Chi v Oak post game talk

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 24, 2013.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

There's a lot deep thinking on this board and I like it!

Yes it could be a vision problem, yes he could just need more jugs machine work. I agree they will be looking for a released TE to bring in because it's obvious with this new system TE are going to be essential. (where's Martz?) At least they are not selling Onobun to be a top TE in the NFL like someone did last year with a similar player.

Just because Webb is on the team at this time doesn't mean he's made anything. 76 and 23 more to go...
    • Like Like x 2
  2. soulman

soulman

I think Trestman and his staff are the biggest bunch of realists we've seen around Chicago since Ditka and his crew. I think they're more diplomatic in the press than Ditka and Buddy Ryan were but I don't think there being any less honest with themselves or with their players. Ditka came in told the entire team what he was targeting and where HE was heading then challenged them follow. Some did and some got cut. I don't see it happening much differently here either.

Ditka could lead by example because his entire team knew what a tough sonuvabitch he was as a player. He got the respect of his players for that. Trestman leads by example from the cerebral standpoint of having coached under some of the best HC in the game and having had a hand in developing QBs and offenses that won Super Bowls. He'll get respect for that and because he's probably the hardest working guy on the entire team and coaching staff.

The way I see him right now is a guy who was passed over for HC gigs several times and fired as an OC more than he'd like to admit and now that he's finally got his shot he's not gonna fail if he can help it and anyone who isn't vested in joining him on his path won't be around very long. THAT is the principal reason why Emery stopped negotiating an extension with Cutler. If Jay isn't on board with him 100% then he'll find a QB who is. I think in his own way he made that very clear in his first press conference.

Personally I think Cutler is gonna thrive in this offense and we got a small glimpse of what's possible on Friday night. Take away about 5-6 dropped passes and he's 17-21 for over 200 yards in the first half and maybe one more score looking as comfortable in this offense as Aaron Rodgers does in the Packers. If he can do stuff like that most games Jay Cutler will retire as a Bear but if not the haters will get their wish sooner than later. Trestman will find the guy who can.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

As I said in a previous thread, the injury to Hayden was a blessing for this team. Frey looks like he could provide a big impact on defense. Hayden's best years are well behind him. Its time to see the young blood in the game. And Bostic looks ready to start from day 1.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

That's one of things I took away from Trestman's book. Is when he was fired from teams as OC it wasn't that he wasn't producing it's that they didn't like what the head coach did or didn't do so the whole crew gets fired even if you're doing your job. Sucks but that's the nature of NFL biss.
  5. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

They would not cut McCown during the season. Once he makes the roster as a veteran, his contract is guaranteed. What, they are going to cut him in week 3 to bring back Blanchard, pay him for the entire year, then bring him back in an emergency to pay him again? We are tight enough on the cap as it is.

So now Blanchard just missed out on those preseason games that were supposed to let Trestman learn enough about him to judge him as the backup QB. Did that injury to his knuckle give him valuable insight on how fast the NFL plays in a regular season game? He has not done anything on our roster to make him a flight risk.

The Bears were never going to risk giving the backup job to Blanchard this year. They just weren't. He has always been a longshot to make the roster. Once Blanchard is healthy, maybe he can be our 3rd string, or he spends another year on the practice squad. Why is this considered unbearable? Let him fight to earn the right to be the #2 next year. I don't know why you guys are so eager to just roll the dice.

The decision to cut McCown and go with a different backup QB needed to have been made in March. Or, at the very least, Emery needed to have stacked the roster with more competition than one UDFA whose sole experience is one year spent on the practice squad of a different coach. This is backup QB position we are talking about, not a backup safety.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus

While it's fair to cut McCown some slack for who he's playing with, I still don't like the lack of composure out there at times. Seems too rattled, too often & isn't making the 'game manager' type decisions needed. We know we're weak at places outside 1st string but a vet isn't supposed to add to them.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68

If he's cut, Blanchard will probably be scooped up off waivers and never make it to the PS. There's several QB hungry teams whose backup (or backup to the backup) is now starting. So, if the team wants to keep him they're gonna have to put him on the roster or IR him.

Look, you misunderstand me. I am not a McCown hater like some here. I get why he's on the team and don't disagree. But he also is just a temporary placeholder until someone younger is ready.
  8. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

I know you don't hate him. You suggested that we can cut him later in the season and pick him up in an emergency. That's not true. We'd have to pay his entire salary, and Blanchard is not ready to be a #2. That's all I'm saying.
  9. soulman

soulman

Exactly! Emery is never gonna make the mistake Angelo did and leave an underprepared younger QB as the #2 instead of an experienced vet even if that vet is no better than a "game manager" type. Even if we had drafted a QB in one of the earlier rounds he STILL wouldn't have been our #2 this year. Why some keep pushing that issue is beyond me. Emery's habits in this regard couldn't be any clearer.
  10. soulman

soulman

He had a bad game, made a bad decision and through a pick and also got more rattled than he should have after that bad snap. Everybody has one of those every so often and we shouldn't judge him just on that. Go back and look at his play in the last Viking game in 2012 and you'll see a much different QB. He's good enough to win against weaker defenses and that's about all you can expect out of most any #2 these days.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I'm just excited about having a coach who can develop a young QB, and am "chomping at the bit" to see if he can actually do this. I'm not sure if Blanchard is the guy for Trestman to develop - or if it's some future guy. But I'm just in that "can't wait" mode of excitement. I think that's a natural reaction after so many years of futility on the Bears in regards to developing our own QB. Even Cutler had to be brought in from the outside. Now (hopefully) we can watch a youngster developed by our own staff.

Should be pretty cool to watch this unfold. Hope it's Blanchard, but if not, that's fine.....just want to watch it happen with SOMEBODY.
  12. Tarkus

Tarkus

I like your approach much better. I'll buy in...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rogelio

Rogelio

Zero. They lost to the Packers twice, the Vikings, Texans, Seahawks and Niners. All playoff teams. Fucking stooge.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Rog, it wasn't just about win/losses. The Bears barely beat the Lions both times edging them out, and Car I think is what he's talking about. They didn't destroy al bad teams like good teams should do, ya it was only the 3 times but it shouldn't even be that high.

The Bears O also failed 5 times last year to score 20+ points, which is a pretty scewed stat since the team's D was first in scoring, so really it was more then just those 5 times that is also pretty bad, and again if the team gets into the mid 20's(like even an average O should) the team makes the playoffs by beating teams like GB and Vik's and Sea.
  15. soulman

soulman

Hub's an idiot and that was then and this is now. Different coaching staff and a wholly different approach on the offensive side of the ball and this one is scoring points. This offense should twice as effective as last years.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rogelio

Rogelio

I read "fail to polish off" as "lost to". Hub either A) thinks it to mean "blow out"; or 2) is a moron and too lazy to look it up, thinking Bears wouldn't remember what they actually did last year. I'm going to go with option 2.
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01

I won't argue it was poorly written and therrefore left up to interpretation, but he's on the radio a lot so I guess I'm looking at it from what he's said about last year and this year.
  18. BorisBear

BorisBear

I take the same assessments from that game as well. It has been many seasons since we've had a defensive coordinator who dials up aggressive blitzs. These are also some of the more physical receivers I have seen on the field as well in a while. It also feels nice to draft offensive linemen who are capable and don't have pre-existing injuries to nurse for a change!