Chi v Oak post game talk

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 24, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Haven't got to watch the game, between a late night and early morning yesterday and an early morning today I went to bed well before the 10-11 pm showing of the game down here. I have it recorded, cannot wait to watch it, but some things I got from reading this morning:
    Good to see a nice spread of the ball, if Cutler can learn to do this all the time, good things are going to happen.
    Bostic is still real raw on pass D, and I suspect that DJ Williams might well end up being the starting MLB b/c of it...but no idea until he gets healthy.
    I feel bad for Allen, I think he would have got that 3rd rb spot if he stayed healthy. Gonna be hard to unseat a younger RB though and Ford looks like a solid 3rd.
    See ya Webb, if you cannot even play vs the 2nd's then you do no good as backup; same goes for McCown, but somehow he'll find a way to slime his way onto the team.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    As it's always said, it's preseason...

Still, gotta like seeing the OL, no matter who they're against, do what's expected. Good chemistry forming pockets giving Cutler time, sealing the edges on runs, moving the LOS, etc. Also love the Long facepalm of the Raider messing w/Manon. lol

Everybody wants Jay not to target just Marshall & what happens? Everybody but Jeffery drops the ball. *sigh* Marshall had an especially terrible time from drops to slapping the water bottle from the kid's hand on the sideline. See Bennett channeling his Dallas drops. WTF...

A lot of drops but this receiving corp blocks...period.

Forte seems to see the seams better this year. Gone, at least for now, are the happy feet he was acquiring from last year. I'm sure it's from holes that weren't there before for the most part but his indecision wasn't there.

Hope this showing solidifies a spot for Ford. Love this kid...

Love seeing some blitzs. Almost forgot what those were like...

McCown... Oh dear God...

But still, it's the preseason...

• Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    See Bennett channeling his Dallas drops. WTF...

I'm glad you pointed that out Tarkus, people want to pretend that his problems in D were b/c of Witten, but in reality he was given many a chance to earn playing time there, and he never earned it. And he was very average in a TE friendly NY system and in a contract year. I know he's an upgrade from what we have had since Olsen, but I'm not sure that he's quite what everyone is expecting.

any kind of agressive D will be a nice change of pace from the Lovie system of bend/break.

Keep telling people that McCown sucks, and suck does not make you BU QB, it makes you bad qb.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Seems like we're going for a solid TE with the mortar fire approach...1 landing here, 1 way over there.

Either we have a hybrid in Greg Olsen who can run/catch but not block or Martellus "Manos de Piedra" Bennett (hands of stone) who can block. Maddening...

Amen...

Always been a disciple of a D makes offense react, not the other way around.

This guy has heartache written all over him. He has to go in for some reason, we better have the tissues handy cuz we'll be cryin' a river...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,002ß
    I didn't see the game, but from reading, my impresson was that the pressurethat Cutler was used to having to work with moved from the 1st unit to the 2nd and third units. In other words, the 1st unit can nowprotect Jay effectively (lets see what the Giants and Txans can do to them), but now the 2nds and 3rd units are porous and still can't protect even against 2nd and 3rd DLs. So without seeing the game, I an't say if McCown sucked because he sucks or he sucks because he was running for his life all the time.

Every QB looks different when they feel they have time to work. Manning is not a very effective QB under pressure. Neither is Brady. They can pull a few Houdinis under pressure, but for the most part they don't get much done either when the are getting pressured.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Nothing against the guy (he hasn't lost a game for us), but Onubun has GOT to go.

Jay impressed me with the spreading of the ball, but that defense was total trash. This game was virtually no test to see if he's improved from last season, other than to spread the ball around. Given off of play last year, I'm going to assume the defense is really both awful while playing vanilla. They executed the passing game, with several athletic plays perfectly. The Bengals, week one, will show us how effective the passing game can and will be.

Dat Running Game. How sad is it that 2 rookies and a coach that know football were what it takes to get the best use of running backs?

Honestly, I don't know ANYTHING about Blanchard, but seeing that we don't know his ceiling or floor, I'd take the gamble, because Josh McCown just can't throw accurately, and the coaching staff drew back the offense, considerably. Either way, if Cutty goes down, we're screwed, but I'd take an unknown over that.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Off the top of my head, can't say exactly when the OL 1st string left but they played well into the 2nd half & there wasn't any great breakdown in protection compared to the 1st half IMO. Part of the problem is obviously that McCown is just not that good, in reading Ds to throwing. I also understand working with new WRs & such, which you have to give some leeway on but reading pro Ds is something he should have already mastered. He looks rookie-ish too many times out there.

Gonna take another look at the game but I just didn't see the pressure as being that great to explain his play away.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    "Honestly, I don't know ANYTHING about Blanchard, but seeing that we don't know his ceiling or floor, I'd take the gamble, because Josh McCown just can't throw accurately, and the coaching staff drew back the offense, considerably. Either way, if Cutty goes down, we're screwed, but I'd take an unknown over that.
    "

Hmmmm where have I been hearing that since before the draft?

• Like Like x 1
  9. WearyBear

WearyBear
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Yep. Jay was impressive but that was because he had time to throw. I was impressed overall with the first half although Marshall seemed to have a bad game.

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,323ß
    I agree with all of that.

1. Onobun is not NFL material. Period.

2. Even though the Raiders were not a solid test for our offense, I believe it was the PERFECT team for us to play. The 3rd game of the pre-season is the tuneup for the regular season for the starters. Last night's game allowed our #1's on offense to gain confidence in the Trestman offense, because they got to beat up on a weak team. They were able to get timing down and the confidence gained will make them a better unit going into the season. If we had played a super-solid opponent last night, we may have seen the offense look more out-of-sync and struggle. Some will say that we need those great tests now, but with a new coach, playbook and some key new players, I believe the confidence/timing thing is more important than a "Great Test" at this early point. They'll have plenty of opportunities to face great teams down the road.

3. I absolutely loved the blocking and running. The starting OL imposed its will on that defense. We had surge in short yardage situations and at the goal line. I haven't seen that in a Bears offensive line in years. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

4. The only decent receiving TE we have is Bennett. The others are pretty mediocre receiving. We need to draft a young stud next year who can catch the football.

• Like Like x 1