty much ended whatever chance he had to show himself worthy of a #2 job (at least for now). I can't imagine Edwards or Palmer are anything more than PS4 camp arms who will be cut soon thereafter. I know how much you hate this but we have no other viable alternative right now as a #2. Like with TE, we will need to draft and develop a young QB next offseason. As I've said before, if Jay goes down for any serious length of time, it doesn't matter if McC or Blanch or Joe Blow is the primary backup--it's fat lady singing time either way.

And despite the usual caveats (it's only PS, rookie mistakes will happen), Mills showed again why he's >> Webb. JW continues to suck balls even in a reserve role vs. other teams' reserves. I thought he would probably sneak in anyway as a swing T, but I'm not so sure anymore. Mental lapses and penalties continue to show why he was such a failure as a starter. The guy's flaws even as a bench player are increasingly being exposed by a new coaching staff that has far less tolerance for bs than Team Lovie/Tice did.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    Blanchard's injury was just a setback, not a permanent thing. He lost the opportunity to get more reps and prove himself worthy of risking the backup job to. But that doesn't mean that he can't be elevated there during the RS once he gets back. McC/Edwards/Palmer can all be cut and called back if needed virtually at will. They're all just placeholders at this point.

Beating a dead horse here yet again, but as much as we pine away for draftee/developing QB, THERE WAS NO ONE WORTH TAKING THIS YEAR AT OUR PICKS. Can we please drop this total-nonstarter now? This issue will have to wait until '14 as there was no other choice. Would you all rather have passed on Greene or Mills for some trash rookie QB who's no better than Blanchard??? That would have been really dumb.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Bet a dollar to a doughnut, Walters' wallet will be a little lighter soon for that Streater concussion.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    492ß
    MP, I agree with all of that. I wasn't complaining about not getting a QB in 2013. My only point is that I'd like to see us bring in a solid youngster to develop in 2014 - and ONLY if Blanchard is not seen by Trestman as already being our guy to develop. If Blanchard is "The Guy" to develop, then we're set. And I also agree that it's not a major injury he sustained. We're both on the same page here.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    JABF, I meant that more for Ric who, despite me sympathizing with his good points about "vet backups", continues to talk about not drafting a QB this year as though it were some sort of unpardonable sin. There were no good options for us there given the crappy college class, our pick status, and our other pressing needs. Drafting Nathan Enderle 2.0 accomplishes nothing other than wasting a pic JA-style (and we now have a GM who seems to be getting mileage out of later rounders).

Sorry, it may not be ideal, but we are still a year away from being free of the burden of having to keep a vet backing QB on the roster. Blanchard missing most of preseason pretty much ended that hope.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    296ß
    J99,

All of the receivers outside of Forte seemed to have a case of the "dropsies".

I'm hoping its just rust because when they did catch it they did ok.

Kind of that two steps forward one step back pre season game stuff
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    I could care less about Marshall's drops. He had a bad game, no biggie. I'd rather him drop 5 easy balls and stay unhurt in preseason than the opposite.

MBennett was another story. He hasn't had the greatest of hands in his career and isn't the proven star that Marshall is. That was a disappointment but since they were his first targets of whole PS its nothing to panic about yet.
  14. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Actually, I'd rather the Bears do snag an additional QB in the next draft, If both turn out to be good to great, then we get to keep the better of the two, while garnering additional high draft picks in the process. Plus, competition is good.

Make no mistake, I WANT to see Blanchard make it. But I expect him to EARN it, not be GIVEN it.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I know it's just PS but I felt like a kid watching Ford's double spins.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +275 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    it was great to see cutler smiling, he was looking relaxed and confident. it looks like he likes his new oline. lets not forget, 4 new guys from last year! he looked relaxed and played that way. raiders are bad, but this is a great sign. once again, im feeling pumped bout this season, we could make a splash (love longs attitude, he looks kind to his teammates, easy going and razor' tako-no-shit attitude toward opponents)
  17. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wasn't it nice to see a Bears offense do what its designed to do for once ?? Aside from the dropped passes which were overcome on occasion
    Yeah the Raiders are bad. The first team did do their jobs and exploited that rather well

Loving it Go Bears
    • Like Like x 1
  18. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Yep. I don't think I've seen him catch one ball.
  19. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Another poster has brought up and thinks Onobun has a vision issue REALLY ??

How long has he been in the league ??? and with how many teams

you would think this may have been already addressed if this were the case

Not impressed with him in receiving aspects
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,760 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,370ß
    Good post MP. Emery has already stated that he would have liked to have drafted a QB this past spring but with other needs taking a priority and not having a 3rd round pick he just couldn't get it done. I think Blanchard looks like he might be that guy we need to step into the #2 spot. He doesn't have Cutler's arm (but who does) but he's got all the rest of the tools as far as mobility and having been winner in college big time and his TD/Int ratio was terrific so he can read defenses and knows how to protect the ball. So he caught a bad break (no pun intended) and he needs to sit out for a bit. Hopefully in another week or two he can take snaps again.

Another thing to keep in mind is that McCown is playing with the 2nd/3rd stringers and our backups at that level aren't very good. Onobun dropped a TD pass from him last week and another pass from him this week, his protection has been shitty, and he's played most of his snaps without Forte or Bush and with Weems and other 3rd stringers as his WRs. He didn't play a very good game Friday night and made a huge mistake with that pick but he wasn't getting any time to read routes or room to step up and throw. Playing with the starters he's look much better and for now he's an adequate backup based on whose available and what we can afford with the cap as it is.

Interestingly enough it looks like the Packers are gonna keep Vince Young as their #2 and cut Graham Harrell. If that happens I wonder if Emery will discard Palmer or Green and bring him in. He backed Rodgers last season and he's certainly got some experience running a WCO type offense having played in GB. He's young (28), about Cutler's size, played in a pass oriented college offense, and he knows the Packer offense so I'll be interested to see if Emery makes a move on him.